I don't want to turn her!

TiaxMarie

I've been weighing DD quite regularly since she hit 30lbs because all of our spare seats are 35lb rear-facing seats. Mine is 45, so I know I'm all set there, but I'm really nervous about having to turn her around.

I just weighed her and with just panties on she was 33.5lbs, so with shoes, clothes, and everything, she's probably really close to 35lbs now.

She rides in either a True Fit or Marathon in DH's car, TF in my dad's truck, and Marathon in my mom's car. All of them having been waiting and waiting for me to turn her in their vehicles.

She won't be 3 until November.

Please reassure me that it's okay shes FF in those cars since it's only once a month or so in each.

ADS

Maedze

Not everyone will agree with me on this point, but for a two year old, I would be weighing fully dressed before each ride and only turning if absolutely necessary. If fully dressed with shoes right before the ride she weighs 34.3 pounds, I'd keep it rear facing.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Since she rides in the other vehicles so infrequently, can you just install your seat in those vehicles when needed?

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
Not everyone will agree with me on this point, but for a two year old, I would be weighing fully dressed before each ride and only turning if absolutely necessary. If fully dressed with shoes right before the ride she weighs 34.3 pounds, I'd keep it rear facing.

:yeahthat: and start saving.

Having to do the same thing with my DD now. She rides in a MA in my dads truck a few times a week. She weighed 33.5 lbs last time, with only a tank top and diaper on. She won't be 3 until January so I've been stashing away every penny and watching for sales on 40lb seats. I'm not comfortable with my DD FFing anytime soon. So even if we have to switch out the XTSL or MR65 I'll do it.

jess71903

Ambassador
See, I think for rare rides, it's fine. It wasn't too long ago that you would have had no choice but to turn her when she hit 35lbs.

TiaxMarie

Thanks for all the replies. I wish I'd jumped on the $80 MyRides! But, I didn't.

DH just took over the finances, so I'll have to check with him and see if we could budget in one seat to move around to the other 3 vehicles. Being as huge and pregnant as I am, I can't physically move the Radian very easily, but the MyRide would be easier. :thumbsup:

Spam

Ya do what you can do. If you have to turn it's not the end of the world. A just turned two yesterday and I've had ff in my mom's car for the last couple of months. He rides there infrequently and I'm not up for moving my seat every time. She's still safe, rfing is safER but she's safe in a properly installed top tethered ff seat that is used correctly every time. As pp mentioned it wasn't that long ago that 35lbs was the cutoff on every option. If i had the $ to buy new seats that would rf longer sure i would. I went with TFs hoping he would slow down, but he didn't.

ctbcleveland

Thanks for all the replies. I wish I'd jumped on the $80 MyRides! But, I didn't.

The MyRides are shorter than your Radian, so even if you'd gotten one, you might not have bought yourself that much more time compared to your true-fits.

My just 3 yr old. 33 lb son is in a variety of seats, one of which is FF today, two of which will be turned FF very shortly, and the last couple will be RF for a long time. You do the best you can and have already done much better than most parents do.

DahliaRW

I wouldn't sweat it. Ds2 has been ffing in others cars since 2 1/2 b/c he outgrew our spare seats by height (scenera) or weight (older marathon).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC