Booster Training

ADS

Maedze

Not much to it :)

Start with short trips and no distractions like other kids or music. Remind the child of the rules and out you go. You'll figure out pretty quickly if your kid can handle it yet.

Maedze

Would you be comfortable starting the training with a 4 yr 2 mo who weighs 43 lbs ?

Yup. If you feel that she's responsive to parental direction and has at least some impulse control, now is a great time to start. On the other hand, if she's in a really defiant stage or has the impulse control of a chipmunk on crack, maybe you should wait a few months :D

veggiegirl228

Ok. I had originally planned on waiting till she was closer to 5 but with 2" left of harness the EFTA and the clearance of HB TB (of course the screws are in :p) at Target figured I could start now and see how it goes. Plan is like the store or the park since they are both within a mile of the house.

veggiegirl228

Ok last question hopefully :eek:

How long should I do the short trips before moving on to the longer ones and then FT use?

Maedze

Parental decision :)

It's all a play it by ear thing. If she rigidly obeys the rules the first few times, you can probably relax pretty quickly. If she doesn't, you won't :p

crunchierthanthou

Booster training in our house consisted of teaching dh how to route the seatbelt under the armrests. :rolleyes:

ds did great from the first trip, but is rather mature for a boy (IMO :love:).

veggiegirl228

At what age would you feel comfortable using a booster FT (provided the child sits correctly and listens to the rules) At what point does a booster vs 5 pt harness even out (protection wise)? (sorry if it's a dumb question, asking in case someone asks me the same question :eek:)

Maedze

I would be comfortable using a booster full time for a child who was at least 4 years old, at least 40 pounds, and followed the rules 100% of the time.

Now, the actual LIKELIHOOD of a 4 year old sitting in a booster correctly 100% of the time is so small it's nearly statistically irrelevant.

I'd say MANY kids reach that maturity in the year after the fifth birthday, and MOST reach that maturity in the year after the sixth birthday.

(You'll find that younger kids are slumpier, too. Even if they mind the rules while awake, they sleep more deeply and will slump out of the belt no matter how nicely you position or lock it.)

emandbri

Ok. I had originally planned on waiting till she was closer to 5 but with 2" left of harness the EFTA......

If you want to wait I'm sure it would be fine. Honestly 2 inches left in a harness is most likely 2 years! :D When Daniel was 3 1/2 he had 2 inches left in his marathon and he didn't outgrow it until he was 7!

veggiegirl228

If you want to wait I'm sure it would be fine. Honestly 2 inches left in a harness is most likely 2 years! :D When Daniel was 3 1/2 he had 2 inches left in his marathon and he didn't outgrow it until he was 7!

Believe me I'm in no hurry to start. I'm just looking at her growth history. Her head is about even the top of the shell and her weight is within 7 lbs as well. I'm going to use the seat till the end. Hence the reason to get a start now so she'll be used to the booster by the time we need to use it FT.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC