Crashed Coccoro

crunchierthanthou

Worried about the CCO slipping loose in a crash? Don't be.

Dh and dd were rear-ended today. Fortunately, they are fine, although I exped dh will be very sore over these next few days. They were stopped at a light on a 45 mph road and a lady hit them going at least 35. I went to get the seat out tonight and while slightly loose (which could be accounted for by webbing stretch of the seatbelt), it was still what I would call an acceptable install. :thumbsup:

In fact, the most worrisome aspect of the crash is that dh's headrest ended up in dd's lap. :eek: He smacked it quite hard, so it was in place when they were hit, but dd was holding on to the prongs for dear life when he finally got the rear door open to get her out.

note for the EMTs, I can hadly fault him for removing his toddler from the pile of glass that was her seat, but I did let him know that it's best to leave them strapped in until assessed. Although, only the PD responded...

from the side -
0630101737a.jpg

and the back (obviously taken much later) -
0630102122.jpg

I actually wonder if it was the shell of her seat that pushed his headrest out.

0630102123b-1.jpg

This is definitely not the position his seat was in when he was driving. The driver's seat is expectedly wobbly in addition to being so reclined. The top of her seat usually puzzled between the seatback and headrest of the front seat.

and um, ignore my reflections(s). I actually borrowed a vehicle to go get the seats out tonight. The body shop is in a less than great area of town and the car was essentially open with the broken window (it happened after hours, so the tow truck just dropped it in front). I didn't want the covers stolen. I mean, I didn't want someone to take the crashed seats and use them. :p

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, wow, that's awful. But great that no one was too badly hurt, of course. (I saw the other thread about your DH's neck--hopefully that's just temporary.)

That's crazy about the headrest! :eek:

You should send the photos to Vera.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I think your theory of her seat pushing the headrest out is a good one. Headrests normally don't need the button to be pushed to raise the height, just to lower. So they are super easy to pull out.

When I was rear-ended a few years ago, my seat did the same thing (I was passenger though) but it was quite a bit more reclined at the end than your DH's. I was all confuzzled and couldn't figure out why I felt like I was laying down!

DahliaRW

If the seat was full of glass I wouldn't save the covers. I think it'd be next to impossible to be sure you got all the glass out.

Glad everyone is ok.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wow! Glad to hear everyone is OK :). I hope your dh is feeling OK tomorrow and isn't too sore. Did the woman who hit them have a good excuse for doing so?

urchin_grey

Oh wow, glad everyone is ok! :eek: The vehicle seemed to fare well too, eh? I was expecting to see it all smashed in.

HappyMommy

Thanks for posting this. Always nice to see a car seat performing well during a real life crash:). Glad to hear that dh and dd are fine. I guess that means you will get to buy a new seat soon...Maybe a new Britax??:)

crunchierthanthou

Oh wow, glad everyone is ok! :eek: The vehicle seemed to fare well too, eh? I was expecting to see it all smashed in.

both the car and the seat performed well. The Subie is totalled. :( but the bumper and crumple zones worked just as they should. Even dh's seat did what it was supposed to (minus the top popping off. good to note for future installs). He's pretty sore today.

The lady who hit them just didn't stop. Her statement on the report says something like, "I saw the traffic too late. I'm little shook up that I can't explain why it happened". :confused: She was in a Santa Fe and had a 2 year old and 5 month old with her.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yikes! Nothing useful to say, just to let you know I read it and am glad all is well (besides the totaled car and sore DH, of course...)

monstah

:eek: So glad everyone is OK. Do you know how the other kids fared? Best wishes your DH recovers fully and quickly! :(

My headrest theory is that when the CCO was cocooning, it caught under the headrest and popped it out. Maybe that's what kept the install so tight? Resistance from the headrest stopped the CCO from rebounding all the way back. Hmmm....

crunchierthanthou

:eek: So glad everyone is OK. Do you know how the other kids fared? Best wishes your DH recovers fully and quickly! :(

My headrest theory is that when the CCO was cocooning, it caught under the headrest and popped it out. Maybe that's what kept the install so tight? Resistance from the headrest stopped the CCO from rebounding all the way back. Hmmm....

I don't know about the other kids. I'm assuming okay because dh didn't mention it and no EMTs responded.

there couldn't have been too much resistance from the headrest. Dh is 6'4", so it was already on the tallest position.

Maedze

I've always been vaguely perturbed by the ease with which a head rest can be pulled out in some vehicles.

Does your DH recall if the head rest was still there by the time his head made contact during the initial movement toward the rear of the vehicle?

BudgieStew

That's great that everyone was fine besides the car of course.
What was the damage on the other car?

Just out of curiosity I checked DH Subaru and the front headrest can only be raised/removed/lowered if you move a switch. Not the same as it has been in our Fords where you press a button in.
If it is the same setup in your Subaru perhaps the switch got moved during the impact.

crunchierthanthou

That's great that everyone was fine besides the car of course.
What was the damage on the other car?

Just out of curiosity I checked DH Subaru and the front headrest can only be raised/removed/lowered if you move a switch. Not the same as it has been in our Fords where you press a button in.
If it is the same setup in your Subaru perhaps the switch got moved during the impact.

no, ours was a 2001 and had a button. I can't remember if it moved up or could be removed without pushing it, though.

I don't know too much about the other car, other than that the airbags deployed.

monstah

I was driving today and the more I thought about my "theory" the more I realized it doesn't make much sense. :p

I am very relieved your CCO stayed put but wish you didn't have to find out. :( Are you going to replace it with another one?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC