Coccoro and infant insert

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
My manual says that the infant insert must be used with a child under 15lbs, but I thought I read somewhere that Vera said it could be removed as long as the harness was at or below the shoulders. Rocket is 11lbs and I much prefer the fit without the insert. Anyone know for sure if I can take it out?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I read it as you couldn't use it after 15 pounds, not that it had to be used until 15 pounds.

Wendy

Laurette

My box says "Infant insert must be used up to 22 lbs." But there is some confusion about that...

rachelandtyke

My manual says:

* Infant insert MUST be used for infants less than 15 lbs

* Discontinue use of the infant insert when child weighs more than 20 lbs or when shoulder harness becomes too short to fit infant

Cryssy Jane

My manual last time I checked says infant insert must be used to 15lbs optional to 20lbs. I'll see if I can find the page.

ETA: oops PP beat me to it

rachelandtyke

So my interpretation was that it is required up to 15 lbs and optional from 15-20 lbs, although it does make it sound like you are supposed to use it as long as straps still fit child properly up to 20 lbs, which isn't as optional . . .

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I read it as you couldn't use it after 15 pounds, not that it had to be used until 15 pounds.

Wendy

On page 54 of the manual, it says "infant insert MUST be used for infants less than 15 lbs." It also says to discontinue use when child reaches 20 lbs. or when the insert becomes too short to fit the infant.

Hmm, I was thinking about switching over to our Coccoro, but now I may wait - I'm not sure that DD2 is 15 lbs. yet, and I don't know that I want to use the infant insert for an 8MO.

ETA: Oops, looks like others beat me to it. That's what I get for looking up the manual online. ;)

Last edited:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Vera has said, and it may be worth an e-mail to her that as long as the lowest slots are at least even w/ baby's shoulders you don't have to use the insert. This was brought up before as several of us have had lower weight, older kids who looked ridiculous w/ the insert in but weren't 15#. This was also mentioned when we commented on the CCO video w/ the ffing child still using the insert.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks. I knew I had seen it somewhere that it wasn't required. Laine could have used it to 15 pounds, but she looked squished.

Wendy

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Olivia fit well w/out the padding at 6 wks old. I have no idea about before then, lol. She was 9.5# then.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Olivia fit well w/out the padding at 6 wks old. I have no idea about before then, lol. She was 9.5# then.

This is what I noticed with Rocket, too, except he's 11lbs at 6 weeks. For some reason the head part on the insert just cocks his head a little awkwardly. He's definitely over the bottom slots without it though. My manual does say it MUST be used under 15lbs, but I think I'll get confirmation from Vera before I actually take it out.

Chiisai

I am interested, too. We are not using the coccoro because the insert aggravates dds reflux. She's 5 months old but only 12 1/2 lbs. If we can use it without the insert I'll be thrilled!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC