harness for a 21 year old

powerlad

I though of a way to keep him from removing it. I bought some twist ties that i can put though the top part of the clip (your idea of sewn on clips gave it to me) this would make removing it easier and i would not need to remove the mount each time i put him in it. I tried to undo it but i could not do it with not wearing the vest. I can upload a pic or 2 tomorrow as i have a friend with a camera phone coming over then i will upload them and let me know what you think of this option. I will let you know how it works late tomorrow.

ADS

Louisa

CPST Instructor
i'm sorry i think i didn't explain it very clearly :eek:

my suggestion of sewn on tether straps meant sewn on and approved by EZ-on NOT by any home remedy as that may not be crash worthy i know they have done some custom modifications that they deem appropriate in the past and would be relying on their ok for this idea

i would not trust my own sewing /sewing materials
and am sure that twist ties or zip ties are NOT crash worthy

I would REALLLLY encourage you to work with a tech on this, it is definitely a tough situation, i am sure we can help you find one near you :)

powerlad

Me and him were talking about this last night and he said he will not take it off if i give him a dsi, i told him if he does not take it off for a week i will get him one. Think this is a good idea? Also i have e-mailed a friend of mine that knows someone who works with special needs adults and says that could work. He has only been using the harness for 4 weeks. and the extra restraints for 4 trips and only when he tries to take it off

Louisa

CPST Instructor
if he has the ability to reason and make a deal that is the best idea :)
as long as he sits properly in his seatbelt or vest for the entire ride it is a safe solution.
a distraction in the car like a ds is a fine idea.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Got an email back!

At 195 lbs, the boy is too heavy for an E-Z-ON adjustable vest, even though his waist and chest measurements seem to be within the limits of the large size that mom says he is using. Maximum weight of the vest is 168 lbs. E-Z-ON will customize a vest for larger/heavier people but that requires a special request and a signed waiver of liability. I doubt that has been done here. Most distributors don't make an issue of the weight limits; they just want to sell the product with minimum effort.

What is his age and medical condition? Is he transported to a school? (At 6'5" I suspect he is not in a school situation, but the question remains.) Are these escape problems evidenced when he is riding in a passenger car...a van...or a school bus? Is he secured with a seat belt and top tether....or with a floor mount system....or perhaps even with a "portable school bus seat mount"? I wonder if he has this escape problem in every vehicle situation or just in one specific type.

Does the vehicle(s) in which the boy is transported have LATCH anchor points at the seat bite? I ask this because E-Z-ON will have available within a couple of weeks a new LATCH connector kit for use in vehicles with LATCH anchor points on the vehicle seats (two straps with anchor clips on each end); these take the place of the vehicle seat belt.

If this boy can turn around and "unhook himself from the mount", that suggests the "seat mount" straps are not pulled as snug as they can and should be. With a tight adjustment, there would be no slack to allow him to unhook the attachment.

Most of her comments are spent on the upper arm restraints and her confusion over correct use and the lack of instructions. Surprisingly to all of us, E-Z-ON does NOT have an instruction sheet for the upper arm restraints. They've just never gotten around to it. I've been complaining to them about this oversight for years. As for correct use, the mom is right when she figures the connecting strap goes under the front shoulder straps. It is too short to pass around the back of the passenger. (I am hoping E-Z-ON will product at least a one page sheet for the upper arm restraints this year.)

In the photos I notice that the wrist restraints are of the "new" style which do not have the lambs wool padding which used to be standard a few years back. I will not sell the new style; they are much too rough and uncomfortable. I supply only the old style with the padding; it's more comfortable, offers a more snug fit, and encourages greater acceptance of the securement. They make it especially for my company at a little more cost; I sell a set of padded wrist cuffs for $40.00.

The mom thinks there should be something on the US market like the positioning system offered in England. There is not at this time, and I think the regulatory and liability framework here works against that happening. She always could try to order it direct, but I don't think the company would ship to the US and, if she got one and used it, she might get a ticket for it.

Give me a call if you'd like to talk about these issues in more depth....and fell free to pass along my number to the mom in case she wants to talk more.

A LOT of questions. David S. is awesome! I have his phone number if needed.

powerlad

I would also like to give an update, Seems like he is not trying to take of the vest. I do not know if i mentioned this he does have very very mild ot but it has gotten much better than when he was little.

Jmark

I would also like to give an update, Seems like he is not trying to take of the vest. I do not know if i mentioned this he does have very very mild ot but it has gotten much better than when he was little.

i've got a large ezon 103z that was used only as a demo; its pristine.

its got sewn on arm and wrist restraints as well as crotch straps, PM me if interested, i'll send it for free if you want.

powerlad

I have sent you a pm with the needed info this should be very very useful but i hope he never needs to use the extra restraints again. Also let me know when you shipped it. And a big thanks for doing this for me

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC