Need some reccomendations...

lccreature

I am looking for reccomendations for carseats for my 3 DC. DS is 6 yr, 49lbs, 48" (have not measured his shoulder height yet). He is currently in a Century/Graco Nextstep combo used as a booster. I would really like to get him back into a 5pnt harness for as long as possible. If not I could use some reccomendations for good boosters. I have looked at the Cosco Apex but not sure how long that will last with height and dont like the fact that is requires headrest...we do have headrests in out 2003 Toyota Sienna but to me that just says it is a flimsy seat. I could be wrong though. DS #2 is 4 1/2, 38lbs, 44" with 15 1/2 " shoulder height. He is also in a Centruy/Graco Nextstep but with the harness system. He has 2 lbs and/or 1" before he is out the that seat with harness. Again I would like to keep him harnessed for as long as possible. DD will be 2 in a few weeks. She is 28lbs, 33". She is currently is a Evenflo Vanguard RF. It can be used RF up to 30lbs. The way the seat is designed I dont think it would work well FF anyway. To loosen and tighten the straps you have to reach behind the seat and loosen/tighten the straps while pulling the release tab. If the seat was FF the straps would be up against the seat of the van . It may work fine since it would be in a more upright position, but not wanting to worry about that...want a new seat for her anyway. I would like something that she could stay RF as long as possible and use for a long time after FFing. We are on a tight budget but I want to do what is best for my DC. Right now I think DS#1 is top priority, since DD and DS #2 have a few more lbs in their seats. TIA!

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am looking for reccomendations for carseats for my 3 DC.

DS is 6 yr, 49lbs, 48" (have not measured his shoulder height yet).
He is currently in a Century/Graco Nextstep combo used as a booster. I would really like to get him back into a 5pnt harness for as long as possible.
If not I could use some reccomendations for good boosters. I have looked at the Cosco Apex but not sure how long that will last with height and dont like the fact that is requires headrest...we do have headrests in out 2003 Toyota Sienna but to me that just says it is a flimsy seat. I could be wrong though.

DS #2 is 4 1/2, 38lbs, 44" with 15 1/2 " shoulder height.
He is also in a Centruy/Graco Nextstep but with the harness system. He has 2 lbs and/or 1" before he is out the that seat with harness. Again I would like to keep him harnessed for as long as possible.

DD will be 2 in a few weeks. She is 28lbs, 33".
She is currently is a Evenflo Vanguard RF. It can be used RF up to 30lbs. The way the seat is designed I dont think it would work well FF anyway. To loosen and tighten the straps you have to reach behind the seat and loosen/tighten the straps while pulling the release tab. If the seat was FF the straps would be up against the seat of the van . It may work fine since it would be in a more upright position, but not wanting to worry about that...want a new seat for her anyway. I would like something that she could stay RF as long as possible and use for a long time after FFing.

We are on a tight budget but I want to do what is best for my DC. Right now I think DS#1 is top priority, since DD and DS #2 have a few more lbs in their seats. TIA!

DS #1-- try a Britax Regent or Cosco Apex. Those will probably keep him harnessed the longest. If you decide to go with a booster, I would recommend the Britax Parkway. It is nice and tall and offers TSIP.

DS #2-- try a Britax Regent or Cosco Apex. I would recommend trying one of the HWH Britax seats such as the Marathon, Decathlon, or Boulevard, but I think he will outgrow those seats soon.

DD-- try a Cosco Scenera if you want to keep her RF until 35 pounds. However, if you are more interested in long-term use, I would look into a Britax Marathon or Fisher-Price Safe Voyage Deluxe. The FPSVD would last her until 55 pounds and the MA would last to 65 pounds (or until outgrown by height). Both those seats RF to 33 pounds.

Good luck!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Excellent recommendations from Patriot!!! My only thought is that I'm not sure how much longer either of the two older ones would last in any 5-pt-harness on the market right now other than the Regent and the Safeguard Childseat. Unless you happen upon one of the 19" top-slot Apex's rather than the 17" top slot ones, it really won't last long, if it's not outgrown height-wise already.

If you really want a 5-pt-harness, then go with the Regent, Safeguard Childseat, or wait until July for the new Recaro... :)

For DD, Patriot is right on the mark there :D

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Excellent recommendations from Patriot!!! My only thought is that I'm not sure how much longer either of the two older ones would last in any 5-pt-harness on the market right now other than the Regent and the Safeguard Childseat. Unless you happen upon one of the 19" top-slot Apex's rather than the 17" top slot ones, it really won't last long, if it's not outgrown height-wise already.

If you really want a 5-pt-harness, then go with the Regent, Safeguard Childseat, or wait until July for the new Recaro... :)

For DD, Patriot is right on the mark there :D

Thanks, Maria! :D

lccreature

I did measure DS #1 and his shoulder height is 17". I am thinking we will need the Regent. Or should we wait until the new Recaro comes available? I think I will probably get a Cosco Scenera now for DD so that she can stay RF for as long as possible and just get another seat once she is FF.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I think you could go either way... We need to start thinking about the next seat for our son, and we're waiting on the new Recaro just to see how it compares to the Regent. Then it will be Recaro, Regent, or Safeguard Childseat. Those are the ones with the higher top slots. I think it goes like this: Regent (20-21" top slots and 80lbs), Safeguard (19" top slots and 65lbs), and new Recaro (19" top slots and 70lbs). :)

ETA: Hmmm... 17" to the shoulder? Then probably the Regent at this point if he's already that size.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC