harness for a 21 year old

ADS

powerlad

I had to spend 15 min getting the velcro under one of the side of the buckle. I do not think that would work, but thanks for the idea. If it was not so hard to get it under then i would consider it.

Qarin

Why is he getting out, what is his goal? Does he not like being so restrained? Is it possible that he would do better in just the seatbelt?

I understand that there are many things in this world that I don't understand, but I'm finding myself a little confused about keeping an adult, even one with severe ADHD, essentially shackled against his will.

I am sorry if my questions are offensive; they come from an honest interest in helping.

powerlad

he needs the extra support when in a car/bus that is why he needs to wear it. He does not like wearing the harness because he says "it does not look cool" That is one of the reasons that i got from him witch could be the reason he wants to take it off. I would love to get him something else (like shown below) that he can not get out of but w/o looking to overseas that only take a different currency. and yes that is from over seas

Jennifer mom to my 7

I think Qarin's point is "if" you might be able to reason with him a bit. Since he doesn't think the harness "looks cool" maybe you can say, well, if you sit still the whole ride in the seatbelt, then you don't need the harness. If you move out of place (I would might say "too much" because as an adult, I do move out of position from time to time) then you need the harness again. And then maybe take extra time with each trip, start with seatbelt, if he doesn't sit, then harness. Maybe, he will start to sit longer and longer without the harness. Just a thought.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Why is he getting out, what is his goal? Does he not like being so restrained? Is it possible that he would do better in just the seatbelt?

I understand that there are many things in this world that I don't understand, but I'm finding myself a little confused about keeping an adult, even one with severe ADHD, essentially shackled against his will.

I am sorry if my questions are offensive; they come from an honest interest in helping.

Qarin, I am confused. Are you saying that if your child is 18 and living with you, they do not have to wear a seat belt?

Jennifer mom to my 7

Qarin, I am confused. Are you saying that if your child is 18 and living with you, they do not have to wear a seat belt?

I don't think that is what she said:) She asked whether he might just do better in JUST a seatbelt, since he keeps fighting and getting out of the restraints.

SavsMom

If you want I can go into the EZ-On office and tell them to respond already - lol! Their office is literally down the street from me :whistle:

powerlad

yea that would be great, thanks . I never got any instructions to see if i am even using the upper arm restraints correctly. There is a pic in an earlier post that is shows how i have him using them now.

powerlad

I found a pair of wetsuit mittens , they have a velcro wrap that goes around them, at an estate sale i will see if he can still unclip himself with just the vest and no wrist restraints. Let's hope for the best :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, I heard back, and even she is at a loss. She says you really need to meet with a tech that has special needs training and also, we need to find you help at EZ On. So, where do you live?

Was someone going to go check with EZ On? I swear someone said they would.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, just got another email. Looks like I will be contacting the owner of EZ On. Any other pics you can take would be great.

Jennifer mom to my 7

If you want I can go into the EZ-On office and tell them to respond already - lol! Their office is literally down the street from me :whistle:

Ok, I heard back, and even she is at a loss. She says you really need to meet with a tech that has special needs training and also, we need to find you help at EZ On. So, where do you live?

Was someone going to go check with EZ On? I swear someone said they would.

There you go Judi :)

powerlad

would Upper Arm Restraint Sewn Onto Vest keep him from taking off the vest? I know that they would keep his arms a little further apart meaby that would work i am using the portable ones now. He seems to be finally getting it that he can not take off the vest when in a car even though he had no mitten or wrist restraints on, something must have clicked. I will keep you updated, but i would still like to know what e-z on says.

Louisa

CPST Instructor
does he have an OT or behaviorist, clinician even? I, as a SN tech an a bit uncomfortable with this level of restraint being used with out a consult with a professional familiar with your son. Perhaps we can find a SN tech near you to work with you and some of his workers :)

Louisa

CPST Instructor
ok what about the back zip easy on without any added restraints tether straps sewn on to the d rings that go to ez-on mounts on the floor behind the seat with the clips there. it would be less restraining (read less irritating) but impossible for passenger to remove by himself.
I would then make sure to have a seatbelt cutter in the car incase of accident as this would not be quick or easy to remove in case of emergency.

powerlad

seems like a good idea. i use the 103z model so if i sewn the d-rings to the mount's clips that i use would that work or are you looking at a different model?

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC