Radian and CALX questions?

Ok so if i end up getting the Radian which one do i need?
My daughter is 38inches tall 28-30lbs and seated height is 13inches. do i need the 45 lbs rfing or will the 40lbs get her to 4 she is 2yr 5months right now.
And those who have both the Radian and the CALX which one do you perfer? I need to decide like yesterday so i can either get it ordered or go back to target and get the one they have on the self for 160.00 for the 65lb one

ADS

StillThankful

Your DD is a little taller and thinner than DD1 at her age.

At 2.5, DD was 32# and was 35". With about a 12" torso (I'm guessing). Now at 3y9m (on the 21st she'll be 3y10m), she is 41.5" and 39-40# with a 13" torso. She usually gains app. 5-6# a year. If your DD is the same, then she'll be app. 40# a little after 4.

That being said, you could get the 40# limit seat and be fine. I personally purchased the 45# limit, but we'll end of FFing her at 4--she's been asking to FF for a few months:)

Hope this helps.

well she is following the same growth patteren as her bother who is 10.8 and is 5foot tall and 70-75lbs so very tall and skinny skinny but on the other hand her sister is almost 9 and still fits in the symphony since she is only 4foot tall and only 53lbs, lol so these kids are all very different but dd#2 who needs the seat HATES ffing so i need something that will last.

StillThankful

well she is following the same growth patteren as her bother who is 10.8 and is 5foot tall and 70-75lbs so very tall and skinny skinny but on the other hand her sister is almost 9 and still fits in the symphony since she is only 4foot tall and only 53lbs, lol so these kids are all very different but dd#2 who needs the seat HATES ffing so i need something that will last.

The Radian XT and XTSL have a 45# RF limit. Maybe you can get one of those instead:) I have the Radian XTSL and DD has lots of room over her head still.

I don't have the CALX but I hear it's a narrow, tall seat--perhaps a good fit for your little one but it only has a 40# RF limit.

HappyMommy

I don't know if you are already aware of this, but the CA has a stated height limit of 40 inches for rear-facing so given that your child is already 38 inches maybe it isn't the best choice for you unless you are comfortable with disregarding the stated limit. On the other hand, the radians do not have a stated height limit for RF, they follow the 1 inch rule and the 80SL and XTSL go till 45 pounds RF as opposed to 40 pounds for the CA. Also, the radians can be tethered RF, thus limiting/preventing rebound versus the CA does not have this feature. FF the CA only goes to 50 pounds versus the radian 65sl go till 65 pounds and the radians 80sl and xtsl go until 80 pounds.

I don't know if you are already aware of this, but the CA has a stated height limit of 40 inches for rear-facing so given that your child is already 38 inches maybe it isn't the best choice for you unless you are comfortable with disregarding the stated limit. On the other hand, the radians do not have a stated height limit for RF, they follow the 1 inch rule and the 80SL and XTSL go till 45 pounds RF as opposed to 40 pounds for the CA. Also, the radians can be tethered RF, thus limiting/preventing rebound versus the CA does not have this feature. FF the CA only goes to 50 pounds versus the radian 65sl go till 65 pounds and the radians 80sl and xtsl go until 80 pounds.

I am aware of the height limit for the CA but if we got it i would just disregard it, as it is a suggestion since not all kids are the same size and shape.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd prefer the Radian, personally (IF it installed in my car...I can't get it in my Escape Rearfacing, it's just too long front-to-back for us to drive in front of it... but it's got nicer LATCH, better quality fabrics and construction, and can be tethered RF, which is a factor to ME for heavy/tall RF kids, though I don't think there's any data to prove to everyone that it's way safer). It's butt to top of head height that matters for RF, I guess for the Radian it's about 25, for the CALX it's 27 (???) (Torso height doesn't mean much, since the straps have to be at or below, anyway).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC