Just curious - why no chest clips in German seats?

geberika

CPS Technician
A friend of mine is visiting Germany and just emailed me that the infant seats don't have chest clips. She's currently using this seat, the Concord Ion. She's going to be there for another month or two, with an approx 15lb 6m baby.

ETA: Oops, forgot the link.

ADS

Mae

Chest clips are really just a pre-crash positioner. They are designed to break upon impact (which is why it's so important that they are in the correct spot). Most foreign car seats do not have chest clips. I suppose US manufacturer's just assume that we can't tighten the harness as tight as it should be, so they put the chest clip on the seat to help keep the straps coming across the child's shoulders.

As long as she has the harnessed tightened up properly, her child is perfectly safe without the chest clip! (Of course, provided it's installed and being used properly. ;))

o_mom

EU has different standards and I was always told that they required one point of release for the harness so that it could be released quicker in an emergency. A chest clip would be a second point to release. I have never read the actual EU standards on this point to verify it, though.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
One point of release is the reason--and the routing of the harness itself is different through the tongues... often times, the crotch buckle is higher, as well. There's no reason WHY we have to have chest clips on rear-facing seats in Canada or the US--in fact, there have been seats in both markets that have not required use of a chest clip.

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC