Pirate Egg

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Okay, I have the best husband... He fixed Nolan breakfast this morning and made "pirate eggs" which he thought off all by himself (he made the flags out of masking tape):

419090893_cbe4972865_m.jpg

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Yes, Brian is extremely creative... :D Nolan just told us a few days ago, "I want a boiled egg - I LOVE boiled eggs!" :confused: We had never given him any - I guess he had some at my in-laws house. Brian made them semi-soft boiled and sprinkled them with pepper and sea-salt. We're pretty lucky - Nolan will east most things we do.

Example - we have his friend over and I fixed them tortellinis for lunch: the friend didn't like them, even when I explained it was just like ravioli. So I asked if he wanted a rice cake with peanut butter. "Yes." I fixed that and he took one look at our organic crunchy peanut butter (the kind you have to stir the oil into :p ) and said, "What kind of peanut butter is THAT? I want creamy JIF." :confused: So I looked in the kitchen for organic creamy but all we had was the crunchy. I ended up feeding this kid a banana and grapes for lunch... :rolleyes: I had leftover Thai food in the fridge but I knew he'd never go for that, even though chicken-on-a-stick (chicken satay) is one of Nolan's favorite things.

Oh, I did sneak raw milk in there when he asked for a glass of milk...!

JaRylan

Those are cute, what a great daddy!

Isn't it wonderful having a kid who will eat anything. I've been stopped more times in the grocery store by people who are amazed when they see Rylan trying to swipe veggies in the produce aisle. :D

Yoshi

That's cute! Unfortunately, my daughter won't try new things- and she dislikes spicy or very ethnic flavors-despite my best efforts- and despite the fact that our family LOVES Middle Eastern and Japanese food. My son was like your son, Adventuremom, and he is to this day (he'll be 18 next week). He loves anything spicy and he even eats Sushi. As a toddler, he ate radishes and red onions! My daughter loves bland and plain foods the best. One good thing is that she loves ALL vegetables, ALL fruits, and pretty much anything else as long as it is steamed or boiled!

BTW, not to pick on you, please understand, but I was a little shocked that you snuck in raw milk to your son's friend...
If someone gave that to my DD w/out my knowledge, I'd probably be upset. That is a parental choice, IMO. Raw milk IS unpasteurized, am I correct?

JaRylan

LOL on the onions. When I'm cooking I have to use a whole onion...Rylan eats half of it before I get it all chopped up.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
yoshiandluke said:
BTW, not to pick on you, please understand, but I was a little shocked that you snuck in raw milk to your son's friend...
If someone gave that to my DD w/out my knowledge, I'd probably be upset. That is a parental choice, IMO. Raw milk IS unpasteurized, am I correct?

You know, I thought about that. But his parents are very laid back and "whatever" about everything. And I'd have no problem telling them about it. Now, if it had been our across-the-street neighbor, I wouldn't have done it b/c it would've freaked them out.

I do respect others' decisions - just like I wouldn't want someone feeding my son stuff that I don't want him to eat or watching a violent TV show that we don't allow at home. But I guess I know the parents well enough to know they wouldn't care. Good point, though :)

broken4u05

very cute. My parents tought me to try everything and now i am not picky at all and i hope hope hope my kids will not be picky at all

southpawboston

that is too cool!!!

did you or your DH ever read that chldren's book series based on pictures of people and things made out of food? "fast food" is about transportation, "baby food" is about baby animals, etc... my DH loves them, they are immensely creative sculptures!

Simplysomething

Cute egg.

:)

My oldest son is at this point where he will say he doesn't like anything you offer him. Even if it's his favorite food ever.

We don't like crunchy peanut butter--but he wouldn't have requested Jiff. Because I'm not a choosy mom, and everyone knows that only choosy moms choose jiff. We choose skippy. lol (The reason I don't like crunchy--is I don't know. It reminds me of roaches. And I really can't explain why--it's just a connection my brain has made. So, it makes me gag. I used to LOVE crunchy peanut butter).

I don't have many of DS1's friends over--because I'm not a kid person, but when I have, have shared food, drinks or treats--I've made them go home and ask if they could have some. If the child comes back with a NO, then we don't have any either, or they go home. KWIM? I'm terrified that I'm going to accidently give a cookie to a child with (type1)diabetes or some horrible life threatening allergy. So, I cover my behind. Do I have a point?

Possibly.

broken4u05

I always knew what i could eat before going to friends houses. And when i have kids i will have a small list of foods that they can't have. But i do not care that much. If they will eat it than fine they can eat it. As long as their whole diet is not candy than i am fine(i am taking about at a friends house. and if my child cant eat anything then i would let the parents know)

Last edited:

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
My niece has a severe peanut allergy, so I'm very sensitive to allergy-related issues. Right now, Nolan is at an age where I know all of friends pretty well b/c we're friends with the parents. He doesn't have any friends with food allergies but there are some children in our homeschool groups with food allergies. I would never have a friend over that I didn't know well without asking the parents if there are any foods that the child shouldn't eat... I remember keeping a friend's DD one day and taking her and Nolan to the park nearby. I don't remember food allergies being an issue when I was a child (okay, I'm aging myself now :rolleyes: )...

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member

Update...! Your comment really got me thinking, so I mentioned the raw milk to B's mom today. She was totally unphased and said that they weren't into "healthy" food but they had relatives on farms who drank raw milk. She said that anything we feel is safe enough for our child is okay with her ;) I'm getting to know her better since our sons get along so well and we see them more and more, and that's kind of how I thought she would respond. But, you're right, in the future, I should probably check with a parent just to make sure. Thanks for bringing that up :) It's just such a part of our normal life that I don't think of it as being that unusual anymore, KWIM?

Yoshi

Update...! Your comment really got me thinking, so I mentioned the raw milk to B's mom today. She was totally unphased and said that they weren't into "healthy" food but they had relatives on farms who drank raw milk. She said that anything we feel is safe enough for our child is okay with her ;) I'm getting to know her better since our sons get along so well and we see them more and more, and that's kind of how I thought she would respond. But, you're right, in the future, I should probably check with a parent just to make sure. Thanks for bringing that up :) It's just such a part of our normal life that I don't think of it as being that unusual anymore, KWIM?

Yeah, I KWYM.... I am the food "police" according to my mother...(I'd use the word "Nazi", but I'm German, AND DH is Jewish, so we don't use that word jokingly;) ) Anyhow, I don't give DD cold cuts or hot dogs because of Nitrates AND Listeria (sp?) and I don't give her Feta or Brie (not that she would even eat them anyway, LOL!) because they are unpasteurized cheeses and they have caused some illnesses. I don't give her ground beef AT All (not even organic farm beef) because of E. Coli and also yes, Mad Cow. So I am a bit nutty about things. My mom still eats raw hamburger and raw bacon as she is cooking. She was raised in a very peasant-like way in Germany in the 1940's and drank milk from the cow. She used to milk cows! I am the total opposite when it comes to food. I don't trust anything! My best friend's uncle recently died from a brain abscess that was caused by a parasite which the health dept. determined most likely came from his frequent(daily) eating of take-out Indian/Chinese/Thai food in NYC- probably very rare, but stuff like that freaks me out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC