Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Decent pont and shoot camera for $250 ish?

I need a camera- I am not a budding photographer, and have no aspirations to be a great one My old Sony w/the floppy disc finally died and my budget is around $250. Is there something that is super user friendly, point and click type of deal, easy to download pics to my PC, etc?
    11yo DD *69lb* Backless Turbo
    8.5yo DD *45lb* High Back Turbobooster/Pink Monterey
    6yo DS *43lb* Cowmoo Parkway SG/Lizards In Line Turbobooster
    2y4m DD*24lb*RF in an Alma MR 65 and Kathryn RA 55

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member sirrahn's Avatar

Re: Decent pont and shoot camera for $250 ish?

Ha! I also have an old Sony with a floppy disk. I haven't had a computer with a disk drive in years though.

I'm also not a photographer or have any aspirations to be such, and I've been very happy with my Panasonic Lumix TZ5. I think the similar cameras are now the ZS series. They have much higher zoom than the standard models which I've found really nice for getting pictures of the kids at school events. It has an "intelligent auto" mode that takes nice pictures in most situations with no input from me. It also takes good video in a pinch.

Here's [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS5-Digital-Stabilized-2-7-Inch/dp/B003966MQ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278175689&sr =1-2"]one model in your price range[/ame].
    Mom to DS-22 driving a 2011 Honda CR-Z, DS-19 driving a 2010 Toyota Prius, DD-16 driving a 2017 Toyota Yaris iA, and DD-14 riding in a 2018 Mazda CX-9 & 2018 Mazda CX-3

I've loved our Kodak EasyShares (we've had 4, not b/c they broke but b/c they got lost), and you can get a great one used on eBay for a heck of a lot less than $250. I got an 8MP one last week for $25 + shipping. No software to install, plug in the cord, and the computer will ask you what you want to do with the camera, just pick to download pics. IF you go to the kodak site and download the software, it does about the same thing, but in a nifty little program that organizes your photos into albums. I just organize them myself in My Pictures until I put them on CD.

Carseat Crazy

Sony Cybershot rocks. I have had a few...they haven't ever broken on me... I got a new on in Jan 09 - the pastel pink one for $150 at Wal Mart, I think it's 7.2 MP. I dropped it several times....I mean, all the time! finally one day when it fell off the counter onto the tiles it was done. It still works perfectly well but the screen is shot. I could have replaced it but for the money, I just bought a new one.

I got this one from the Sony store on sale for $129 and it's 12.1 MP with a bigger display. It is an AWESOME little camera and super user friendly. My mom is a photographer and even she is shocked at the quality of the pictures she can get with it.

I do not recommend the Kodak cameras, I know people that have them and they don't take good pictures. My aunt has a Polaroid digital and it's terrible. We have a Fuji FunPix or something like that before and it was decent.

IMO you do not need to spend $250 for something like that, I wouldn't. There are severa great point and shoot cameras for under $150 out there.

Try looking at the Sony store if you have one near you because surprisingly, they have much better deals on products than any Target or Wal mart, I never would have thought! You can also negotiate a little unlike a major department store or Target etc. I also got a pink Sony Vaio netbook that day for under $350 including tax when the list price is $499. The employees are on commission so it's easy to get deals without really trying.
    <3

Thanks everyone! The Sony Cybershot looks like something that would work great for me, going to see if I can find one locally to look at, don't think we have a Sony store nearby, though.

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

I have a kodak easy share, and it works well.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a point & shoot
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

I would actually avoid the Sony cybershot and the kodak easy shares
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lovinwaves View Post
    I would actually avoid the Sony cybershot and the kodak easy shares
    What would you get? Just curious .
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

Quote Originally Posted by CelticLabyrinth View Post
    What would you get? Just curious .
    Not sure. Just not those two. My mom has a Kodak, and I have had two cybershots. At Best Buy where DH works they don't recommend them either. I can't remember if it was a canon or nikon point and shoot they recommended. I really need a new camera, but I haven't started researching them yet. My cybershot does ok with outside pictures, but inside it sucks, imo.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

I have a 4-5 year old EasyShare, and the only problem I've had is that sometimes it says the batteries are dead when they're not (switching them with each other clears it).

Eva got a Cannon PowerShot for her birthday this year, and I have noticed that the picture quality is better than my camera (hers is both newer and higher MP). I haven't really used it to compare the ease of use, but she hasn't complained about any issues. Oh, I just noticed something that would irritate me. The memory card on hers is inside the battery compartment (which is rather difficult to open). Mine's inside a separate compartment, which is easier to access.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

DH just surprised me with a Nikon CoolPix L110

Thoughts?

Honestly? We got one, had it for a few days, and haaated it

I just thought it took horrible pictures indoors, but my Sony that replaced it isn't much better though. Maybe you will have better luck with it than I did. Maybe I just needed to understand some more of the settings, but that's why I got a point and shoot...so I wouldn't have too
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9