Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Radian or Regent?

I will be in the market for a new seat for DS#1 pretty soon. He is on the top slots of his current seat (the Titan) and his shoulders are even with the top slots. I have all three in the same row. I am thinking I could get a Radian for him and still keep all three in the same row. Then in about a year or so, put DD in a booster (she is 6 yo), pass the Regent to DS#1 and give DS#2 the Radian. Or should I skip the Radian and get another Regent? Also, just to be clear- as soon as his shoulder is above the top slot he has outgrown it right? What are the install issues with Radian? We have an 04 Sienna.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: Radian or Regent?

I think people have had issues with the sienna?
    How does he fit in the regent? what slot would he use?
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes...
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away AND you have their shoes.

We have an 06 Sienna and I could not get the Radian to fit well at all (with the belt - I did not try LATCH)...

I think the 04 is a different model, right? Is there a store that will let you try it in your car before buying one?

DS|2002|FF in Britax Frontier 85 and Graco TurboBooster
    DD|2007|FF in two Britax Frontier 85's

Carseat Crazy

He would be in the 2nd slot from the bottom on the Regent. Why is the Radian hard to install?

Senior Community Member broken4u05's Avatar

I like the regent beter and if i didnt have to have 3 across i would have that. But i think it is what works best for you
    Kristina- Nanny to Jack and Drew now 3 years old Not a mother yet.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMom View Post
    We have an 06 Sienna and I could not get the Radian to fit well at all (with the belt - I did not try LATCH)...

I think the 04 is a different model, right? Is there a store that will let you try it in your car before buying one?
    There is a baby boutique in town where i can try it. Does it have the same rules about Latch as the Regent- that after X amount of lbs you MUST use the seatbelt?

Carseat Crazy

I don't think you'll be able to get 3 across with two Regents. (Edit...I just saw the pictures of 3 across w/2 Regent/Husky seats -- Siennas are great!) I couldn't get 3 across in my MDX with one Husky -- that Sienna must be wide! The Regent is a great seat, as you know, and if you have to use the 3rd row to make everyone fit, it's not bad. I have one captain's chair slid over to the middle position, so there's an area by the door to easily access the 3rd row...I just kneel right inside the sliding door and I can get him buckled; to unbuckle, I can reach in and undo the chest clip and the buckle with one hand.

If you can find a Radian to test, I would recommend it; I've had one for about 6 weeks now and it's been great -- easy to get the child in and out (except for getting him not to sit on the buckle!).
    Last edited by trailrunnermom; 03-13-2007 at 06:30 AM.

Senior Community Member broken4u05's Avatar

I think someone on here has done 3 across with 2 husky/regent. The middle seat was pushed forward. Maybe do a search. I radain is a good seat if you want3 arcoss for sure though
    Kristina- Nanny to Jack and Drew now 3 years old Not a mother yet.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

I believe the issue with the Radian in the Sienna is the short, stiff female seatbelt buckle stalks and the positioning of the Radian's belt path. I'm not sure if a LATCH installation would be compatible. If I remember correctly, the tech who tried installing the Radian in her Sienna unsuccessfully tried seatbelt and LATCH installs in the third row and didn't try the second row captain's chairs. The '04 and newer Siennas are basically the same design, too.

You can install using the lower LATCH anchors up to 48 lbs. in the Sienna. The Regent requires the top tether for kids weighing 50 lbs. and up although top tethering is highly recommended at any weight and with any installation.

Lynsgirl has an 8-passenger '05 Sienna and has posted pictures of a Regent, Husky (previous name for the Regent) and MA installed three across in the second row. It can be done.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 14, 65" 5 steps
    DD2 Age 11, 61" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CatSanders
    There is a baby boutique in town where i can try it. Does it have the same rules about Latch as the Regent- that after X amount of lbs you MUST use the seatbelt?
    That's actually a limit set by the automobile manufacturer as well. For Toyota, it's 48 lbs... So after then, you'd have to use the belt.

DS|2002|FF in Britax Frontier 85 and Graco TurboBooster
    DD|2007|FF in two Britax Frontier 85's