The importance of 5-point-harness

MamanMag

I was just visiting you tube to get some info on install and I found this link an many others recommending the same thing, I'm sure most of you have seen them but I still thought I would share... It emphasizes the importance of 5-point-harness versus just booster and seatbelt... This video was the reason why I went to buy the Frontiers for my girls who were in the TB's. Please feel free to comment on this as I have read several times that both are equally safe. Thanks!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ&feature=related"]YouTube- Importance of a 5-Point Harness Carseat[/ame]

Mag

Last edited:
ADS

TerisBoys

Yup. That video has been around for some time. :)

:yeahthat:

His parents went on to start the Kyle David Miller foundation, which offers higher weight seats to needy families. They also have an online store, hipmonkey.com that donates all proceeds to KDMF.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I just want to comment on the equally safe comment. You need to take this comment in the context that it is given on certain threads. NOONE here would say a 3 year old is safer in a booster. Most here would not say that a 30 pound 4 year old is safer in a booster. But, there is a compromise as the child gets older (usually at least age 5).

There is no evidence that a child that is of proper booster age (4 years +) and proper size (at least 35 pounds if not 40, usually on a sliding scale age to weight;)) and proper maturity, which is the key (usually at least age 4, if not 5 or 6) is safer in a harness over a booster.

There is a european school of thought that believes a harness past a certain age and size actually causes more head excursion than a booster.

Everyone needs to make their own educated decision on boostering their children, and that involves age (at least 4), size, usually at least 40 pounds, and maturity, that most feel is closer to 5, than 4.

Wiggles

There is a european school of thought that believes a harness past a certain age and size actually causes more head excursion than a booster.

Not to be rude, but I thought that harnessing past a certain age and size caused greater neck loads, not head excursion. Are they the same thing and I've missed something?

MamanMag

I just want to comment on the equally safe comment. You need to take this comment in the context that it is given on certain threads. NOONE here would say a 3 year old is safer in a booster. Most here would not say that a 30 pound 4 year old is safer in a booster. But, there is a compromise as the child gets older (usually at least age 5).

There is no evidence that a child that is of proper booster age (4 years +) and proper size (at least 35 pounds if not 40, usually on a sliding scale age to weight;)) and proper maturity, which is the key (usually at least age 4, if not 5 or 6) is safer in a harness over a booster.

Everyone needs to make their own educated decision on boostering their children, and that involves age (at least 4), size, usually at least 40 pounds, and maturity, that most feel is closer to 5, than 4.

Thank you for clarifying this Jennifer! This makes total sense now.

MamanMag

So after a certain age it might actually be safer to put them in a booster? I never saw it that way but I would love to learn more about it! Is there any additional info out there about that?

Actually I just thought of something, I know that pilots, F1 racers have a 5-point harness in the cockpit, racing cars, it just makes me think... They may come out of an accident alive but who knows with what type of injury... Maybe it's better for the neck if the body follows the force of the impact instead of having a strapped body and just the neck going front and back...

Thanks again for clarifying this and I hope I did not offend anyone with my post, I truly appreciate the great and precious help that all the techs here are giving!

firemomof3

Just remember that race car drivers (like Nascar) have their helmets tethered along with the 5 point harness.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
*nods* I am extremely comfortable with a child who is 6 (most kids have hit it by 6, though some don't reach that maturity level until 7) and has met the minimum weight of the booster in a booster full time, provided they are neurotypical and their parents believe they have reached the maturity level necessary. I'm comfortable with most 5 to 5 1/2 year olds who weigh 40 lbs. plus in a booster. I'm comfortable with some 4 year olds who are 40 lbs. plus in a booster, but most of them that I have met do need a harness at least some of the time. :)

Seatbelt failure is extremely, extremely rare, and I don't even consider that when making these choices.

glockchick

Just remember that race car drivers (like Nascar) have their helmets tethered along with the 5 point harness.

That's a relatively new thing though. They've worn 5 pt harnesses forever but didn't start tethering helmets to the car until Dale Earnhardt's fatal crash in 2001(?).

singingpond

That's a relatively new thing though. They've worn 5 pt harnesses forever but didn't start tethering helmets to the car until Dale Earnhardt's fatal crash in 2001(?).
My recollection of this is a bit foggy; however, I thought the head restraint device was already in use in the racing world at the time of his accident, but that Earnhardt had chosen not to use one -- at least I thought that's what they said in some of the news stories at the time.

glockchick

It may have been available and optional or something, but none of the drivers used them at that time as I remember.

Not saying it's not smart, or better because it is. It's a wonderful system. I was just pointing out that they wore 5 pts long before the head restraint system was in place. :thumbsup:

Gena

My recollection of this is a bit foggy; however, I thought the head restraint device was already in use in the racing world at the time of his accident, but that Earnhardt had chosen not to use one -- at least I thought that's what they said in some of the news stories at the time.

The HANS device (Head and Neck Support) was optional equipment at the time of Earnhardt's fatal crash, but was not mandated until later that year. Dale Earnhardt refused to use one, however IIRC, he strongly encouaged his son (Dale Jr.) to use one.

In 2000-2001, 5 NASCAR drivers died in crashes due to Basilar skull fractures. This type of injury is the result of the head continuing to move foward while the rest of the body is restrained by the 5 point harness. These deaths caused NASCAR to mandate the use of the HANS device in October 2001 (as well as the use of "soft walls" at all tracks).

Hubby is a big NASCAR fan and was deeply upset by Earnhardt's death, so this was a huge factor in our discussions of when to move DS to a booster.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
This has been discussed extensively here. I mean no disrespect to a grieving family that is trying to reach out after their tragedy, but a heartbreaking video is not "evidence". 3yos should not be in boosters. The end. There is no solid evidence, in this video or anywhere else, that children who can properly use boosters (age and maturity and impulse control play heavily into proper use) are less safe in boosters than they are in harnessed seats.

MamanMag

Thank you all so much for your input and great insight! I guess the bottomline is that we keep getting ourselves informed and make sure that whatever the child restraint we use, that we make sure that it is appropriate for our child (on all points; weight, height and maturity as it has been mentionned) and that we use it correctly each and every single time. That is the best we can do...

This forum is an amazing source of information, thanks again for your help!:thumbsup:

Jennifer mom to my 7

Not to be rude, but I thought that harnessing past a certain age and size caused greater neck loads, not head excursion. Are they the same thing and I've missed something?

Yes, you are probably right on that. Sorry for the confusion. I just wish I could find that study I found a couple of years ago on it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC