Car seat head positioner for Torticollis

Brycen'sMommy

My 4 month old DD was recently diagnosed with torticollis. She had her first physical therapy session today and her therapist highly recommended the Snuggin Go positioner for her car seat. I'm pretty sure I have seen them discussed here before and they are a big no-no because they go behind the child and interfere with the straps. I will probably buy one anyway to use in the swing, stroller, etc. but I need something for her car seat. Is there anything out there that is safe to use in her seat that will be very supportive and keep her head straight? Rolled receiving blankets and the head support that came with the seat don't cut it. I need something very supportive. Just for reference this is what she looks like in her car seat all of the time.

SDC11734.jpg

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would use something firm but lightweight. I'd say maybe like a piece of pool noodle but I think she might chew on it (mine always did.)

You could get the Snuggin Go or a similar one, and just cut off the part that goes behind the head, so only the part NEXT to the head is in there. That should be okay.

Of course, you should also be minimizing her time in the swing, stroller, car seat, etc. I don't know if the PT told you this but my mom works with a lot of kids with torticollis (usually because it's to the point where it's caused positional plagiocephaly-- she runs the Craniofacial clinics and is an RN and OT, among other things) and her number one recommendation is "do the exercises faithfully" and number two is "minimize time in baby 'devices' as much as possible." When she's not having tummy time and is not asleep (and even sometimes when asleep) she can be being held or in a sling, etc. which are much better exercise for those neck muscles and as the exercises loosen the tight muscles, she's going to need that time to build up the underused muscles. :)

kaleigh71

and for the non sew-ers ( like me :) ) you could use a mens tube sock, you'd need a pair but then you would have one to use while you washed the other :)

I was going to suggest the pool noodle and this. With the PT you should start seeing some improvement pretty quickly. Good luck!

rachelandtyke

My DD was like that. The PT had us use the blankets rolled on each side and then the part that was up by her head/neck, we angled in. Really it was the PT that helped the most though. And absolutely what the others said. She was only in the carseat when we were in the car. Besides that she was held a lot in a sling or on her tummy. Never in the swing and only sometimes in the bouncy seat.

Here's what we did at first:

DSCF0024-1.jpg

Then we moved on to this:

DSCF0027-1.jpg

This is how she was with nothing:

Alliestort.jpg

Last edited:

Brycen'sMommy

My DD was like that. The PT had us use the lankets rolled on each side and then the part that was up by her head/neck, we angled in. Really it was the PT that helped the most though. And absolutely what the others said. She was only in the carseat when we were in the car. Besides that she was held a lot in a sling or on her tummy. Never in the swing and only sometimes in the bouncy seat.

Thank you for this suggestion and the pictures. It was very helpful. I just tried the blankets angled in and it worked much better. Her head stayed straight even when she fell asleep and she wasn't able to wiggle out like she could with just the straight rolled blankets. I will continue with this and see how it works. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC