What seat would you get for a 45 pound 48 inch 7 YO?

todzwife

I have a super skinny almost 7 YO who is currently in a RN XT/ His shoulders are just now even w/ the top slots and his ears have about 5 inches before the top of the seat. I'm thinking he has another 6 months to a year left in it?? He's tiny.

I like him in it because buckling a booster w/3 across is a total PITA. Seriously. It's nice because he can buckle himself and I just check it after buckling his sister in.

What are my options when he outgrows the RN. He could very well be 8 years old by the time he does, so I'll be getting a booster for him. I need something pretty narrow. Right now we have 2 RN and a keyfit and there isn't any extra wiggle room...the baby will probably be in a coccoro by that time.

Suggestions?

ADS

Evolily

For his size, and narrowness, I'd get a Graco Turbobooster. I'd also have no issues moving him now if you wanted, at least for a trial run and booster training.

essnce629

The Recaro ProBooster is pretty narrow. We returned ours because DS1 (who will be 7 next month) complained that it was squishing his shoulders. He's broad shouldered though and 12lbs heavier than your DS.

ZephyrBlue

My 37lb, 7.5yo is harnessed in a Graco Nautilus. She loves it and doesn't want a booster, but I'm not sure it's narrow enough for your situation?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd get a narrow booster-- Turbo, Parkway SG, ProBooster if it's really that narrow, even the Pronto. What I do with a booster in a tight 3 across is leave it buckled, and just have the kid wiggle under the lap belt to get in and out, tightening it up after she gets in.

Qarin

How are the space and buckling possibilities if you move the baby from the Keyfit to a Radian, so you have a FF RN, a RF RN, and a booster?

BabyKaykes

He has 6 inches of growing room left. That's like, forever. Years.

But she said his shoulders are just now coming even with the top slots. I know they say it's technically "ok" to use the Radian with shoulders over the top slots, but would you do it?

Pixels

But she said his shoulders are just now coming even with the top slots. I know they say it's technically "ok" to use the Radian with shoulders over the top slots, but would you do it?

Yes. I believe that it is safe because the manufacturer says that it is. If I don't trust the manufacturer completely, then I won't buy a seat from them.

agurlsride

My dd is almost exactly the same size, she is 7, 49", and 47lbs. She rides in either an old style PW or a BG. Because she is so skinny I like to have her in a booster that will keep her from shifting in the seat. The TB that my mom has for her is too wide and she ends up all over the place. Perhaps something like the ProBooster or Monterey would be good.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
The ProBooster isn't all that narrow. It is at the base, but not at the shoulders. I cannot get it in my Jeep next to another seat. It is just too big. The Oobr is narrower overall IMO. I can get it three across in the Jeep and my husband's Corolla.

agurlsride

The ProBooster isn't all that narrow. It is at the base, but not at the shoulders. I cannot get it in my Jeep next to another seat. It is just too big. The Oobr is narrower overall IMO. I can get it three across in the Jeep and my husband's Corolla.

Do you think maybe she could do PB, rf'ing Cocorro, ffing RNXT since the base of the PB is narrower than the shoulders? Or perhaps the Monterey in the place of the PB, I read that the base of that one actually tapers towards the back allowing more room to buckle.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My dd is almost exactly the same size, she is 7, 49", and 47lbs. She rides in either an old style PW or a BG. Because she is so skinny I like to have her in a booster that will keep her from shifting in the seat. The TB that my mom has for her is too wide and she ends up all over the place. Perhaps something like the ProBooster or Monterey would be good.

FYI, the Monterey tends to NOT fit skinny kids well at all.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
Do you think maybe she could do PB, rf'ing Cocorro, ffing RNXT since the base of the PB is narrower than the shoulders? Or perhaps the Monterey in the place of the PB, I read that the base of that one actually tapers towards the back allowing more room to buckle.

That would probably work. Then the ProBooster could hang over the Cocorro a bit. I have all FFing seats so it doesn't work at all.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I need something pretty narrow. Right now we have 2 RN and a keyfit and there isn't any extra wiggle room...the baby will probably be in a coccoro by that time.

Suggestions?

Most kids can learn to buckle themselves into a booster - even in 3 across situations. It's not easy because you are: 1) buckling the seat belt, 2) on a flexible stalk, 3) that you can't see, 4) in tight quarters, but it is definitely doable. I don't have much experience with RN's but since they are among the narrowest seats, I'd try several boosters next to it to see which gives you the most room to maneuver. You might be able to push the installed seats a fraction off center to give a fraction more space between the seat and the booster. Also be aware that LATCH installations that sometimes limit access to neighboring seat belt.

Off topic - I really don't see much value in a Coccoro if you have a Keyfit and could move the baby into the RN after the oldest is in a booster. It's just not a very tall seat. . .

mlohry

My DS is very similiar in size and he outgrew his GN by harness height right about when he turned 7, he is now 7 and a half, at 1st we had him boostered in the GN and then one day we needed to clean it, so we put him in the TB and he much preferred it and I actually like how he fit in it better too, so we use only the TB now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC