Graco Nautilus Or Nautilus Elite

U

Unregistered

Hello. I was wondering other than price, and the head rest if there's much difference between the Graco Nautilus and the Nautilus Elite.

ADS

Mae

The Elite version has a built in lock off, so no need to use a locking clip if your seat belt doesn't lock. A lot of people prefer seats with lock offs, they are much easier to install. It also prevents the seat from tipping if your seat belts lock at the retractor.

The Elite also has GracoPedic foam in the bum area.

Mommy2Marcus

There is not a ton of difference between them. The differences are that the Elite has the adjustable headrest, built-in lock off's & seems a little more plush to me. Those are really the only differences.

I own the Nautilus Elite & have been super pleased with it. I have found it to be a great seat for us.

If you let us know the age, weight & torso height (you get this by sitting the child against the wall with their behind flat to the wall & have the sit up nice & tall, then measure from the floor to the top of their shoulder) of the child as well as what type of car this will be going into, then we can help with reccomendations.

U

Unregistered

My daughter is 4 years old. She's 40 lbs. and 40 inches. The problem is that we have a 94 Camry. Maybe its' just me, but I don't trust the seat belts. I was just about to buy her the Nautilus, when I discovered the Elite. I saw that Walmart has the Nautilus pretty resonable. I wanted to know if it was worth the extra money for the Elite. My other 'baby' is grown, so I don't know a thing about the locking clips.

Mae

Do you mind sharing why you don't trust the seatbelts?

Do your seatbelts lock? If it's a '94, it may or may not have locking seatbelts, I'm not sure. However, I do know that it was mandatory for seatbelts to lock after '96, so it's possible that your seatbelts lock. If they don't lock, then the Elite would be a wonderful choice over the regular Nautilus (referred to as the GN), that way you could avoid using a locking clip.

Do you mind me asking what seat she's currently in? If she's 40lbs, then it's possible that she has outgrown her current seat.

rosey2007

I have tried both the Elite and the Regular Nautilus and ended up buying the regular one. I know that I am probably the odd duck but I found the regular Nautilus easier to install in my husband's old 1979 truck. I did not have to fuss with the lock offs and had to just put the locking clip on the seat belt.

U

Unregistered

Thank you all for your responses! My poor car is on it's last leg. Or should I say tire? One of the seat belts in the back doesnt work at all. I know you have to push them in hard to make sure they are locked, and this makes me nervous. She is in a Cosco High Back booster. We got it last summer. (yes she was in the 5 point) I never have cared for it. I can't wait to put it out to the curb! She's short waisted, but she's only going to get taller. At the present time buying the Britax Frontier 85 is out of the question. I don't see as I have any other choice but to get a Nautilus. That's why I was curious about the differences in them. I'm still kinda fuzzy on the lock off thing though.

Mae

The lock offs are really easy to use. Here are some pictures of how to use them. Yes, these pictures are for the infant seat base by Graco, but they are the same lock offs.

It's a little piece on the seat that allows you to put the seatbelt through it, close a plastic piece over the top of it and you're done. No need to lock the seatbelt and if you are using a lap/shoulder belt, (since you don't have to lock the seatbelt) it elimates the base tipping from one side to another.

I'm a visual person to the max, so I took some pictures for you! :)

First one is the lockoff open.
Second is how you'd just lay the seatbelt, then tighten it (shoulder or tail part of the lap belt as well).
Third you flip the red part over.
Fourth you snap over the gray part.
And Presto! You're done! It's so easy, I love it!

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

If you can't justify a Frontier, don't worry about it! Go ahead and get a GN or GNE; they are great seats and will last a long time. :) The only thing that worries me is the broken seatbelt. How exactly is it broken?

I can't wait to put it out to the curb!

Also, I hope you were just kidding when you said you can't wait to put it on the curb. You wouldn't want to put it somewhere that somebody can just snatch it and use it. You always want to dispose of you car seats properly. ;)

U

Unregistered

As for the disposal of the Cosco booster, I actually have a dumpster. I was going to take the seat out one week, then put the cover in a trash bag, and take it out the next week. That way no one gets any ideas. Thanks so much for the pics. I had a Graco Snugride for her when she was a baby. There were NO clips like that on it. On the broken seat belt - one of the things you put the belt in is broken. It's just my daughter back there, so thank goodness we don't need it. A new car is on our shopping list asap. I just want to make sure she's safe.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Lack of cover or harness won't stop anyone dumpster diving. I've seen one in use without the cover.

You could also look at the Evenflo Maestro. Though you'd need a locking clip if your belts don't lock.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

As for the dumpster diving.... ewwwww! Mine smells lovely. No thanks!! I can't imagine how hot, and uncomfortable that poor child was in the seat without the cover. A few weeks ago I saw a 20 year old booster seat in a car, so I guess it's possible. I think we're going to go with the regular Nauti. I hope I don't need those lock of things though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC