Vent Carseats for grandma's car and dumb sisters

wild-one

My mom wants to keep a carseat in her car for her grandchildren. My sister & I are both pregnant, due three months apart.

My mother will never have both babies together without me or my sister. She couldn't deal with two babies at once. and she would never be able to take both in a car.

I thank my sister and I should go in together and get a SR35 or smiler seat. My sister thinks each baby should have it's own infant seat. I just don't see the point!

Maybe they could each have a convertible but I just don't see my mother taking these kids anywhere together, She's 66 years old! And the best part is my sister think our mother should buy both the seats! That will not happen.

She told me all this at the famliy BBQ last night.

If you've made this far. Thanks for reading:).

ADS

xursusmaritimusx

this is just one of many ways you could handle this.

what if you and your sister each got the same kind of infant seat, for instance, a SR35, and then went in half for an extra base to keep in grandmas car?
then it would always be installed and you wouldnt have to worry about a new seat for at least 18mo - 2 years? (this is just an average estimate if you went with the SR35)

then the harness wouldnt need to be adjusted for each different baby.

you'd just leave the infant seat with grandma while baby was visiting.

urchin_grey

I agree, 2 seats would be silly. :) And unless Grandma is going to have either of the babies very often, a convertible would be more practical. Also, I know the babies will be very close in age, but if they don't wind up having pretty much the exact same torso height, then Grandma might wind up having to change the harness slots up and down every time she takes one of them. For that reason, I'd recommend a convertible with a no-rethread harness. The Evenflo Triumph Advance, The First Years True Fit, and the Safety First Complete Air are all good picks. I tend to lean towards The EFTA for Grandmas and such though because they are so easy to use. The harness adjuster is a knob and you simply turn it until it won't turn anymore. So no fighting with the harness adjuster and no guessing how tight the harness should be.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
I agree, 2 seats would be silly. :) And unless Grandma is going to have either of the babies very often, a convertible would be more practical. Also, I know the babies will be very close in age, but if they don't wind up having pretty much the exact same torso height, then Grandma might wind up having to change the harness slots up and down every time she takes one of them. For that reason, I'd recommend a convertible with a no-rethread harness. The Evenflo Triumph Advance, The First Years True Fit, and the Safety First Complete Air are all good picks. I tend to lean towards The EFTA for Grandmas and such though because they are so easy to use. The harness adjuster is a knob and you simply turn it until it won't turn anymore. So no fighting with the harness adjuster and no guessing how tight the harness should be.

:yeahthat:

urchin_grey

Ooh wait, actually, scratch the Complete Air. I forget that one doesn't fit infants well! :eek: My mind was stuck on harness type and totally forgot that detail. :p

TerisBoys

I agree with the bases - and if you're using different seats, then you can each get a spare base for your preferred seat.

I'm guessing since grandma doesn't take the baby(s) often, the bases and/or seat won't stay installed anyway.

(And where did I miss the post that you were expecting? Congrats!)

flipper68

Senior Community Member
:yeahthat: (Same IO for two babies - one base. OR convertible w/front adjust harness)

The very first KeyFit I ever saw was at a check up event: Two expectant couples & grandma. One of the to be moms had done research and came up with KeyFit as "The Best."

I have all five bases installed in NO time, despite the variety of vehicles. I was in love. :love:

swtgi1982

I would personally just get a converitble like the ones mentioned with no rethread harness. I will add to the list the evenflo symphony 65 as well.

cryway903

Just a guess here but it sounds to me like your sister doesn't want her baby riding in the same seat your baby rides in. If you think about it it kind of makes sense. Babies in car seats spit up, slobber, chew/suck on anything they can reach, diapers leak etc. Even cousins may have germs/illnesses you might not want your child sharing. I agree with two seats and a base for grandmas car. That way each baby has his/her own seat adjusted to fit it, your sister might be more comfortable knowing her baby will have its own seat and you dont have to worry about any shared germs, ill fitting straps, or soiled seat covers/straps. Just my 2 cents.

ETA just another guess here but is it possible your mom is the one wanting the seat in her car? And maybe your sister has no intention of your mom transporting her child? So if grandma is insisting on a seat in her car that your sister may not intend to put her child in maybe telling grandma if she wants one in her car she'll have to buy it is a way out for your sister? I know I would not let my grandmother transport any of my children for various reasons (questionable driving skills, memory loss, regularly transports dogs, dirty vehicle interior...) and if she kept insisting on needing a seat in her vehicle I could tell her she would have to buy it knowing she couldn't afford one therefore taking away any insistance to transport my child.

urchin_grey

Eh, its just baby puke. My son and nephews share seats all the time, even with the one that still spits up. :p

Then again, I've had my nephew's spit up all down my shirt and bra so I guess I'm past worrying about dried spit up on harness straps. :eek:

cryway903

I agree on the baby puke but not everyone feels that way. Especially if one baby is breast fed the other formula fed. Formula spit up can be really nasty. My cousin has a DD the same size as my 4 yo and close in age but there is no way I would have let my child sit in her carseat when they were babies. She projectile vomited and it was nasty. I love my cousins little girl but... so I can see someone not wanting their child to share a car seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC