Coccoros?

robbertbobbert

As I mentioned in a previous thread, my sister is having triplets and we're looking into seats for them. She's going to start out with 3 Keyfits (which my parents already bought) and possibly an extra set of bases so they can switch between cars easily. She is still interested in doing convertibles once they're all off monitors, and likes the idea of coccoros or radians.

She told me she can't decide whether she loves the look of the coccoros or hates it. I was wondering if anyone had any real-life pictures of them installed or with kids in them. She still hasn't seen them in real life since she's on bedrest now.

Anyone have any pictures/links/suggestions/tips about coccoros?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Here are some photos. I have more, better ones, somewhere, but not on Photobucket, apparently.

1-year-old in it:
IMGP3363.jpg

6-month-old on plane:
photo.jpg

Uh...4 months old?
IMGP2835.jpg

Two weeks old:
0409091547.jpg

Installed in a car. (The cover was pulled back, which makes it look scrunchy. It's not usually like that.)
IMGP2444.jpg

As for Coccoro or Radian: They're both great for three-across, but they can both be finicky.

The Radian will last way longer than the Coccoro. It is immensely taller. Because of that, though, it takes up more front-to-back space which can be an issue in some cars, especially with infants who still need a 45-degree angle.

What car does your sister drive?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can see in my siggy my daughter in her Coccoro. They didn't have the cute colors I wanted when I was ordering it, but my husband wanted black anyway to match his interior, so it's fine.

It's a neat seat, and fun, and tiny, but it can be tricky in some ways to install. Overall I'd say it's probably a six, with 10 being the easiest and 1 being a terrible install. Using the lap and shoulder belt in my car it's easy. Takes me about two minutes. In my husband's car with the seatbelt it's about the same. With LATCH it takes quite a bit of tweaking and moving this way and that to get the last of the slack out, and I've seen a couple of posts about the same issue with either lap belts only or LATCH. The lap belt in my car worked pretty well.

The angle is easy to get adjusted for babies, depending on their age. And it's a very easy seat to use. Super lightweight, which is nice (it's our spare/travel seat).

Wendy

robbertbobbert

I used to know exactly what they both drive, but both she and her husband JUST got new cars. I think she has a 2010 Honda Pilot and he has a Jetta, not sure on the year. Probably an 08 or newer.

Thanks for the photos! In that first one is she wearing a Hanna Andersson set? I have pictures of ME in car seats wearing an outfit that looks just like that :)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, yes, it's Hanna Andersson. And it coordinates with the seat. :p

The last photo I posted is a 2004 Pilot. (I know they redesigned it in...2009?, so their body style will be a little different.)

The Pilot has a nice wide back seat, so it's easy to get three-across of nearly anything. However, the front-to-back room is actually very small. I could easily fit seats in our Prius that were tight or impossible in the Pilot. The Coccoro is fantastic in there and actually took up less space than our infant seat.

I haven't tried a Radian in there (though I'm sure others have), but I can't imagine it fitting well. A 2010 Pilot will have advanced airbags, so nothing can touch the front passenger seat as it might throw off the airbag sensors. So that's something to keep in mind.

robbertbobbert

Thanks for the info on the space issue!

Does anyone know which (if any) stores have Radians and/or Coccoros on the shelves in the Seattle area? (Wendy's from Seattle, right?)

We're all in love with the colors on the coccoros, but my sister is INSISTING on getting 3 different colors, which her DH says would make him nauseous:)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't think one should be allowed to purchase three Coccoros UNLESS they are all different colors. That's part of the fun.

I can't help you with the Seattle question, though I would definitely recommend buying/borrowing one to make sure it works before buying all three. Maybe Wendy or another tech can help, since it is a "different" seat.

I can install the Coccoro in my Pilot in less than a minute, but it does require some belt-twisting and finnessing. I also use the recline block, which is available for free from Combi, but you have to call them to get it. It installs fine without it, but I found in the Pilot it gives it a bit more stability.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I haven't seen the Coccoro in a store at all, though I have one that you guys can try out. However, I only have one, so there's no way to see how well it works with others. Crystal has another, though, and we could probably tag team for a bit and see how two work.

The Radians you can find at Merry Go Round in Bellevue. They have an XTSL. The cool thing about the Radians is that they're all the same size. So if you try that one out and decide the Radians are perfect, but the 65 would work better, or the cover on an 80SL is much better, then you already know that they fit, and you can go online and order.

Wendy

firemomof3

I've installed Radians in my girlfriend's 2010 Pilot quite easily. I couldn't get better than a 40 degree angle rf but it fits fine in the middle & outboard.

robbertbobbert

Great thanks! I'll ask her what she wants to do tomorrow.

And the color combos she's been talking about are pink-blue-orange, green-blue-pink or orange-pink-green. She's having two girls and a boy:)

What's the difference between all the Radians? I know the weight/heights are different, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of the different models? This is all really confusing when you're first getting into it!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The differences in the Radians:
Radian 65: Rear faces to 40 pounds, forward faces to 65, 17.5" top slots.
Radian 80: Rear faces to 40 pounds, forward faces to 80, 17.5" top slots.
Radian XT: Rear faces to 40 pounds, forward faces to 80, 17.5" top slots, headwings.
Radian 65SL: Rear faces to 40, forward faces to 65, 17.5" top slots.
Radian 80SL: Rear faces to 45, forward faces to 80, 17.5" top slots.
Radian XTSL: Rear faces to 45, forward faces to 80, 17.5" top slots, headwings.

The infant padding, which comes in the 80, XT, 80SL, and XTSL makes a newborn fit well. You can purchase it separately from Sunshine Kids for the 65 and 65SL. All six seats are the same size.

Wendy

Splash

The orange will match nothing. It's kraft mac and cheese orange, not pretty peach. I like mine, but you couldn't pair it with anything.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I have to disagree with Splash. I think the orange looks great with the green, and not bad with pink or blue.

arly1983

Don't pay attention to the age of the FFing child at the end of the video but otherwise it should give your sister and idea of the colors and the looks of the seat:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFmpEv8afv8&feature=PlayList&p=7E6F260991C2D558&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=61"]YouTube- Combi Coccoro Convertible Car Seat[/ame]

Cryssy Jane

Oo I'm Crystal! I have one in mint blue. Merry go round use to carry them in store, but I don't know if they still do. They do have radians though.

robbertbobbert

Thanks for all the info! I'm going up to Bellevue to see my aunt next weekend and then to see my sister in Seattle (I'm in Tacoma) and I'll take my aunt to Merry Go Round! I've only been there once, so I'm excited to go back!

And thanks for the video, I knew I'd seen one somewhere but I couldn't remember where it was though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC