Votes: 9 12.7%
  • More than 2x a year

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • My kid makes a mess - pretty much constantly

Votes: 6 8.5%

• Total voters
ADS

Maedze

I usually take them out once a month or so. That's my advice at seatchecks as well; it gives you a chance to check the installation and make sure everything is copacetic.

skitle1802

Depends on what DH has let them eat. I let them eat as well but I'm more picky about what might cause a mess.

So on average, crumb clean out = once a month,
strap wipe down = right after oozed refried beans
Cover washing = every other month (which is usually right after a spill/blowout)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Whenever my husband cleans the car. I think it works out to every other month or so.

Also whenever I take just one out to switch it for some reason or need to use it in a different car, I clean it at that point (though that's not always a full wash the cover, just a wipe-down and shake-out.)

Maedze

Are you all actually washing everything down or just vacumming and a quick wipe?

The car seat? LOL, I do not vacuum the car seats :D

I take them inside, wash everything that's washable and wipe down everything that isn't.

The car I wipe down on the inside, and sweep out the floor. I take it in for a proper vacuum every once in a blue moon.

NannyMom

I clean the carseats whenever they're peed/puked/ spilled on. OR when I switch seats. If I take a seat out to sit in the house and use another, I'll clean it and wash the cover before it sits in the closet attracting bugs.

Auntie2Avi

If they get dirty from something beyond my control.

I don't allow eating in my carseats so they stay pretty clean. Right now I don't have anyone in it on a daily basis so that helps, but even when I did I didn't allow eating. I had to clean my MA a few times because the girl I was watching got sick in her carseat.

I lent my TF to my cousin to use a few months ago and it came back dirty. I was really pissed about having to hand wash the cover (luckily the stain came out) and clean up all the crumbs under the cover. It reinforced my feeling about eating in the carseat.

I used to let Avi eat in the carseat (when I was picking him up from daycare every day he was hungry and wanted a snack) but after he decided to pick apart his granola bar and make a big mess I said no more food in the car.

krasota

Washing the cover only happens if there's a big mess. This has happened twice since December 2007.

Once was for a major diaper blow out. I could've killed DH for that one. DS had a major watermelon-influenced blowout while DH had him OUT OF THE SEAT. We use cloth, though, and DH hated carrying a diaper bag, so he had no diapers. He was at a strip mall with two supermarkets and a variety of other shops. Instead of going into CVS and buying sposies or even going into Old Navy and buying a cheap pair of pants/shorts/whatever, he put the diarrhea soaked child into the Blvd and drove him home.

The second time was last week or so. DS spilled a smoothie in his seat and down the side. I'm allergic to an ingredient in the smoothie and put off cleaning until the weekend was over. Ugh. At least it was hot out--the cover dried very quickly after it was clean. Kiddo eats a lot of dried fruit, though, and I have no idea how it gets into the crevices of that seat.

I disassembled the bench in the back seat and had to clean it (both sides, plus the car itself, plus wiping down the seatbelt where the smoothie pooled). DS is RF, so the smoothie really made its way down into the bight and around everything.

I wipe down the outside of the seat and shake it out anytime I move it, which isn't that often, but probably once a month or every other month. I brush out crumbs (sunflower seeds and raisins and tortilla chips) as needed.

skipspin

I voted after a big mess and more than 2xs a year. Depends on the kid, the seat, and what kinds of messes happened. Always after vacations. DS1s gets washed the most often right now. When DH forgets to make him pee before then leave and he falls asleep sometimes he wets. He also likes to work with DH and tends to get dirty and that rubs off on the seat so I wash it. I am not quite as meticulous with the seats in DH's truck, but they aren't in there as often, especially DD and DS2.

I will say that DH has this absolutely wonderful DeWalt rechareable hand vac. That thing is the bomb. I use that in the seats and on the floor 1-2 times a week as needed. Baby gets crumbs in his seat and we have sand here that gets everywhere. It's so easy and DD and DS1 usually get most of the mess for me then I just get what they miss.

cpsaddict

I wash the MA cover and wipe down the seat probably once a month. It's the most used. The Diplomat gets washed every other month or so.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
I've had his Frontier for a year and a half now. The cover has been washed once. It just doesn't get dirty. I vacuum the seat every time the car is vacuumed (every month or so). I also take it out and shake it a few times a year.

His Nautilus has never been washed. We have had that seat the same amount of time. He hardly rides in it so it has never gotten dirty enough for a full washing. I do spot clean when needed.

Oh, and same goes for both of his boosters. They are both pretty new so neither has been washed. I did have to take the Oobr apart today to vacuum. A friend's child rode in it yesterday. They ate in the backseat so everything had crumbs on it. I spent about 30 min this afternoon vacuuming out the car.

AtTheSouthDam

My car seats come out when I am bored :whistle:
I clean them when I clean the car 2-3 times a year (I used to do it every weekend but... well, life gets in the way :p)
I also clean when they are gross, melted chocolate, ice cream, etc. We really don't eat in the car that often but occaisionally, long trips and such, will get a small treat.

amy&girls

Not all that often. I should do it more, but the kids don't eat in the car, so the seats are pretty clean. I just cleaned them yesterday, for the first time since we got the Nautilus, and thats been 5 or so months. I'm always checking them though, to make sure they are still in and snug.

msg221

I only have kids in them maybe once a week and I don't allow them to drink anything but water while in them and rarely let them eat in their seats. If I do allow it, it is something easy to clean up, like crackers. After they have that, I will vacuum the crumbs out. Luckily I've never had any messy accidents in them from blowouts or leaky diapers.

christineka

We normally don't eat or drink in the car. I make exceptions for vacations and on the rare occasion when we are out, in a hurry, and go through a drive through. I let the older kids eat in their seats more than the younger ones.

I clean the seats:
After a vacation
After someone pees in their seat
Before selling (Sometimes)
Or
When the seat looks particularly dirty.

I vacuum out my carseats once a week when I vacuum out the van. I wash the covers once a month. I clean the straps with baking soda and water every beginning and ending of school year (its a great time to remember it with :) ) I tell my kids a clean car and carseats = a happy mom!

brooklynsmommy

I usually take them out once a month or so. That's my advice at seatchecks as well; it gives you a chance to check the installation and make sure everything is copacetic.

This. Her seat normally comes out every month or every two months so that I can clean it out. I can't stand dirty covers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC