Volkswagen CC car seat suggestions

floridabb

I'm looking for a new convertible seat for my 6 month old daughter. I'd like to keep her RF as long as possible. I drive a Volkswagen CC and it has an awkward back seat, which you can see here:

http://www.cardata.com/images/2009/VW/VW_CC_backseat.bmp

(This is a stock photo. There is no middle seat. The seat furthest away gives a better picture of the shape of the seat.)

I thought my biggest problem would be with how the seats are the sports bucket style but I'm finding the contoured back of the seat to be the biggest issue.

I purchased the Complete Air but there is no way I could get a tight fit because it bumps into the "lips" of the back seat and is too wide. Not to mention it gobbled up the front seat.
We previously checked out the Combi Coccoro, which would work in my car but it seemed SO small and my daughter only had 6" above her head. I couldn't see her making it until 2 in that seat. She's always been in 90-95th percentile for height so far.

I'm thinking of trying the My Ride 65 and Radian XTSL. Any other suggestions that would work with my goofy seats? I checked VW boards but couldn't find any RF suggestions.

ADS
with the contours of the seat, I'm wondering if a convertible that sits up on a base, like the MyRide or maybe even one of the Britax convertibles, would fit better than one that sits low to the vehicle seat like the Radian:confused:

floridabb

I'm puzzled.. We ordered a MR65 and Radian to try next.
I found a VW forum where a CC owner couldn't get a Britax Marathon to RF due to the seats.
After googling until I couldn't see straight anymore, I only found a review of someone successfully installing a Maxi Cosi Priori but the reviews for it here weren't the greatest.
Thankfully my daughter is 27" so has more time in her infant seat. Glad I started the search early!

monstah

I bet a Recaro Pro Ride will fit. Normally, I don't recommend Recaros for rear facing because they really don't have much leg room for extended rear facing. But, if the Pro Sport installs anything like the Como/Signo (and I bet it does) than the base of the seat will sit a few inches back from the seat bight.
Unfortunately, I don't have a clue when they will be releasing the Pro Ride.

I'm not sure if you will have any luck with the Radian, but the My Ride could definitely be a good fit. They carry them at Babies R Us and they will let you carry the display model out to your car and try it out.

floridabb

I bet a Recaro Pro Ride will fit. Normally, I don't recommend Recaros for rear facing because they really don't have much leg room for extended rear facing. But, if the Pro Sport installs anything like the Como/Signo (and I bet it does) than the base of the seat will sit a few inches back from the seat bight.
Unfortunately, I don't have a clue when they will be releasing the Pro Ride.

I'm not sure if you will have any luck with the Radian, but the My Ride could definitely be a good fit. They carry them at Babies R Us and they will let you carry the display model out to your car and try it out.
I'm not very familiar with the Recaro. I will read more about it.

Do you think a Como or Signo would work in a contoured seat?

monstah

Avoid the Como completely. It really does get *very* narrow in the shoulders as the kids grow, I had one and couldn't get my sons back to lay flat against the car seat because his shoulders were too wide for it at 3.5 years old.

Recaro updated the Signo a year or two ago so look for the newer style, the Signo G2 or wait for the Pro Ride to be released. I do think it will work but I would try the Graco My Ride first. Super comfy and boat loads more leg room. :thumbsup: (Much less expensive to boot.) ;)

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=119068

Last edited:

floridabb

Diapers.com has a Recaro Pro Ride for sale. Is there a newer one coming out? Or is that what you are referring to?
Thanks so much for the help. It's appreciated when it comes to making such a very important purchase.

monstah

Diapers.com has a Recaro Pro Ride for sale. Is there a newer one coming out? Or is that what you are referring to?
Thanks so much for the help. It's appreciated when it comes to making such a very important purchase.

You are correct, it has been released. :thumbsup: Some USA Baby stores even carry it in stock. If you have one near you, I'd give them a ring.

Have you ordered a Radian already? The more I think of it, I'd be really curious to see how it installs in your car. I really think it's either going to be *perfect* or *awful*. If the foot sits in front of the bump in your seat and ends up installing nice and upright, leaving room for the front passenger, that would be a huge win.
But, if the foot ends up sliding into the bight, making a full 45 degree angle, it may gobble up all of the front passengers room.
Target & Walmart also carry the MyRide.
If you order the Pro Ride, make sure you do from a place that offers free return shipping. ;)

floridabb

I ordered the Radian from Diapers.com in case I need to return it. It will be here tomorrow. I'll take pix. If that doesn't work we will check out the MyRide. I hope the Radian works because it seems like it would last us awhile. I hear some don't care for the MR once it is FF. If that doesn't work, I'll try the Recaro. My only concern with that is I already have a long-legged baby!

I see in your siggy you have a Coccoro. How do you like it? How old is your child that rides in it? I thought that might have been a winner for us but I couldn't see it lasting for far too long. Then again, this is my first child so I don't know exactly how fast they grow!

floridabb

Just in case anyone comes across this thread looking for a RF convertible for a VW CC.

The following seats do not work RF:
Safety 1st Complete Air
Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL
(both would work fine FF)

These seats will work:
Combi Coccoro
Graco My Ride 65

Also, I haven't personally tried it but i read the Maxi Cosi Priori fits well.

monstah

Awesome! Thanks for coming back to update. If you find the time, we (me anyway ;)) would love if you could snap a couple pictures of the install. You could start a new thread in the installation forum. :D

Sorry I didn't see your coccoro question earlier. I really love my CCO. It's my favorite seat. But I know I will have to buy another rear facing seat eventually. My middle daughter fit RF in it until just about her 2nd birthday. I expect my younger DD to fit until about 2 also. They are both around the 50-60th percentile all around.

(Please forgive typos I'm posting from my phone.)

MelodyoftheForest

What year is your daughter's CC? While the infant seat the OP used may still be made, they are unlikely to reply since this thread is 9 years old. Most infant seats are fairly narrow where they contact the seat, so there may be many options. Hopefully someone here has an idea of what will work, but if not, we recommend trying before you buy or buying from somewhere with free and easy returns in case it doesn't work out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC