I know this isn't safe....but what else could be done?

babygirlsmom1005

I was watching our groomers son today. He's 14 months - I have already talked to her about ERF'ing before - she saw me get Madeline out of her RNXT and asked about it and why she was RF'ing when obviously she can be in just a seat belt (yeah, another conversation), well ERF'ing it's not happening - we are trading out services - I watch her son, she grooms our dogs every month....When she came to pick him up, I walked out there with her to check the mail....

She drives a late 90's Pontiac Sunfire and his carseat was in the front seat. She saw me looking and she said there wasn't any seatbelts in the back - someone took them out (and she was right, there is none back there) and she didn't have the money to get them put back in, so she couldn't put his seat back there. She has him FF'ing in a Cosco Scerena (I know he's not 34 inches due to he's only about a inch taller than Marshall - but he is over 22 lbs - he's got some weight on him) in the front seat in front of a air bag. There is no switch to turn the airbag off (that I saw), so I know he couldn't RF there in that position with the airbag on (plus previous convo was a no go). I noticed the seatbelt install was extremly loose (like the lap portion was hanging down near the door) and asked her if I could help her get the seat in tighter, she agreeded. I moved the front seat all the way back, tightened everything up, locked the belt (retractor locks) and told her about less than one inch and showed her how to lock the belt. There is no top tether points and I don't even know if I sent her to a dealer if she would go and get it done for free or not.

I told her we had the same seat, just in pink and she was telling me that the seat she use to have was off of CL and was expired. She said that when she went up to the police station to get it installed, they noticed it was expired and replaced it for her and put it in her car for her. So at the very least, he's not riding in a expired seat....

I guess all I can do is say a prayer and hope they are never ever ever in a accident :( My stomach dropped watching them drive away and I know now I am going to do nothing but worry about this sweet little boy :(

IDK anything else that cannot be done if she cannot afford the seat belts in the back, she cannot afford another vehicle (this was a hand me down if I remember correctly from a previous conversation after her Toyota died a few months ago). I know trying to tell her driving him around is not safe and not to do it won't do any good....ugh....

Just say a little prayer with me or send no accident thoughts :(

ADS

Cryssy Jane

hugs. This is one of those situations where sadly all you can do is provide them with the information and try to help. The final decision is up to them. :(

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You actually did the best thing in that situation; forward-facing over a year old and 22 lbs., in a seat with an airbag but pushed ALL the way back, with a correct install, is the ONLY safe way for him to ride in that particular car. Should he really be riding in that car? No. But if there's no other option, you did the best thing to help. You also gave her the information that he should be in the back, should be RF, etc., etc. It's up to HER as the parent to do what she feels is within her means and safest for her child now.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
You really did all you could! At least you didn't look at it as a complete wash and not help at all. You can inform and educate, but in the end it is the parent(s)'s decision.

Now I wonder how much it would cost to have a seat belt put in the back.

babygirlsmom1005

Thanks ladies, I need the reasurance I didn't miss something :(

You really did all you could! At least you didn't look at it as a complete wash and not help at all. You can inform and educate, but in the end it is the parent(s)'s decision.

Now I wonder how much it would cost to have a seat belt put in the back.

I have no idea....I had the thought of having my husband check into it and then taking it up to the school he is a instructor (he teaches at a tech college and is currently teaching a auto trans course and a engine performance course...) at and having the auto tech students do it for her under his or one of the other instructors supervision since they don't charge for labor....I may just do that see how much the belt assy. set costs and see if she'd be willing to do that or not....

smileybrea

CPS Technician
You did everything you could do and he left your house SAFER than he came. In that car, that is the only place for him to sit.

As for the seatbelts, I just had to replace one in my 07 Charger. The seatbelt was around $80 and labor was $200.

metatliveevent

Once, in an emergency situation, we had to have my DSS8 ride in the front seat. We have a Chevy Cavalier (so the same car, just a different name). We unplugged the fuse for the air bag, pushed the seat all the way back, and drove very slowly on less traveled roads.

I know having no airbag for the driver would be not ideal, but would it make the child safer? We chose to have the child be the safest and unplugged the airbags.

Just an idea.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Great job of continuing to provide education. It sounds as if she is at least somewhat receptive to your input.

It sounds as if you followed the informal check event motto: "Child left (much) safer than when he came." We can't always make it perfect, but a correctly installed seat, as far away from airbag as possible is better than a loosely installed seat that is close to the airbag.

I also appreciate you going the extra mile and considering other options (getting seat belts replaced).

Does your husband has "connections" to get the part at a below retail? She'd really only need 1 seat belt in the back but I'd want to be positive the seat could be installed in the assigned seating position.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC