Is the Maestro relatively easy to buckle/unbuckle? also a RN ?

sirrahn

My 5 yr old DD is about to make me crazy. She really wants to ride in a booster like her older siblings. None of my other kids were like this...I guess because she's the youngest, and there's no one else riding like she is. She is tiny though, and I've told her not until she's at least 6. All the in and out of the car all day long this summer has made this a very pressing issue.

Anyway, I think the biggest problem really she has with being harnessed is that she can't buckle/unbuckle by herself and has to rely on someone else. She has tried and tried, but her Radian is just hard to do. I even struggle with it a bit sometimes. It takes quite a bit of oomph to click in the tongues, and I sometimes have to use both thumbs to get it to release. I've made sure the buckle is clean.

She can do her AOE, but she's pretty much out of it height-wise (yes, I know...the headrest is on the next to top slot;)) and it's an older non-eps model so I've never had her in it full-time. And yes, I've explained to her that buckling her own seatbelt would probably be a challenge as well, but she sees everyone else do it all the time so she's not convinced...

I'm considering a Maestro for what might be no more than another 9 months harnessed. I intend to get her a good dedicated booster when it's time. She's small enough though that I think we could get some back-up booster use from a Maestro as well.

The big question though is whether or not she'll be able to buckle and unbuckle herself in a Maestro. She sits in the front and center spot in my Sienna so I can easily reach back to tighten and check. She just needs a little independence.

One other thing too though...is my Radian typical? I wonder if it could just be our buckle or something. Would it be worth trying just a new buckle?

TIA!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Radians are pretty hard to buckle typically, yes.

I don't know on the Maestro, I only played with it twice. Hopefully someone who has one for daily use knows.

sirrahn

Radians are pretty hard to buckle typically, yes.

I don't know on the Maestro, I only played with it twice. Hopefully someone who has one for daily use knows.

Well, that's good (and bad) to know about the Radian.

I wish I could find a Maestro IRL. Last I checked the closest Sears, they didn't have any, and Burlington closed and moved somewhere that's in a direction I never go. I just don't relish going on an adventure to who knows where to track one down with all the kids in tow:p

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
My 5yo can easily buckle and unbuckle her Nautilus. I know, quite a bit more $$ but could you sell the Radian to help fund one? Plus, it makes a decent booster so you could just switch to booster mode when you are ready.
I have no experience with the Maestro.

christineka

My ds could buckle and unbuckle any seat at 5. My dd3, however, can only work the buckle of the regent and a seatbelt. I have been told that the longer crotch strap makes unbuckling the radian easier. I've tried dd3 with the longer crotch strap and she still can't unbuckle. She can buckle any seat now, just not unbuckle.

steph_s

My tiny 6yo can't unbuckle anything but the Regent, Nautilus and a regular seat belt. That said he can't buckle the actual seat belt himself because he isn't strong enough to pull it through and the Nautilus is really difficult and takes him a bit of time and muscle to get buckled himself so that basically leaves the Regent as the only thing he can buckle and unbuckle himself without throwing a fit and getting really frustrated.

Have you let her sit in a booster seat in the driveway just to show her how hard it is to buckle and un-buckle? Perhaps once she has to pull the seat belt through the path, go under the arm rest, reach and lean around the arm rest and try to click it she might change her mind.

O wait forgot about the truefit in grandma's car. He could easily buckle and unbuckle that one!

sirrahn

My 5yo can easily buckle and unbuckle her Nautilus....
I have considered a Nautilus. I just don't know that I'd really be happy with it as a booster and it is a lot more money. Probably still need to keep it on the radar though...

My ds could buckle and unbuckle any seat at 5. My dd3, however, can only work the buckle of the regent and a seatbelt. I have been told that the longer crotch strap makes unbuckling the radian easier. I've tried dd3 with the longer crotch strap and she still can't unbuckle. She can buckle any seat now, just not unbuckle.

Yeah, I think the Radian is just hard. I don't think mine has a short crotch strap. It's an 11/09 DOM IIRC.

Have you let her sit in a booster seat in the driveway just to show her how hard it is to buckle and un-buckle? Perhaps once she has to pull the seat belt through the path, go under the arm rest, reach and lean around the arm rest and try to click it she might change her mind.

O wait forgot about the truefit in grandma's car. He could easily buckle and unbuckle that one!

That's a good idea. It also just occurred to me that I could put the AOE in the van for a couple of days just to make sure that being able to do it herself really does make her happier.

That's good to know about the True fit. I don't think I want another convertible though. It was probably silly enough to buy her a Radian at almost 4.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. She may just have to deal, but I'll try at least...

christineka

Yeah, I think the Radian is just hard. I don't think mine has a short crotch strap. It's an 11/09 DOM IIRC.

The one that comes with it is the shorter one. You have to buy a replacement crotch strap to get a longer one. It is about an inch longer. It isn't much, but better for bigger kids.

Cryssy Jane

Hmm I'd work with her. Z is 5 and he buckles when i have him in the radian. He does have a more difficult time unbuckling, but if he starts when I start getting the other kids out he's usually done before I am. We practiced buckling and unbuckling for quite a while with the seat in the house.

2BunniesMommy

DD1 has a Generations65 for Grammy's car. I am not sure if she can unbuckle but she says it is very easy to buckle. I am not sure but maybe they have the same buckle. I will have her try to unbuckle next time she goes with Grammy and find out if she can do that too.

DahliaRW

The bonus with the nautilus is that it looks like a booster. So that might help her wanting a booster too.

I have a maestro we use in dh's car. I'll see if my 5yo can buckle it tomorrow...

zavyirsdaddy

My 5yo can buckle and unbuckle his GN. It took a while but he is finally able to do it on 3 of them. The 4th one he has an awful time with though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC