So the Radian is NOT going in my car

glockchick

I tried. Laurie (BrendansMommy) tried. She read the manual backwards and forwards and pulled out all the tricks. It just doesn't fit. Such a shame too because it would leave so much room for all the other kids. :(

Laurie is super sweet and it was fun to play carseats with her. lol She even un-installed her carseats to let me try them in my car. :love:

Her Nautilus fit beautifully in the 3rd row and I can put Kaleigh in one of those. Abigail only has about a half inch to an inch left to grow in the Nautilus so she'll be staying in her PW. She also doesn't like the way the belt felt on her neck.

Soooo.... I guess Kaleigh's getting a Nautilus and Gabriel's getting an Oober or something.

Laurie suggested trying a MyRide or a True Fit for CJ to keep him rear facing and fitting in my freaky truck.

Any other ideas?

ADS

glockchick

99 suburban. Middle seats. Leather. Even with 3 twists of the stalk, the buckle is in the belt path on the seat. There's a lot of compression of the seat.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
It is ok for the buckle to be completely in the belt path. Done that in a burb before.

Mae

Buckle can be inside the belt path. It has to be either completely in or completely out. :)

ETA- Judi is fast like a ninja.

glockchick

I know she checked the manual. On the rf-ing install, it was just in far enough to keep it staying tight (locking latch-plate). It wouldn't stay tight enough to keep it twisted. On the ff-ing.... I think we only tried that one twisted so maybe it would work, but I kinda don't think so. It's like the buckles are just a bit too short or too long. Stupid truck. :p I so wanted it to work.

Ninja Judi. LOL!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ah Ninja! Something I am not much with my crappy internet!

Did one person hold the twisted stalk while kneeling in the seat and the other person pull the seat belt straight through the belt path on the side opposite of the buckle?

Mae

Did one person hold the twisted stalk while kneeling in the seat and the other person pull the seat belt straight through the belt path on the side opposite of the buckle?

You can also do this yourself. Sit on the seat next to the seating position that the Radian is installed in, then place your feet along the beltpath (after you've threaded the seatbelt back through) and pull the tail (or shoulder portion) from the opposite side of the buckle. So basically you're laying down and pulling the seatbelt with your feet braced against the belt path. That's what I had to do tonight installing a Radian. It works pretty well, actually.

Mae

So I'm guessing that there was just too much movement? Or was it too big front to back? You never really specified why it wouldn't work.

glockchick

Oh. Sorry. :eek: We couldn't get a tight install. Not even close. Way too much movement. I should have taken pics...

DahliaRW

The complete air might be an option. And it's decently narrow. You could use pool noodles under it to adjust the recline between 30-45 degrees and use the angle that gives you the best install with your belts.

glockchick

I so want this seat to work. It gives the bigger kids so much room. And CJ has infinite leg room. And it'd be easier to get CJ in with the low sides. And, and, and.....

It'd be stupid to order them and just hope I can get them to work despite proof otherwise, huh? :p

Last edited:

BrendansMommy

Hey, all!

We tried it a million different ways. There is no way the Radian will work in the seating position she needs it. With the combo of kids Shanna has and the types of seatbelts she has, there just aren't many options for switching around seating positions.

The buckle just hits it the seat in an odd place so it kind of sits on the corner of the beltpath regardless of how many times (1-3) you twist it. As a result, we couldn't get the latchplate to lay flat so that it would lock, so it would loosen whenever we let up on the seat, which would allow the buckle to untwist, all of which irrelevant, I suppose, since the buckle was on the corner of the beltpath anyway. So it wouldn't go either fully in the belt path or out of the belt path. We even tried Judi/Nanny's method. If you can make any sense of how I just explained that, kudos to you. ;)

It was fun playing musical carseats with Shanna, though. :D

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think a CA might be a good choice, then. You can vary the angle much more so you should be able to get buckle into belt path if needed, and it's taller than the Radian, and almost as narrow.

glockchick

I played with the CA in Target and I really liked it except for that continuous harness and the chest clip. I'm spoiled by the easy Britax chest clips. I wish they were interchangeable.

Do you think a CA LX would be better so I could skip the pool noodles?

I just ordered a Nautilus for Kaleigh. The Daisy one from WM. I'll use the $10 gift card to get Gabriel a Harmony booster. He wants a tadpole oober but I'd rather try the cheap seat first. With the gift card, it will be virtually free. :D If nothing else, it will make a good back up seat. :thumbsup:

I should go by TRU and see if the have the CA. I could use the 20% printable coupon. Anyone know if TRU carries it? We don't have a BRU. I'm hesitant to order it until I know it fits.

Mae

I should go by TRU and see if the have the CA. I could use the 20% printable coupon. Anyone know if TRU carries it? We don't have a BRU. I'm hesitant to order it until I know it fits.

My TRU and BRU have the CA. :thumbsup:

jeno

Senior Community Member
My Mom has a 2000 Suburban with leather and I have such a difficult time with that seating position and just about every seat I've owned. I always tackle it thinking somehow its gotta work and I'll try some new trick but to no avail. That position is just tough.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC