Having trouble pulling the trigger

glockchick

Is it really worth the $160 to rear-face an almost 4 year old in one of the two vehicles she rides in? I've already ordered her a Nautilus for dh's car, but I could take it back if I needed to. However, then she'd need two CA's, one for his car and one for mine. :rolleyes:

She wants to. She sat rf-ing in ds's Marathon today (34 lbs) and loved it, but that may just be because it's something new.

Truthfully, the money's not there. I can make it happen, but it'd be on credit. Is it worth it? She'll be 4 on August 31st.

DS's doing ok in his rf-ing marathons so I'm not ordering him anything new yet. I would like to. His legs are squished especially in dh's truck, but it's a want, not a need right now.

ADS

brooklynsmommy

At this age I would only do it if you can afford to do it. I ended up selling both of my Nautilus' and got DD a CA instead. She seems so much more comfortable in it.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I would do it, and here's why. The CA has some TALL top slots, not much lower than the nautilus, and after you RF her in it, she can use it as her FFing seat until she just need a booster, like a PW or TB. PLus, CA's have been on sale lately, and you can get one for much less than $160..they were $129 at my BRU the other day... You know, if you get the nauti, you might still have to end up buying another booster, since you have no guarantees it will fit well (it doesnt fit my kid at ALL) So cost wise, it really isn't all that much more, when all is said and done, and you get the extra RFing time.

emandbri

That is a hard one. It is a shame you don't have a crystal ball that would tell you how long it would be until she reached 40 lbs. Elizabeth reached 35 lbs last may and then jumped to 39 in a few months time! She did hover at 39 lbs though and I weighed her yesterday and she was past 40 lbs for the first time. So I would have gotten a little over a year out a seat that goes to 40 lbs rear-facing. She does have a nautilus in our other car.

glockchick

Thanks. I haven't found any stellar deals. They're still full price at both Target and TRU. I'd like to get LXs because it's a pita to install anything rear facing in my truck and I've had much better luck with seats with bases.

When I tried the kids in the CA's, they actually had more room in them than in the Nauti. Go figure. lol I don't make heavy kids so they should be able to use them until they outgrow by height.

The least I can find the CA LX for is $167 at BabyAge. The harvest one at TRU would be $153 with tax.

But you see, I'd have to get at least 2, preferably 4 so all their seats match. :eek: They have to at least match in my vehicle. :eek:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Normally, I'd say no. But since you don't have top tethers, I'd go with "if you can" -- meaning that IMO it's a worthwhile investment, but it doesn't trump groceries and mortgage and all that other good stuff.

I don't think matching is as important as protecting necks.

glockchick

That is a hard one. It is a shame you don't have a crystal ball that would tell you how long it would be until she reached 40 lbs. Elizabeth reached 35 lbs last may and then jumped to 39 in a few months time! She did hover at 39 lbs though and I weighed her yesterday and she was past 40 lbs for the first time. So I would have gotten a little over a year out a seat that goes to 40 lbs rear-facing. She does have a nautilus in our other car.

I know, right? lol

Mommy2Marcus

I personally would not myself. I would go ahead with what you have. However IF you're having to buy a new seat anyhow, then I might think about it. But personally for me 3 is where I am comfortable with FF full time.

Jonah Baby

I would not. Several reasons why.

(Why do you have to get CAs? Why not other 40# options?)

Personally, I would be perfectly happy getting my kiddos to ~4 RF, if they fit longer, they'd stay longer. At or around age 4, I wouldn't spend tremendous money to keep them RF unless there were other concerning medical factors.
The money thing gets to me. I spend too much "frivolous" money as it is and I view this scenario as a very expensive frivolous spending (especially if you *must* get 4 of them, that's about $700!) I would prefer that money get sent to insurance, or paying off debts, buying some of the necessities we currently are going without, putting some in the kid's savings.

If you really feel you must have new seats, why don't you wait to see what hits market next month? That will probably open your options and cause last years seats to drop more in price.
I think you mentioned your other little one was getting squished in his seat? I would look to replace his seat first than buy new ones to reRF a 4 year old.

glockchick

I wouldn't really get 4, I would just want to. lol

CJ seems to be doing ok in the MA in my car. His feet were squished in dh's, but now I have to replace that seat anyway. :p

So I'll get him a CA for dh's car and he can stay in the MA in mine. I was already replacing Kaleigh's seat in dh's car because it was expired. I have a Nautilus on the way from WM, but I can return it no problem.

The reason for the CA is that Radians don't fit and the MR is so deep it would be hard to get him up and in it. My truck is high as it is. I'm going for the highest harness height I can because the 2 littlest in my truck need to stay in harnesses as long as possible. The CA is higher than both the Nauti and the MyRide when I tried the kids in them. I also need narrow due to 6 kids in 6 seats. What was I thinking having 6 kids again? ;)

The credit would be temporary. In September I'll get the leftovers from my school grants and I'll pay it off then.

eta: I can also sell the two seats that I wasn't stupid with to pay for it.

glockchick

If you really feel you must have new seats, why don't you wait to see what hits market next month? That will probably open your options and cause last years seats to drop more in price.

Do we have any leads on what will be out? It would have to be narrow and hwh and install easily with seat belts with long belt stalks. Dang truck. :rolleyes:

As it stands right now, I have to replace the MA in dh's car now and Kaleigh also needs a seat in his car now. I may be able to wait on Kaleigh but she's right at that top slat, but I've gotta do something for CJ due to the tether strap incident this morning. Kinda mad at myself for that one. Way to ruin a perfectly good seat in a way that had a easy fix.

With the seats I have now, I could theoretically put CJ ff-ing in the Scenera (it won't install rf-ing well) and let Kaleigh ride in a TB :eek: until next month, but I'm not wonderfully comfy with that option.

(Why do you have to get CAs? Why not other 40# options?)

I'm open to other options, I just haven't found any other than the CA, the Radian, and the MR. Am I missing something? I guess the new Britax seats will, but they're harness height will be shorter overall and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

cryway903

I would (and did...bought an xtsl) definatly rf her. Complete ossification doesn't happen until between 4 and 6. For that reason alone I would rf her. I have a 34.5 lb DD that will be 5 next month. I just re rf her. If there is a car seat on the market that will rf my child I would put them in it. Have you researched the advantages of erf? Your daughter (anyone really) would be sooooo much safer rf. 4 would be the absolute min I would consider ff now that I know the dangers. Actually now that I know 6 is my minimum as long as there is a seat they will fit rf. I would worry about safety over matching seats any day. Why do they need to match? What difference does it make?

glockchick

Why do they need to match? What difference does it make?

It doesn't really. I have a tiny bit of OCD and it will drive me nuts. My rules are weird though. The MA and BLVD are ok because they're the same basic seat though I did have a problem with that at first. Each kid gets the own pattern of their choosing if they're old enough. Once they're out of using the same type of seat, they no longer have to match. DS is in a cowmoo MA, DD2 is in a Madison (?) BLVD, and DD1 is in a crimson PW.

If dd2 goes into a Nautilus, anything is fair game for DS. For some reason, all that's ok, but say a BLVD and a CA wouldn't be. :ROTFLMAO:

Oh snap! I think my crazy is showing. :whistle:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Frankly, good time to conquer your compulsive-ish tendencies here. ;) I think it's worthwhile to buy ONE seat but you don't need to match. ;)

babyherder

If you're buying a new seat anyway, that's basically the same price as the CA, I would get the CA instead. She'll be safer and happier.

BrendansMommy

How far away is her 4th birthday? Honestly, I'm not terribly worried about a 4 yo FFing. Would it be better for her to RF? Yes--but to buy a seat with more limited use, I probably wouldn't.

And I'll look up the part numbers for the tether anchors, if you'd like.

glockchick

Thanks all. She'll be 4 in less than 2 months. However, I don't think it matters. I weighed her this morning on the Wii fit and she was 37 lbs. It's not worth it for 3 lbs. She'll keep the nautilus.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC