Toddler bed with rails in the middle?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm looking for a toddler bed, and they all seem to have these little tiny rails by the kid's head, making it seem like it would be way too easy to fall out of. DS never had a toddler bed, though, so I don't know.

I found this one and love it (not so much because it turns into a chair, though that's cool): http://www.pkolino.com/Toddler-Bed-Orange-p/pkffborg.htm The problem is that all the sites I've seen list its weight at 60-70 lbs, and I need something much lighter.

So... Help me find something.

If it matters, DD co-sleeps and will for quite a while, so she won't use the bed right away, but I do need to buy it within the next few weeks.

ADS

SavsMom

I have never seen one with the rails in the middle either (well, until you posted the one you have found). We ended up getting a daybed type toddler bed with the full "headboard" type rail on one side and the half rail on the other. For what its worth, my daughter started sleeping in it at around 20 months and being a "thrasher" when she sleeps I was really concerned about her falling out as well, surprisingly she has only fallen out once :thumbsup:

Truth be told I was so worried about her falling out that I did put some extra padding in the form of blankets and pillows on floor just in case. I will also add that her toddler bed is so close to the floor that she barely woke up when she did fall out.

MySillyKids

Here's DD's bed.

e5e9c6d6.jpg

It's an Ikea bed. Both the head of the bed, and the foot of the bed fold up, and it's more crib like. Both of those railings can go on either side. I have both railings on ONE side, so that she doesn't fall off the already low to the ground bed. lol.

That, and the wall is on the other side!

HTH!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
MSK, which Ikea bed is that? Does that take a regular crib mattress? That's my other requirement: It must fit a regular crib mattress.

MySillyKids

You know, i don't know if it would hold a crib mattress or not. I could check for you though, i do have a crib mattress. I'll post pics in a second. You could theoretically use those rails on ANY bed, though. as long as it's thin.

here's the rails themselves:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30099293

It looks like ikea doesn't carry the bed itself anymore anyways. I'm sure if you folded up the bed, the bottom part of the bed could house the crib mattress. Then you can buy ikea's foam bedding and use the smaller two inserts in the top and bottom of the folded bed. (probably not going to work, i'll post pics in a few, why. I gotta take apart the bedding to do it, (gotta wash it anyway ;) )

(then keep the 'bed' part stored, it's light cause it's foam. lol.)

ETA: the bed is 4 years old. We got it for DS1 when he moved out of the crib, before DS2 got here. All 3 kids have used it, it's still in awesome shape!

brookity

We had this and it came with two half rails that could be used at the same time to form a full rail. Maybe that is something you could do to keep her from falling out until she learns how to stay in bed.

ETA: Also it is only 33 lbs.

aeormsby

We didn't use bed rails at all. DD moved to a twin bed right around her 2nd birthday, I don't remember if we put anything on the floor next to her. We converted the crib to toddler bed for DS not long after he turned 2 (28m?) and I just put my body pillow on the floor next to him. He only rolled out a couple of times in the 3 months the pillow was there.

LM4M

CPST Instructor
nak

dd1 was 10 months when we put her in the toddler bed. she learned to walk right before 9 months and then started climbing :eek: she fell out once or twice but never even woke up, its like 6 inches to the floor. its not even something id be concerned about. :twocents:

BabyKaykes

Cute...a toddler futon!!!

I really wouldn't be concerned about the fall from a toddler bed to the floor, especially if the kid is over 12mths. I just measured and it is 11" from the top of DS's mattress to the floor.

DS has this bed from Walmart. It was $50 and exactly what I was looking for. DS, just happens to be a HORRID sleeper - sleeps like a rock, just won't be still! He's only ever "fallen" out once that I'm aware of, and apparently it didn't wake him because he was still on the floor in the morning when I found him.

4956_111939994879_671499879_2879787_3335408_n.jpg

n671499879_2249250_3275310.jpg

LM4M

CPST Instructor
Cute...a toddler futon!!!

I really wouldn't be concerned about the fall from a toddler bed to the floor, especially if the kid is over 12mths. I just measured and it is 11" from the top of DS's mattress to the floor.

DS has this bed from Walmart. It was $50 and exactly what I was looking for. DS, just happens to be a HORRID sleeper - sleeps like a rock, just won't be still! He's only ever "fallen" out once that I'm aware of, and apparently it didn't wake him because he was still on the floor in the morning when I found him.

4956_111939994879_671499879_2879787_3335408_n.jpg

n671499879_2249250_3275310.jpg

I must see this cool design in his hair... do you have a picture? :whistle:

swtgi1982

that is the same one my DS1 has. You have not had issues with the screws staying in? Ours keep coming loose even after DH put lock tight on it.

natysr

Jordan's crib converted to a toddler bed with no rails. We didn't add any either. His room was carpeted. Had it be over hardwood, then that would be a different story.

I fell out of a twin bed as a kid many time, and it never hurt.

I think Jordan only fell out if his bed twice.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Thanks, guys. I think I'll just find something cheap off craigslist and not worry about it. DD will probably be sleeping with us until she's too big for a toddler bed anyway, so whatever I get will likely be a glorified crib-mattress stand. It would be nice if she'd learn to nap on her own again, though...

Her crib does convert to a toddler bed, I think, but I need something with shorter sides because there's going to be a low bunk above it.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
We had the Dora toddler bed for dd2. It worked great, the rails were plenty to keep her in. I got it off Craigslist for $5.
when I was done, I sold it (with my mattress and some sheets) for $20. (the mattress was pretty beat-up though).
You can find some great deals there and if you have your mattress, you should be able to find something. You could always buy one of those longer mesh bed rails and just not put the regular rail on the toddler bed and use the others, they are long.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC