Exactly how bad is this?

OddOneOut

First I guess I should introduce myself. I have been reading on here for a while, but never really posted much. You guys have really good information. I feel like I have learned so much. I have a 5 year old DD harnessed in a Nautilus as well as a couple Turboboosters in other cars and an almost 3 year old in a Nautilus as well (yes, I would love to have him RF, but he outgrew his EF Titan RF when he was 2 years old and at the time I thought that was pretty good, so we bought a Nautilus).

It is sad, though how little people know about car seats and if you don't research or stumble on this website (like me) you won't get much good information. It's hard to blame people for making bad decisions.

That brings me to my question...I noticed on a recent trip that my sil has her 3.5 year old in Costco booster (I'm not sure what kind, but it is a high back). Before this, he was in an Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 harnessed that he was quickly outgrowing. He's probably between 35-40lbs. I was really worried she was going to use it as a booster and I know those make terrible boosters. So I guess this is a step in the right direction. So, a couple questions, how are the Costco boosters? I didn't really see him in it, so I'm not sure how he fits, but do they generally fit little ones pretty well? Also, how dangerous is it for him to be in a booster at this age? I know it's not good, but is it life or death? I really don't want to say anything to sil because she probably will be mad at me and/or think I am crazy, but if it truly is a big deal, I'll do it.

Just looking for some opinions/ suggestions

ADS

Evolily

It all depends on what costco booster she has. Some are moderately ok, and some are extremely bad when it comes to booster fit. Usually the dedicated boosters fit bigger kids better than little kids.

I would direct her towards the Evenflo Maestro ($75). If she must get a booster, then the Graco Turbobooster usually fits little kids best ($40) although no one here would recommend it.

As for life or death, we don't know. It does seem that younger kids in boosters are less protected than older children. At least partly because of maturity (the ability to sit properly). But my biggest concern, with whatever she gets, would be that she uses it properly and restrains him for every single trip.

Maedze

Yes, it really is dangerous for a 3 year old to be in a booster. 3 year olds do not have the developmental or neurological capability to sit correctly in a booster 100% of the time (or even, really, anything close to it).

Ideally a three year old is rear facing. An absolute minimum is a forward facing harnessed seat with top tether.

Cosco (no T, that's the discount box store ;) ) is owned by the same company that makes the 3-in-1s you were discussing. Dorel is the parent company and the brand names include Eddie Bauer, Cocsco, Safety First, Maxi Cosi and others.

If it's a 'dedicated' booster (just a booster, not a combination seat), there's a possibility it makes a decent booster. If it's a Ventura, or a combination seat, it makes just as bad of a booster as her old 3-in-1.

The child really does need a harnessed seat.

OddOneOut

Thanks for the replies :). The booster is a dedicated one. Not one with the harness, it's a booster only.

Any suggestions for telling her that he needs a harness? I think she would probably have the money for the Maestro. She could still use the Cosco (I couldn't remember if it had the "T" or not, I got it now) booster later, right? Once he outgrew the Maestro?

steph_s

It isn't safe no matter how well the booster might "fit" him.

1. Maturity- Children this young simply aren't capable of sitting correctly in a booster seat all the time.

2. Bone growth- At 3 the bones in the hips aren't hardened yet making the hips less stable and less able to support the crash forces.

So yeah it really is life or death for a child this young. I second the idea of a Maestro!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC