Convertible for contoured seats?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Are there certain seats that work well in cars with contoured seats, specifically ones with bolsters on the sides? This is my backseat:

http://www.lazautos.com/fotos/WBAFA53511LM66643-9.jpg

I am planning trying the CA. The MA works better FF than it does RF, since FF the shell overlaps part of the bolster and it can scoot towards the door. I have read that the Radian fits RF but I've only seen of successful installs in the center. I might have to just suck it up and get a Coccoro, and revisit the situation when DS outgrows it (he's a peanut, so it would be at least a year).

Last edited:
ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
what do you need the seast to do? do you need it to FF or RF? That bolster doesnt look too bad
The titan works great FFing with bolsters because the seat itself is a curved round shell, and it just hugs the bolster.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Well, I need either two FF harness and one RF, or one RF, one FF, and one booster. I was thinking of putting a CA FF outboard for DD2, Turbo in the middle and then RF MA for DS, if that will fit. Or, CA FF/turbo/RF Radian, IF the Radian installs outboard.

The bolster is really pretty big. The backseat isn't super tiny, but the bolster cuts off abour 4" on either side, so that's 8" of usable room. I have read that the bolsters can be removed, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. :)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I don't think the pictures do the bolsters justice....they are huge in BMW's. They do make seat installs a PITA and I can't imagine trying to do a 3 across while dealing with them.
No advice as I only had one kid in our BMW and she was in a Marathon ff so it wasn't an issue. Good luck!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I had issues in the MDX. Even a RFing MA on the side, with a 3 across was hard.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

Yeah, with the MA RF, it has to be several inches from the side of the seat. With it FF, it can overlap quite a bit and can be moved towards the door at least 2". I was hoping having a Radian RF would afford me some more room, and looking at the shape of the Complete Air, it seems the cut-out sides might work to overlap the bolster and give me some more room (and the CA seems pretty narrow, as well).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The CA is pretty narrow. It also puzzles well next to a Radian, with either seat facing in either direction, in my experience. Hope it works for you!

TXDani

Senior Community Member

Maybe you need to gain some weight Judy! I just laid my big butt in the seat to squish down the side bolsters in the MDX to get it almost flat.:eek::D

tracee877

I can pretty much guarantee you the CA will not work RF. It is extremely wide at the front. My 06 Accord has those bolsters as well.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the input! I was thinking that FF the sides would overlap the bolster, but yeah I am thinking the Radian or Coccoro might be the only real options for R
F.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I have a car with awful bolsters also, and it's really easy to get 1 rf and 2 FFing seats, if you use a titan (or myride, I have heard) because the base of the seat is very narrow, and if you get a FFing seat that puzzles underneath it, it "buys" you a TON of room.

Here's some pics i have posted before. The 3-across shown is frontier, titan, turbo...you can sub a radian probably for either seat, since the low sides would fit right underneath the titan shell. The trick is that the titan, while something like 18 inches across at the widesat part of teh shell, is only a little over 10 inches across underneath, which is narrower than even a radian, and allows you to put it in some insanely tight spaces, as long as you puzzle it right. The second pic shows closeup how it overlaps, from a different tight 3-across.

3-across004.jpg

3acrosswindstar003-1.jpg

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The old Recaros & RN puzzle well. Maybe FF Signo/RF RN/FF CA?

You should be able to get an old model Recaro pretty cheap. :whistle:

Great to hear! I think we will try this exact setup. After looking at tons of photos it seems like the convertibles would work better than the ProSport/YoungSport, since they sit up on the huge base that a lower-profile seat can fit under. Although, I saw photos of 3 Young Sports across the back seat of a newer x5, so there is hope :thumbsup:

Tomorrow I'm going to try the CA and hopefully the Radian & Recaros at our specialty baby store (not sure if they carry them or not).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC