Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Minor Panic - Britax Frontier - adjustment and wrong seat???

ACK!!! I FINALLY convinced DH to let me buy new seats! (YAY!) ... so I got a Monterey and a Britax Frontier 85 ... I'm TOTALLY confused about the harness height ... it can't be adjusted??? Or am I confused? I bought it because I thought it would fit a 6yo boy longer because he can't sit properly in a booster.

So ... I am running out the door ... but if hubby finds out that I messed this up I am going to be in deep doo-doo! (Ok, maybe only mild, but still!)

Did I get the wrong seat? Am I confused? Can I adjust the harness height? PLEASE SAVE ME AND THIS SEAT
    Kathleen
    Wife to Mr. Mike and Mom to:
    B - 16, C - 15, T - 15, A - 14, H - 12,
    L - 10, J - 8, A - 8, R - 20mo!!
    I am seat and cover shopping!! 😁

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: Minor Panic - Britax Frontier - adjustment and wrong seat???

Of course the harness height can be adjusted. There are, I believe, nine separate height adjustments.

It's always wise to read the manual of the child restraint before making assumptions.

Carseat Crazy

Wow. Thanks for assuming I didn't read the manual

On page 55 "Securing your child" it only explains how to adjust how "big" the harness can be ... not how to adjust the height.

When I look on the back of the seat it says "Head rest adjustment is for booster mode only" and "Only adjust the head rest once the harness restraint has been removed. Remove screw to adjust head restraint"

SO ... I am thinking it's ridiculous that I wouldn't be able to adjust the height of the harness, but I don't see any explanation of how to do it. I just got the seat moments ago and am rushing out the door to teach a class at the gym so I did only scan the Table of Contents and look at the pages that seemed like they would offer any usable explanation.
    Kathleen

The section that explains harness height adjustment is on page 16, but really you should read it cover to cover before using it.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Carseat Crazy

OF COURSE I am going to read the manual before using it!

Excuse my panic when the stickers on the back say "DO NOT ADJUST" ... see, I READ those things and pay attention to them!!!! THAT'S why I was confused!!!!

So the harness CAN be adjusted with the bar on the back along those notches and the part of the headrest that it's referring to when it says "do not adjust" is a different part??? Makes sense. Like I said, it seemed ridiculous that you wouldn't be able to adjust it, I was just confused because the stickers say not to adjust the head rest!

(AND I need to know how it works before hubby gets home ... and he will be getting home the same time as me ... so now I know! )
    Kathleen

Senior Community Member tracee877's Avatar

The head rest adjusts up and down using the bar above the slots, you pull up on it and slide it up or down. The part you are reading on the seat is for booster mode only. That part of the head rest moves up even more after the screw is removed. HTH!
    Tracee - driving a 2013 Honda Crosstour & Mom to:
    Braydon 19 - driving his own car and now in the Army!
    Ashlee 17 - driving her own car
    Keegan 10 - still in his backless Affix

Yeah, they were being quite literal: you can not adjust literally the headrest in harness mode. But there is a level on the seat back, below the headrest that you can adjust.

Here's a pic of the back of the Frontier 85 and the old Frontier from the car-seat.org review a few months back. I believe the 85 is on the left, I circled the harness adjuster in green:
    Attached Images Attached Images