? about Britax Chaperone

mavmakmar

I have a Britax Chaperone for the new baby that is due Aug. 4th I was reading through the manual and it has a part that says

Not to use on shopping carts

Is this a Suggestion like they suggest not sitting on soft surfaces or is there a real reason NOT to use it in a shopping cart?

I havent had to use a Infant seat in 6 years and the graco I had then clicked right on the shopping cart just fine

Thanks for any advice/info you have for me :)

ADS

Cryssy Jane

All manufactures say do not use on shopping carts. The force of gravity on a baby carrier on a shopping cart is not good. People do it anyways but no manufacture technically allows it.

featherhead

I have a Britax Chaperone for the new baby that is due Aug. 4th I was reading through the manual and it has a part that says

Not to use on shopping carts

Is this a Suggestion like they suggest not sitting on soft surfaces or is there a real reason NOT to use it in a shopping cart?

I havent had to use a Infant seat in 6 years and the graco I had then clicked right on the shopping cart just fine

Thanks for any advice/info you have for me :)

Using an infant seat on the top of a shopping cart actually makes the shopping cart top heavy. The whole cart can tip over if you are not very careful. Someone on this board saw that happen to another mother once (this was quite a while back, can't remember who it was). With my first daughter I was not aware of the recommendation to not do that, so I did. I too had a Graco that "snapped" on. With my second daughter I bought a Chicco Keyfit. It does not snap on at all, it doesn't even fit in the front part of most carts, so even if I wanted to put it up there, I couldn't. I always either put her into a baby carrier (ring sling, Sleepywrap, or Ergo), or put the carseat into the bottom of the cart (when I wasn't actually needing to fill my cart with groceries).

JerseyGirl'sMama

Even if the manufacturer said it is ok to do, you shouldn't. Featherhead was correct, it makes the already top heavy shopping cart even more top heavy and their is a good possibility that it can tip over sending your baby to the ground.

I wear my babies in a wrap and it works out great. It is recommended that babies do not spend a lot of time in their infant seats outside of the vehicle. Studies show babies oxygeniation saturation levels drop while in them. For quick errands you can put the carrier in the lower part of the cart if you wish.

mavmakmar

I was unaware of the top heavy problem.....It is OK to use in the bottom/back of cart then just not hooking/clicking to the front seat part of cart.

Thank you all for your quick responses :)

My other 3 kids where always clicked to the seat/front of cart in there bucket seats while I shopped OOOPPPS ;) I wont do this, This time around :)

amy&girls

I'm one of those people who used the seat on the top of the cart, all the time. I had an old Evenflo seat, and it clicked right onto the top. Well, one day, I was leaving Walmart with my baby on top, and hit a bump, and the whole cart tipped over. The seat came unclicked and off fell my little one, to the ground. Luckily for me, she was still strapped in, and the shape of the bucket kept her protected. She didn't have a scratch on her. I haven't done it since. I have a SS1 now, and I know that it doesn't fit on top b/c my sister tried it with hers with my nephew. I am one of those people who looked like a "freak" when grocery shopping when my littlest was in the bucket. She rode in the front of the cart in her bucket if she was sleeping, or in the sling if she was awake, and I pulled the cart behind me, while pushing the one full of groceries... LOL!!! I wouldn't put it on top the seat if I were you.

mavmakmar

I'm one of those people who used the seat on the top of the cart, all the time. I had an old Evenflo seat, and it clicked right onto the top. Well, one day, I was leaving Walmart with my baby on top, and hit a bump, and the whole cart tipped over. The seat came unclicked and off fell my little one, to the ground. Luckily for me, she was still strapped in, and the shape of the bucket kept her protected. She didn't have a scratch on her. I haven't done it since. I have a SS1 now, and I know that it doesn't fit on top b/c my sister tried it with hers with my nephew. I am one of those people who looked like a "freak" when grocery shopping when my littlest was in the bucket. She rode in the front of the cart in her bucket if she was sleeping, or in the sling if she was awake, and I pulled the cart behind me, while pushing the one full of groceries... LOL!!! I wouldn't put it on top the seat if I were you.

Thank you for your story, Im glad your little one wasnt hurt by the accident.

I wont be putting my little guy up front for sure!! He will either be carried *sling* or put into the bottom/back of cart. I wont take the chance of him getting hurt......another plus besides safety having him in the back of cart Strangers will be less likely to touch him :) LOL

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I once saw a baby in the top of a cart. Mom was within arm's reach, but a kid running with a cart came down the aisle, crashed into the cart, before mom could stop it, it flipped, because it was top heavy, baby's head hit the floor and the cart came down on top. Baby was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance with a probable concussion and possible spinal injury. :( Never a safe thing to do!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC