Car seat test

I took my peanut to the local walmart and tested some of their car seats. I'm hoping to get the pics uploaded any day now. If you all would post pics as well that would be awesome!!:thumbsup:

ADS

urchin_grey

Anything you want to see in particular...? Are you carseat shopping for the 4 year old mentioned in your siggy? We could probably give you some good recommendations based on his size.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Also, try using the search function for anything specific you'd like. Or you can ask a specific question.

Wendy

Maedze

Because you're a new poster, people may be hesitant about sharing personal photographs out of context when asked (we've had some pretty creepy visitors in the past.)

You can definitely search the site for user-supplied photographs, and if you have specific questions feel free to ask them.

I note you have a 40 pound child in an 'old Cosco seat' according to your signature. Are you using that seat in harnessed mode? If you are, the seat is outgrown and you can't use it like that any more. If you're using it in booster mode, know that it makes a very bad booster and should be replaced with a better fitting one.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Were you shopping for new seats for him? A 4y/40# child really shouldn't be in backless boosters, and as a PP pointed out, has probably outgrown the Cosco combo seat.

Your relationship to this child -- I'm guessing from the siggy that you are not the mom or the dad. Do you have permission to post his pictures online?

I'm definantly not his mom, I'm actually his babysitter. Yes I have permission to post his pics online, I already asked. I no that he shouldn't be in a backless booster, I've already mentioned it and they just tell me that the seat belt locks when the back is on it and it becomes a pain to unlock it every time. I was waiting for him to outgrow the seat by height before changing him to booster mode. I would absolutely LOVE to turn him back rf, or get him a better seat, but have no money for it.:(

I went to my local Wal-Mart with Ian on Saturday, and I tested out their car seats that they had in stock.

14aa1ih.jpg

Safety First Vantage Point High Back Booster

nee43n.jpg

Evenflo Chase DLX Booster

33060qd.jpg

Evenflo High back booster carseat

2vn11kw.jpg

Safety First Complete Air Convertible carseat

15ygh06.jpg

Safety First All in One Convertible carseat

2w54tmw.jpg

zx1s8m.jpg

Graco Nautilus Convertible carseat

Proof of how poorly Ian fits in booster seats

34sngnp.jpg

Pronto Booster seat

ev9zs3.jpg

Big Kid Deluxe Booster seat

Ian really enjoyed testing all the car seats, he really liked the CA. He said he liked that he could go to sleep and his head didn't fall down. His favorite, as well as mine, was by far the GN.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That's a Cosco High Back booster, the pink one, not an Evenflo.

Glad he liked the Nautilus.

Other than the Nautilus and Complete Air (and the three in one, if it was a 50 pound version), he's outgrown every harness he was in and would need to use those seats as boosters, or not at all.

Wendy

Yeah I just saw that it was a cosco not a evenflo. The three in one is indeed a 50lb one. What is the reason really if the seat has a higher booster weight limit, that he can't just stay in the harness till he reaches the height requirement??

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Because the harness could rip out of the shell, ejecting him. The harness has its own weight limit that MUST be followed. And if it's 40 pounds it's 40.0 pounds, not 40.5 pounds. And that weight is with clothes and shoes, not naked weight.

And most four year olds have reached the height limit of Cosco harnesses. Most have long before they're four. When the shoulders go over the top slots OR the tips of the ears go above the shell (or at the 40 pound weight limit) is when the seat is outgrown. At 40 pounds it's irrelevant, he needs to move to the seat in booster mode in your car.

Would his parents buy him an Evenflo Maestro? It's $75 and can harness to 50 pounds with 18" top slots. Maybe you and they can split the cost, and move the seat back and forth between cars?

Wendy

I really wish they would, but they are pretty bull headed when it comes to the boosters that they have. They got them on sale for $30 each. He is actually pretty small for a 4 almost 5 year old. He didn't hit 3ft till about 6 months ago. Has only been 40lbs for about a week. If only there was some way to get a good seat for a very cheap price!!:rolleyes:

Mae

If only there was some way to get a good seat for a very cheap price!!:rolleyes:

Would his parents buy him an Evenflo Maestro? It's $75 and can harness to 50 pounds with 18" top slots. Maybe you and they can split the cost, and move the seat back and forth between cars?

Wendy

Like Wendy said, the Evenflo Maestro is a very good, but still cheap, seat. It has pretty high top slots at 18" and has a 50lb weight limit.

If he has that much room left in the Nautilus (GN), he'll most likely still fit the Maestro. Keep in mind that the amount of space kids have in car seats fluctate from when they're sitting on the floor versus when they're actually installed. Even still, I'm willing to say that he'll still have room left in the Maestro before his shoulders go over the top slot.

Mae

Well then just keep in mind that a properly used booster is still safe.

-Does the lap belt fit properly over his hips? The seatbelt should lay low on his hips, across the hip bones, not over the soft belly.
-Does the shoulder portion fit him well? The seatbelt should go across the middle of his chest -- not too close to his neck but not falling off his shoulder.
-Does he sit in position the entire time? Make sure he doesn't wiggle around, which would cause the seatbelt to fall out of position. If he's a wiggle worm and you truely can't afford a harnessed seat, lock the seatbelt. This will keep him into the proper position.
-Never use a lap only belt with a booster. Always be sure to use a lap/shoulder belt.
-Make sure it's not expired.
-Be sure you are putting the seatbelt in the correct spot, too. A lot of parents like to put the lap portion of the seatbelt over top the arm rests on the booster. You actually want the lap portion to go in front of the arm rests. I could further explain better if you specified what booster you are using. Posting a picture (with permission) of him sitting in the seatbelt could also show us if he fits the booster properly or not.

If you follow those steps, he is still safe. The most important thing is that the seatbelt fits him and he doesn't wiggle around.

Mae

If he is 40lbs, you need to take him out of the harness. If the harness has a 40lb limit, you stop at 40lbs. Not 40.2lbs. Simple as pie.

Like I said, a properly used booster is a lot safer than an improperly used harnessed seat. If you are using a harness beyond it's weight limit, it's being improperly used.

There's a weight limit for a reason, and that reason is most likely because it will not hold a child's body beyond the weight limit, thus the child could possibly be ejected from the car seat, so in reality -- the child is secured by nothing.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If he's going to stay in the backless with his parents, at least encourage them to use the seatbelt adjuster strap that should have come with his booster. That'll help position the belt properly off his neck.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC