replacing seat belts in my Chevy

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, help me figure this out. I have now broken both outboard light weight locking latchplates (outboard) in my 2002 Chevy Malibu. One was while installing a key fit base. The other, I have no clue. One does not lock, period. The other was locking, so I have no idea when/how it broke.

I called a Chevy dealer and they want $86 for each seat belt, and $200 for install. Is this it? Do I have to pay if I don't want to use locking clips? (or seats with lock offs) I am a little miffed that this would happen. If I have to pay, I will probably have to wait 6 months, for money and such.

ADS

Dillipop

I don't think Chevy warranties their seatbelts past the traditional warranty period. I am thinking that if you don't want to use locking clips or lockoffs, this would be your only option, unless you can find a private garage to do it for less.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Call GM and ask what the warranty period is for seat belts. 10 years is pretty normal for most brands, so you may still be able to get it covered.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Oh, and the first place I called said I should have switchable retractors, not locking latchplates.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have not done anything. I am using seats with lock offs in the outboard positions. Nothing will be done until late October at the earliest.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC