How's the fit and recline?

tl01

DS2 was closer to the slot before he got sleepy. The slot is actually a little below the cover. Also, does it look reclined enough for a 9 week old.

70afa21d.jpg

584adf86.jpg

23877cee.jpg

ADS

ericarizo

I am not the best with recline positions but the straps must come from below his shoulders not above. My DS does not even fit in it yet at 6 months.

monstah

OMG, look at him! :love: :love:

Even if the slot is a full inch under the cover, I think he needs more time to grow. And it looks quite upright to my naked eye. But I don't know how to do the fancy lines like some of the other people here. ;)

FWIW, I have noticed that in Britax convertibles, kids torsos lengthen with more RF recline and they actually lose height the more upright a seat is. Could you try more of a recline in the center? Unfortunately, I'd put the Britax away for another month or two. :(

smileybrea

CPS Technician
He is SO cute!! :love:

I don't like the fit even if the slot is below the cover, I don't think it's far enough down to be where it needs to be. Most babies don't fit in Britax until at least 6 months. It also looks pretty upright so try a noodle or towel and see if that changes where the straps meet him though I don't think it'll make enough of a difference.

tl01

I think you are all right:(. Bummer bc he screams in his KF but is silent in this seat. Funny thing is he is all torso and wears at least 3-6 month clothes. He's busting out of those now.

NVMBR02

nak

My 10 1/2 month old still doesn't fit in the britax convertibles.

Have you tried installing the keyfit more upright?

monstah

I think you are all right:(. Bummer bc he screams in his KF but is silent in this seat. Funny thing is he is all torso and wears at least 3-6 month clothes. He's busting out of those now.

Awww :( My DD cried in her KF too but ended up happy as a clam when I removed the padding from around her head and kept the sunvisor down. I hope he changes his mind about the Key Fit, it is such an awesome seat. I like it SO much more than my RA50 and I think I am going to cry next month when I give it to my DH's cousin for her new baby. :crying: :p

Mags462

nak

My 10 1/2 month old still doesn't fit in the britax convertibles.

My 7.5mo old doesn't even come CLOSE to fitting as well. Heck, my 2.5 yr old is just the first slot. It's crazy how high those slots are....

And OP your LO is adorable - i feel your pain on the infant seat HATRED. My DS3 hated his bucket.... as soon as i got him in a convertible around 5.5mo he was a completely different baby while in the car.

Try to recline the seat and see if that helps his torso height but i really doubt it :eek:

tl01

Thanks all! Ridiculously enough I hadn't thought about changing the recline of the KF. All the padding is out already. I love that seat though! I wish he loved it. I'm going to redo the recline tonight. It's weird bc anywhere he goes in the seat... Via stroller or car he screams. In the other stroller sans car seat he is happy as a clam.

cryswilkins

I bet the KF makes him hot. DS is not a fan of the KF anymore and I have moved him to the RA50. He is still a little below the bottom slots, but only a smidge.

For your DS honestly I would try the seat more reclined and see if you can stop the head slump with rolled receiving blankets. If you can get the harness tight, and keep his head from tucking to his chin then I would feel OK using it for my kid.

tl01

I bet the KF makes him hot. DS is not a fan of the KF anymore and I have moved him to the RA50. He is still a little below the bottom slots, but only a smidge.

For your DS honestly I would try the seat more reclined and see if you can stop the head slump with rolled receiving blankets. If you can get the harness tight, and keep his head from tucking to his chin then I would feel OK using it for my kid.

He could be warm but this is the most ridiculously cool summer ever here. The heat just kicked on in my house bc it is set for 70. Yesterday it was drizzly and about 68 degrees. I'll try your suggestions for the RA. I can't remember if britax allows anything under the seat to help with recline. Thanks!

fyrfightermomma

My son (4 months) HATED the KF with a vengence too. No matter what I did. We even put a cloth diaper behind him to stop the sweating and he still screamed. He got switched to a SS1 and never a peep since. It sucks cause it was SUCH a nice seat

My 4 month old fit in the RA50 (well past the first slots) last month at 3 months when I got it but he's a strange baby. My other kids were well over a year before they fit.

But I agree, he doesn't fit yet :( I hope you figure out something! We had to give up the KF a little sooner than I liked but he was close to outgrowing it anyways

smileybrea

CPS Technician
C started to develop a problem with his KF as well but it really helped when I started taking him out of it as if it were a convertible...so putting him in the stroller rather than snapping the seat in the stroller.

Maedze

Have you tried dressing him more lightly? The Keyfit is more enclosed than the RA50, leaving less room for airflow and cooling. He may be happier in just a onesie or similar, rather than a long sleeved body suit with footies.

Pixels

He could be warm but this is the most ridiculously cool summer ever here. The heat just kicked on in my house bc it is set for 70. Yesterday it was drizzly and about 68 degrees. I'll try your suggestions for the RA. I can't remember if britax allows anything under the seat to help with recline. Thanks!

Yes.

It looks to me like it's currently installed at close to 30 degrees.

Mae

I can't remember if britax allows anything under the seat to help with recline. Thanks!

From page 17 of the manual:

• If necessary, the proper recline angle can be achieved by placing a rolled towel or pool noodle in the vehicle seat bight to level the child seat’s base.

So yes, you can use a noodle or towel to fix your recline. :)

ETA: Pixels beat me to it...And I agree with her-- it looks close to 30°

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Using the tether can also help a bit with the recline. (It doesn't look like it is attached in the photo.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC