Question Frustrated! Need convertible for small car...

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I'm trying to find a convertible car seat for my 1 year old. I'd love to keep her rear-facing. Unfortunately, the baby is tall and our car is a Toyota Echo, which has VERY little room in the back (a little bit less than the Subaru Forester). We've tried the First Years True Fit, Britax Boulevard, and Radian 65 so far and none of them fit. Any recommendations on what else to try? Am I going to have to settle for one of the smaller convertibles like the Coccoro in order to keep baby rf? Of course, such a seat will probably be outgrown quickly, since baby is at the 75 percentile for height. Or do I have to give up on extended rf with such a small car?

Thanks,
Alex

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Neither. Were you installing the seat more upright, or at the 45 degree newborn angle? The Radian may be tough, but the True Fit and Boulevard fit in small back seats very well. All seats but the True Fit can go as upright as 30 degrees. The True Fit can go to 35 (if 0 is upright and 90 is flat on the back). Basically, you can go as upright as 1 o'clock on a clock face, or as reclined as 1:30.

Wendy

Maedze

I agree, either the Boulevard or the True Fit will fit nicely as long as you install them nice and upright.

Two other seats that work very well in confined spaces and will keep your child rear facing for a long time yet are the Graco My Ride 65 and the Safety First Complete Air.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the quick responses!

I've heard about installing seats more upright, but it seems as though the manuals for the seats we tried state that with rf, the seats have to be installed fully reclined. So I'm confused! Are those instructions only for using the seat with a smaller baby? If so, why aren't instructions provided on how to install with a different angle? I just want to make sure that we're installing the seat safely!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's horribly confusing. Ready?

Seats must be in the recline mode rear facing. However, that doesn't mean they're usually forced into a 45 degree angle. You can keep it in the recline mode, but pull it away from the seat back an inch or two, then add weight at the foot of the seat. That will install it more upright. But reclined.

Wendy

Jennifer mom to my 7

And the britax manuals actually state that :) It is in their manual that the seat needs to be in recline mode for rear facing, but it can be between 30 and 45 degrees reclined.

Oh, and there are a couple of tricks to do this. One is to pull the seat away from the seat bight (crack) and when installing it, push down where the feet go, rather than where the baby's butt would go.

Ali

Definitely what Wendy said!

A neighbor has an Echo and you're right - it's tiny!

But, we had a 2 door 1994 Saturn Coupe when DD was younger and I was able to get a rearfacing Marathon in. It was quite reclined (she was an infant) which made the front passenger seat almost unusable, but if she had been older, it would have been fine.

You can see a pic here: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=439504&postcount=2.

Jocey'sMommy

i have installed my Marathon(same shell as the boulevard) in a VW Bug RFing at about a 30degree angle and still had room in the passenger seat for an adult(granted not a tall adult lol) It all depends on the angle ;) Center is also easier that outboard positions in small cars

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC