European seats?

mydogteaser

My brother is in the Navy and he is stationed in Italy. He and his wife are expecting their first baby in December. My SIL told me today that she is excited to buy a European seat because then when they get back to the States their baby will have something unique. (Her words, not mine.) Is it legal to use a European car seat in the States?

Heidi

ADS

InternationalMama

No, it's not legal to use a European car seat in the US. It may be legal if you are visiting (sometimes people say you can use one if you're visiting for 2 weeks or less, but I've never seen this verified), but it is definitely not legal if you live here.

It is legal, however, for people in the US military to use US seats while living overseas and a US seat will almost certainly be cheaper, in addition to being better for travel. (Almost all EU infant seats cannot be used with a lap belt only and most are not approved for use in aircraft. None are FAA-approved (obviously).)

mydogteaser

That's what I thought! She tried to tell me that it is legal to use them in the U.S. if they meet the same safety standards. (Which made me laugh since the U.S. isn't exactly on par with Europe with child restraint laws and standards.) I will pass on the info to her. Thanks!

Heidi

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Mainland Europe we're beyond them in terms of carseats (we rear face and harness longer, they require boosters longer). Scandinavia we're catching up to.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC