harness for a 21 year old

powerlad

I know this site is mainly for children but i can not seem to find a harness that my sever ADHD son can not get out of i have tried the e-z-on vest but he just un-clips himself then goes about moving around the car. any ideas on what to try next?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
EZ-On is generally good at working with families with special needs -- contact them and see if they can make you a vest that fastens in the back.

powerlad

what he does is this he un-clips himself from the mount then reaches behind his back and unzips the harness. He does use the upper arm and wrist restraints but he just manages to push his hands close together and then undoes the buckle i am not sure how but he does it. I could add twist ties to the buckle and the strap to keep it tightened but then i would need to replace the ties each time they are on and i do not want to modify it in any way. I am looking for a harness the buckles from behind so he can have hand movement instead of none. he uses the E-Z-ON Adjustable 103Z Vest Large model.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
EZ-On is generally good at working with families with special needs -- contact them and see if they can make you a vest that fastens in the back.

:yeahthat:

Sounds like you are familiar with the company. Tell them the products you are using and the problem you are still having. http://www.ezonpro.com/contactUs.shtml

Sounds like a young man with some serious determination, flexibility, and fine motor skills. . . and to channel those skills into something productive :confused:

powerlad

for the most part if there is any thing he can loosen, unbuckle or open that he can reach he can and will do so such as the zipper on his vest. the biggest thing is if he can no reach the buckle or the strap to loosen it and he knows it he will not be able to get out. i know there are companies overseas that make harnesses that he can not get out of. This http://www.crelling.com/MODEL-13VEHICLE.html would be something i know he could not get out of due to it buckling behind the seat and out of his reach. I have contacted e-z-on to see if i can get reply this time.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
If you can't get an answer, post back. I will talk to my special needs instructor and see what we can come up with.

powerlad

It has been 2 days now and no reply. I saw how he gets the wrist restraints off though. He wiggles he wrist back and forth and gets the strap further back then he has more hand movement then unbuckles them. Also i am on a tight budget.

powerlad

I do not have a camera that i can take pics and get them up. when i got the upper arm restraints (had the wrist before them but i thought some extra restraint would work) i never got instructions for the upper arm restraints. I sent 3 e-mails to ez-on and the place i ordered it from but no reply from them about sending me some. I use the portable ones, does the strap the connects them together go under the top straps in the front of the vest or do they go behind(strap is to short to make them go behind). I do have a few that i took before the camera broke that shows how i have the wrist and upper arm straps used that i used to show the company that i bought them from if that is how it was meant to work or not. If these 2 would help let me know but that is all i have and i can get them up by monday night. He is 6food 5 inches has a 26 inch chest and a 35 inch waist and weights 195 lbs.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yes, anything will help. Also, I am ok with you sending pics from your cell phone to mine, if that works for you.

powerlad

the pics are off the sd card that i used with the camera before it broke I took the pics inside as i did not want to bring him out to the car just to take 2 pics of him in the harness. as a note in the car the straps that connect to the d rings are about 2 inches sticking out from between the seat and the backrest. Removed pics to free space for another post

Last edited:

TXAggieTech

How distractable is he? Someone suggested a set of random buckles/ties/snaps/buttons for our son when we where having hand problems. That did not work in our case but I could see where it would work where hands needed to be kept busy.

What did work for a while was putting on boxing gloves. Until he perceived it as a punishment and tore through the pads.

Good luck.

powerlad

Him unzipping it is not the problem the problem is that he can get out of the wrist and upper arm restraints i will try putting a velcro cover over the buckle on the wrist restraints and see if he can take them off with them on tomorrow. what he does is wiggles his hand and gets the wrist restraint up more on his arm giving him more hand movement and then unbuckles the strap then unclips the mount. Also where can i buy a velcro cover for the zipper? I is hard to get him to focus on anything for more than 10 minutes. I am looking for a different harness that does not restrain him so much that i can get in america.

Last edited:

powerlad

Ok i tried putting a veclro wrap around the wrist restraint and i got it though I did take him a little longer than normal but he just loosened the strap then took off the other etc and un-clipped himself. Any ideas for a different harness?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC