best option for my kiddos nyc visit

my kids are spending a week with Nana and Pop in the city, they are taking a trip out to Great grandmas in long island one day (Fiona is arriving Wed after Julianna has been there a few days so it should be Thurs)

I am sending Julianna with her turbobooster, but backless, since they are going to have to carry it on trains ect.. she will be 8 in a month. and she is a big hunk of kid, she has the genes from her dads dads side.. big italian woman.. she is 75th percentile all around..

But Fiona is 4.5 and built like my side petite, 41 inches 33 lbs. I am not comfortable with a high back booster for her even if they take the long island rail road and then get picked up by Great grandma, or an aunt, for 5 minutes, the parkway we have is for a 40 lber anyways.. she has a nautilus,but I hate to make my MIL and FIL carry a Nauti, or true fit or radian (those are the seats she could use) they are not in the best of health like they used to be.
I could pick up a scenera, maybe not that I need another seat, but she still can fit in one. I obviously would teach FIL how to install it when he is here Sat.. he knows how to buckle the seat up properly. I am sure he would install it properly if I taught him how.

What would you do in this case, Julianna is easy, but Fiona has me stumped. (I also do not have a lot to spend on seats)

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
You own two Turbos -- I'd give serious thought to putting her in one of those for the 5-minute ride with an adult in the back seat. As you wrote, you don't need more seats. :)

You own two Turbos -- I'd give serious thought to putting her in one of those for the 5-minute ride with an adult in the back seat. As you wrote, you don't need more seats. :)

I have 1 turbo.. it depends on if they are driving the whole way there or not... hubs said they might rent a car, if not maybe I will grab a backless harmony at walfart and give fiona the high back... if they go the whole way there they can have a nautilus.. I also have to find out how far the house is from the train.I am waiting ot hear from MIL

Sorry, I just went by the seats in your siggy.

lol I need to update the siggy, one of the turbos flew into the road and broke to peices.. (Hubs placed it on top of the car and slammed the door durning 3 across drama one day)
Fiona actually fits perfectly in the parkway for belt fit but the seat says she has to be 40 lbs to use it so that won't work.

Anyways we have a plan, I just talked to FIL, they are taking the train, and someone is going to pick them up, so I am going to put Fiona in the Turbo with the back on it, and get Julianna one of those cheap harmony backless seats from walmart for her ride. then I have the harmony in case I need it in a bind or something!

Wouldn't it have a 30# lower limit then, or am I misremembering?

I went out and looked and my manual says 40 lbs. Well it says children under 40 lbs are safer in a 5 pt harness, so I assume that means not to use it under 40 lbs.. maybe there is a sticker on the seat somewhere I am missing

I just got off the phone with britax, (asked about the weight on the parkway) now I feel bad for even considering putting her in a booster with no harness for a quick drive... should I not do it? She gave me this story about a kid under 40 lbs that was in a booster that just died in a crash.. great thanks.

Dillipop

I just got off the phone with britax, (asked about the weight on the parkway) now I feel bad for even considering putting her in a booster with no harness for a quick drive... should I not do it? She gave me this story about a kid under 40 lbs that was in a booster that just died in a crash.. great thanks.

The lady at Britax is an idiot. While ideally children should be over 40 pounds and over 4 years old, the parkway, iirc, allows children under 40 pounds to ride in it. She should have told you that the old parkway is for children 30+ pounds and left her opinion/stories out of it. We have no way of knowing if the child she was talking about was a 2 year old, had "buckled" themselves, etc. There is no way to know if that child was of an appropriate age to ride in a booster or not.

For a 5 minute trip from the train to Grandma's house with people who don't regularly transport children and a child who is over 4 years old, I would have no problem using the booster seat. The parkway is the easiest booster to use, because you don't have armrests to worry about. There is almost nothing to mess up. Plus, the parkway does not come apart at all, so is should be easier to take on the train, since you don't have to worry about it falling apart.

The parkway fits small children well. I would have no problem putting my 4 year old, 35 pound child in it for a once in a lifetime 5 minute ride. :twocents:

Jennifer mom to my 7

Technically, from rereading the manual for the old parkway, it doesn't seem to have any true weight limits, minimum or maximum. It does state that they feel a child under 40 pounds should be harnessed, but the real minimums are 38-60 inches, and that is all it really states. I would send the parkway, and let it go :)

Now, the parkway sg does state that the child must be at least 40 pounds.

yea she is 41 inches so that is fine... I am sending them with the parkway, and it is there if there is an emergency, now as luck would have it the plan has changed and Keith and I are going to meet them at the train station on sunday instead of mid week.. and they will just have my seats in my car, and no worries. the parkway will be at their house just in case there in an emergency and one of them needs to ride in a car or something.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you do opt to go with a harnessed seat (though I agree I'd be okay with her in a booster in the circumstances,) you might want to consider the Maestro instead of the Scenera. It would last her, and Nolan, a lot longer than the Scenera... if you can swallow the extra price. (Not sure how much 'not a lot' is to you.)

If you do opt to go with a harnessed seat (though I agree I'd be okay with her in a booster in the circumstances,) you might want to consider the Maestro instead of the Scenera. It would last her, and Nolan, a lot longer than the Scenera... if you can swallow the extra price. (Not sure how much 'not a lot' is to you.)

lol yea with the situation we have where each child has 2 seats already, the scenera was actually too much even marked down to 39 bucks at walmart.. so really I didn't want to spend more than like 20 bucks at all... its cool we are not going to need to do it anyways.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Okay, great. "Not very much" may mean $20 for one person, and 'less than a Radian' for another, lol!

Okay, great. "Not very much" may mean $20 for one person, and 'less than a Radian' for another, lol!
yea unless I actually was in need of a seat I really should not be spending money on more car seats, I keep trying to convice myself I do not need an on side air and a new round about 55 I really don't at all, but heck I have two 35 lbs rfing seats here, I feel wrong being the 1 mom in town who ERF's that has 35 lb limit seats when I garuntee I will see a 11 month old forward facing in a blvd 70 as soon as they come out. :thumbsdown: But heck I have skinny kids

mamom

The parkway will work great since it stays together. A coming apart turbo could really stress out people who are not used to them HTH

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC