3-across in BMW X5, round 1 (pic heavy)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
This is our current set-up. Very tight, very hard to buckle both the Turbo and the SS1.

birthday305.jpg

Turbo and Marathon:
birthday302.jpg

The MA, Turbo, and CA fit beautifully FF:
birthday303.jpg

birthday297.jpg

The foot of the CA fits beautifully against the bolster, allowing the top rim to overlap it, saving quite a bit of room:
birthday296.jpg

birthday289.jpg

birthday292.jpg

With the CA RF, it completely overlaps the buckle...
birthday301.jpg

...and has to be alllll the way on the inside of the bolster:
birthday300.jpg

birthday298.jpg

With the MA RF, the Turbo is squished and forced to tilt:
birthday294.jpg

birthday293.jpg

I went to try out a Radian, but the baby store was closed for the long weekend. Right now I'm thinking the best option is going to be FF CA/FF Radian/RF Coccoro.

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Nice car! What MY? Too bad there aren't any boosters like the old style PW on the market currently. They are still so needed.

Do you have side torso airbags in the back seat? I don't see any tags on the seats, but the sides next to the doors look so beefy. It could just be the niceness of the car :).

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
It's a 2001 :) No side airbags in the 2001; they were standard in 2003. I'm happy not to have them, since BMW requires you to have them disabled if you have kids in either outboard seat.

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Will BMW actually disable them? Or do they give you a hard time about liability and not being able to do that (ie. as is often seen with disabling the front seat passenger air bag)

Maedze

Gotta ask, what's going on with the seatbelt in the first picture? The shoulder belt looks like maybe it's routed over the armrest rather than under? :confused:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Will BMW actually disable them? Or do they give you a hard time about liability and not being able to do that (ie. as is often seen with disabling the front seat passenger air bag)

Yes they will do it, for free :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Gotta ask, what's going on with the seatbelt in the first picture? The shoulder belt looks like maybe it's routed over the armrest rather than under? :confused:

It was under :) She was being a doofus and was flopping around acting silly for the picture.

lovinwaves

I smell a Radian in your future (as you say). I think that is going to give you LOADS more room.

So Heather how does the PW compare to the width of the Turbobooster? I only have experience with the PW. If she got an old style PW how much more room would she gain?

I'm surprised at the width of the car Anna. I think you picked the perfect vehicle :love: It's zzzeeexxxyyy too, and you're one hot mama. Look out!

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I am so excited for you and your new car!

I love, love, love little B eating his fruit in his carseat.:love:

Maedze

It might be different in this car. Depending on the car, a Radian can install like a dream. DD2 might be fine rear facing in it.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I smell a Radian in your future (as you say). I think that is going to give you LOADS more room.

So Heather how does the PW compare to the width of the Turbobooster? I only have experience with the PW. If she got an old style PW how much more room would she gain?

I'm surprised at the width of the car Anna. I think you picked the perfect vehicle :love: It's zzzeeexxxyyy too, and you're one hot mama. Look out!

Aw, you made me get my lazy bum up off my comfy couch and go measure my PW, lol. Fortunately today the kids and I measured a TB and it's a lot narrower than I thought--16". I think I measured it at it's widest point at the front. The PW measures 17.25" at the same point. But the PW is narrower at the back where the buckle is and doesn't have armrests and that's the key.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Ooooh, that would save us some room. Thank you for measuring! We re-arranged and with the bucket in the center it's a little easier to buckle. Still a major PITA, and I know I will be cursing every time I have to load up the kids, but it's better.

I have spent hours scouring the web and everything I have read says the Radian will work RF center but not outboard. Of course, I don't put much stock in that since we all know that the Radian takes some magic car seat skillz :cool: and I'm confident it will fit. If not, FF I know they will work. I just need to talk DD2 into RF. DD1 is excited to be able to go to kindy RF, but DD2 is a stubborn little toot. I'd love to get her through another winter RF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC