talk to me about the maxi cosi mico infant carseat

Cryssy Jane

A friend of mine is interested in this seat and is asking my opinion. I've never seen one so I don't feel that my opinion is validated in any way. Spam me!

Ummm details... baby has yet to be born, due at the beginning of august. Only kid in the car. They drive a 2002 honda civic.

She's interested in this one specifically (because it's pink :rolleyes:) and she's expecting a girl.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Chrissy has one. It is basically a dorel product. It has a puzzle bucket. I don't love the base.

love-pink

not sure what info you want but i had one and got rid of it before i actually had dd :eek: i only wanted it to fit on my quinny zapp. i have pics of both in my album :thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Chrissy has one. It is basically a dorel product. It has a puzzle bucket. I don't love the base.

The new ones don't have puzzle buckles and they have the push-on IMMI connectors on the base now - at least in Canada.

The Mico:

- PITA to install in many vehicles both with LATCH and seatbelt. It is the only seat that I tell somebody they absolutely must try due to the widespread incompatibility issues.
- Handle can be left up in the car
- Low bottom harness slots - will fit pretty much any 5lb baby
- Interior seems narrow, and top slot is a ways below the top of the shell. Known for having short harness straps - though Dorel will send a replacement harness.
- Not too heavy, handle relatively comfortable
- Cover is well padded and usually cotton materials that make it more breathable
- The handle to release the seat from the base is on the base itself - slightly awkward IMO.

The biggest downfall to the Mico is the install issues. If it will install well in her vehicle, it's a nice enough seat. I don't think it's worth the price point it sells at in Canada (not sure what the price is in the US,) but if she's wanting to get a Quinny Buzz or a Maxi Cosi Foray stroller it's her only choice - and both strollers do have features that make them nice. Again not for the price, but they're nice and parents who have those strollers love them. (I work part time at a BRU, so get feedback on the strollers quite a bit that way.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've never installed one, but from what others are posting it sounds like the install might be reminiscent of the Peg Perego seats, which I hate.

They're much cuter than the PP seats though, and allow the handle up at least. ;)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've never installed one, but from what others are posting it sounds like the install might be reminiscent of the Peg Perego seats, which I hate.

They're much cuter than the PP seats though, and allow the handle up at least. ;)

The problem with a Peg is the narrow base where the belt path is. The Mico has a funny shaped belt path underneath on the side of the belt path, and a lot of times it makes a buckle jam against it so you end up with a physically impossible to tighten further seat. And the same problem occurs with LATCH if the recline adjustment isn't needed because the actual adjuster mechanism for the LATCH strap jams against the shell of the base making it physically impossible to tighten enough.

Cryssy Jane

Yeah I've talked her out of it. I found out the real reason she wanted it was because she saw an older model, pink with hot pink dots? on craigslist for $35...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The problem with a Peg is the narrow base where the belt path is. The Mico has a funny shaped belt path underneath on the side of the belt path, and a lot of times it makes a buckle jam against it so you end up with a physically impossible to tighten further seat. And the same problem occurs with LATCH if the recline adjustment isn't needed because the actual adjuster mechanism for the LATCH strap jams against the shell of the base making it physically impossible to tighten enough.

Ooh fun. I've had similar problems with the LATCH on a PP seat, though. And the problem is not actually the narrowness but the positioning of the belt path, for me. There are some cars that it is impossible or almost impossible to get it tight with the seatbelt because of the routing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC