Question Child care center van - Ideas for safety seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrclay

URGENT - Child care center van - Ideas for safety seats

My son will be moving up to the older class at his preschool and they routinely go on field trips to the farmers market and are transported in an older 15 passenger van with safety seats. I recently approached the director and asked about the how the seats were obtained, if they've been checked for expiration and who installs them. They've all been donated and she thinks they were installed by a police officer parent a few years ago. She then said she be more than happy to let me take the lead on checking the seats. Of course I'm not going to install them as I'm not a certified tech (if you happen to be in the Northern Virginia area and want to help please let me know).

In our discussion, the director said it would probably be ideal if all the seats were the same - her thinking was the that in the event of evacuation, the staff could be certain of use.

My first step is to inspect the seats they have and what kind of seat belts - I'm guessing lapbelts. Then to find a certified tech in the area to help with install.

I suspect that some of the seats will have to be replaced. What would you suggest we look for when replacing the seats? the kids that are transported are ages 3-5 ish. Any thing else I should be mindful of?

Last edited:
ADS

mommyfrog

Look for something that harnesses to a higher weight and height. Maestro, Nautilus, Radian 65, Frontier in least $$ to most $$ off the top of my head.

Maestro only goes to 50 pounds, so if any of the kids were over that, they'd have to be in something else. Straps go to 18". Nautilus goes to 65 pounds and 18.5 inches. Radian 65 goes to 65 pounds and 17.5 inches. Frontier goes to 85 pounds and 19.5".

I'm working with my dd's preschool and they drive a 15 passenger van. I'm going to recommend Maestros and high back Turbos for them. Slightly different situation though, because they also transport school age kids in the same van.

vrclay

Ok, so I checked out the van and it is much worse than I expected. Not only are the seats poorly installed, the newest "seat" is a backless booster which I'm certain should not even be used on the bench seats in the van. I don't know the particular make and model of the van but it's an american made van ( I think Dodge or GMC) and I'm sure it's at least 15 years old.

In order of date of manufacture the van holds:
2 Century seats with pull over shield - DOM 1985
1 Century seat with a t-shaped sheild that buckles at the crotch - DOM 1985
2 Century seats - DOM 6/96
4 Century looks like a highback boosters w/5 point harness - DOM 5/00, 12/00, 8/01, 5/03
1 Cosco (maybe convertible seat) DOM 2/00
1 Cosco backless booster (exp 2014)

I know these seats were all given to the school over the years.

The van has 4 bench seats. The 5 belts on the outboard seats are shoulder belts (4 on the driver side and 1 on the rear bench on the pass side) and the remaining are lap belts. I highly doubt the shoulder belts lock. Can they be used with a high back booster?

I am just at a loss here. Not even sure where to start with the director. This is the same lady who only serves organic food, refuses to use harsh chemicals and is adamant that no red dye enters the facility! Are you even kidding me, and the kids have been riding around in 25 year old seats that are not even installed close to safely. :eek::mad::eek:OK, rant over.

So...

We will need new seats - any advice on what to recommend? which will fit 3 across best and easy for install if staff has to take them in and out of the van.

I'm going to contact the local police station to see if they can come and train the staff on child seat safety and install the seats.

And the van should be retrofitted for tether anchors - right?

Any advice would be appreciated. Especially on order of importance...and how to approach the director.

Last edited:

Wiggles

Did you check to see how wide the bench seats were? I'm just thinking that you may be able to fit three-across a little better depending on the width of the seats compared to those of a minivan.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'd go for Maestros and Turbos. Heck, the Cosco Pronto would be cheaper than the Turbo. Maestros are fairly narrow and you could do them in the center seats and boosters outboard.

If there are no headrests (I assume there are not), you cannot safely use a backless booster in any position.

Yes, they should check for retrofitting top tethers but my first priority would be to get rid of those old seats. The children absolutely can NOT ride in them again! If they cannot get all new seats all at once, then they either have the parents provide (and install) their own seats (with instruction that they must be in a high-back booster or a harnessed seat) or they just don't go on field trips until they can replace all the seats.

They should insist that all children under age 4 and under 40 pounds ride in harnessed seats. Most 5yo are mature enough and big enough to ride safely in a high-back booster.

Wow, what a task. I'm glad someone offered to take it on. Get them educated and see if maybe the local SafeKids could help them out a bit on some of the new seats.

emtb79

Here's a suggestion how bout trying to do a fund raiser for new seats. The parents of the center/preschool are going to have their children in the van dont they want their children to be safe? I would say try to get a few Nautiluses and put them in the center positions for bigger kids because my just turned 5 yr old is huge. From what I can remember in my old van the center usually had the tether position. I have also been able to fit 2marathons and a EFTA on one 3 passenger bench so it works. You may want to check the manual for the van and make sure the last row can even have harnessed seats in it mine couldn't.

emtb79

Also I wish I could do something like that with the daycare down the street because they have an old van and saw them with high back boosters in the center position where there were only lap belts.

cmm7

I'd go for Maestros and Turbos. Heck, the Cosco Pronto would be cheaper than the Turbo.

If there are no headrests (I assume there are not), you cannot safely use a backless booster in any position.

However, if there is not head support, a Pronto wouldn't work. It is like a backless in the way it requires head support.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Yes, Maestros and Turboboosters would be great. The Cosco Pronto requires a headrest or tall seatback, so it would not work in a van without headrests.

ETA: oops, I see I am late to the party. That's what I get for searching all over for the manual and then posting without checking for new posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC