Best alternative to milk?

SPJ&E

Pacey has been sick with a stomach virus for about a week now, so he hasn't had any milk in that time. You all might remember me mentioning the rash that he keeps around his mouth...it's gone. You can still see where it was, but it looks SO much better than it has in such a long time. He started getting the rash around 10 months old...coincidentally when I started giving him regular milk.

He never had a problem with regular formula or milk products...just milk. He doesn't get sick or anything...just keeps a rash around his mouth. What does that mean exactly? Does he probably just have a sensitivity to milk? Should I make him an appt. to see his doctor and see what he says?

What can I give him as an alternative to milk? I know there is soy milk and rice milk...other than that, I have no idea. What is the best thing to give him? What about taste...what's the best?

If you made it this far, thank you!

Last edited:
ADS

CrabbyBunchX3

Same thing that happened with my DS and his facial rash.
I started giving him soy and he's been fine, no more rash or snotty nose.
I just buy the original flavor. First time I gave it to him he chugged it down and asked for more...can't taste that bad!

SPJ&E

Silk? Is that what you get? I know nothing about it, lol...I'm sure that's terribly obvious!

arly1983

Yep, we used Silk soy milk, the vanilla or original. Then we found out Jackson was allergic to soy so we switched to rice. The doctor told me to use Prosobe2 or Isomil2 untill Jackson was two so he could get all his vitamins and fat but that after two I could switch to rice or soy milk and use a multi-vitamin. Might have just been my doc though. (BTW, my son will not drink reg milk now. He spits it back out ;))

didymama

before you jump on the soy milk bandwagon please read up on soy. i know that there is stuff on weston A Price website. really not the best stuff for you. you could also try raw milk if legal in your state. realmilk.org has info. since it is not processed it retains a far higher amount on nutients and the proper balance of other stuff. you would be amazed at just how pasturization turns food into junk. you could also try kefir, i don't know much about it, but i know it is a great probiotic source.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
didymama said:
before you jump on the soy milk bandwagon please read up on soy. i know that there is stuff on weston A Price website. really not the best stuff for you. you could also try raw milk if legal in your state. realmilk.org has info. since it is not processed it retains a far higher amount on nutients and the proper balance of other stuff. you would be amazed at just how pasturization turns food into junk. you could also try kefir, i don't know much about it, but i know it is a great probiotic source.

Ditto! Try reading http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html Our pediatrician (who is totally on board with raw milk :p ) said she'd recommend rice milk over soy...

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
didymama said:
WOW another WAP mom!!!!

Definitely! My copy of Nourishing Traditions is tattered, stained with food, and my 'bible'... :D It makes so much sense, doesn't it - eating what our ancestors ate before all of the modern diseseases came about from our modern foods?!? Anyway, yes, we are die-hard WAP people...:D

skaterbabs

The best beverage alternative to milk is water. Milk is a food, not a beverage. Starting him now on water creates a healthy habit for the future.

That said, we use rice milk for drinking and cereal, and limit the amount anyone drinks beause it's expensive (although cheaper than organic cow's milk) and high in sugar.

chelle80

Just throwing another suggestion out there, but have you tried Lactaid or Daiey Ease? It is milk without the lactose. Dakota kept a rash around his mouth when he was started on regular milk, but his doc said he wasn't allergic to it because, like Pacey, he never had a problem with regular formula or milk products. Kaleb was lactose intollerent when he was born and when he went off formula he was put on lactaid. I ran out of regular milk one week and had to give Dakota some lactaid. In that week his rash went away.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Sorry to pipe in hear about raw milk again - I really don't want to make anyone feel like what they've chosen for their family is wrong... :eek: .... but lactose requires the enzyme lactase to digest it. Raw milk (whether cow's milk, goat's milk, mother's milk) contains the lactase. However, it is killed off during pasteurization. That's one reason so many people have trouble with pasteurized milk.

If you can't get raw milk or don't want to get it, then you can also try taking digestive enzymes with your milk... :)

lynsgirl

Sorry to pipe in hear about raw milk again - I really don't want to make anyone feel like what they've chosen for their family is wrong... :eek: .... but lactose requires the enzyme lactase to digest it. Raw milk (whether cow's milk, goat's milk, mother's milk) contains the lactase. However, it is killed off during pasteurization. That's one reason so many people have trouble with pasteurized milk.

If you can't get raw milk or don't want to get it, then you can also try taking digestive enzymes with your milk... :)

Ditto to all that Maria has mentioned and also the other PP on this issue. Ds2 cannot have dairy and had rice milk for quite some time. I tried making something for the whole family that only had a probably 1/2 cup of Lactaid milk in it to see if it would help him and he was sick the entire night. He can have raw dairy w/no problems, though. I also second the Weston A. Price recommendation :D . HTH and I'm glad you found out what was causing his rash! It's so hard sometimes with our kids to know what or why or how or whatever is causing things lol. Like a never-ending merry-go-round at times :eek:

Anyway, just wanted to echo the others w/our pasteurized-dairy issues.

Last edited:

scatterbunny

We're doing no dairy right now, considering raw dairy in the future. Right now Hayley drinks almond milk and really likes it. She hated the vanilla Silk soy milk and I always worried about soy anyway, so we tried almond and she likes it, so we'll stick with that for now.

Hayley had a rash around her mouth, too, I posted about it awhile ago, and it's gone now. I didn't even think about it being connected to milk.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Soy can have negative effects on our hormones, so you don't want to do too much of it, with a boy, especially.

I'm a huge fan of almond milk... it even has fiber and vitamin E out the wazoo :).

Casein is the milk protein that can cause the allergic symptoms (our immune systems attack proteins, that causes rashes and inflamation), so read for casein on other products to avoid (non dairy creamer is, ironically, loaded with it).

(didn't read any responses, so sorry if I'm just repeating)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The best beverage alternative to milk is water. Milk is a food, not a beverage. Starting him now on water creates a healthy habit for the future.

That said, we use rice milk for drinking and cereal, and limit the amount anyone drinks beause it's expensive (although cheaper than organic cow's milk) and high in sugar.

My kids have never really liked milk...the dairy board's harping about how GREAT! milk is has made me feel guilty to some extent, but my kids are addicted to the water dispenser on the fridge, and are also remarkably healthy, so I should knock off worrying :)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I agree with Julie, but I do think that the casein is affected/altered by homogenization. I've had NAET testing done to show that I had issues with casein from pasteurized/homogenized milk but not from raw milk. And I find that to be true IRL.

For some folks, the issue is the lactose. For others, casein. And not only does the type of casein molecule differ between goats, cows, humans, buffalos, etc, but each type of cow (Jersey, Holstein, etc) has different variations of casein. It gets oh so complicated!!!

However, there are some folks who still cannot tolerate casein - that's true. From what I've researched, it depends alot on ancestry...? But if someone is not opposed to trying raw milk before giving up dairy, I would highly suggest it - I think some folks would be surprised at how much better their body tolerates it in it's natural, unaltered state :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I agree with Julie, but I do think that the casein is affected/altered by homogenization. I've had NAET testing done to show that I had issues with casein from pasteurized/homogenized milk but not from raw milk. And I find that to be true IRL.

For some folks, the issue is the lactose. For others, casein. And not only does the type of casein molecule differ between goats, cows, humans, buffalos, etc, but each type of cow (Jersey, Holstein, etc) has different variations of casein. It gets oh so complicated!!!

However, there are some folks who still cannot tolerate casein - that's true. From what I've researched, it depends alot on ancestry...? But if someone is not opposed to trying raw milk before giving up dairy, I would highly suggest it - I think some folks would be surprised at how much better their body tolerates it in it's natural, unaltered state :)

yeah, I've read some of the same stuff :D I bet it's NOT as bad if it comes with all it's other proper ingredients (ie, raw milk with all it's associated enzymes intact). I was just so excited to learn about casein being the bugaboo in the immune system I had to share, lol.

:D

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
joolsplus3 said:
yeah, I've read some of the same stuff :D I bet it's NOT as bad if it comes with all it's other proper ingredients (ie, raw milk with all it's associated enzymes intact). I was just so excited to learn about casein being the bugaboo in the immune system I had to share, lol.

:D

:)

SPJ&E

Thank you all so much for your responses! I think I'm more confused now than I was, LOL!

What is the difference in soy milk and rice milk? I remember hearing/reading that soy might not be good for you before, but didn't look much into it. Why is it not good?

What should I try FIRST?? Lactaid, then rice, then soy, or???

I would be fine just giving him water (he loves it), but he does love milk and wants it a lot. So I'd like to have some "milk" for him when he does want it. On a regular basis, he just has about 3 cups a day, the rest is usually water...so he doesn't drink a "ton" of it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC