Techs! If you have a local Safety Town....

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Please consider volunteering!

I've had a fantastic experience over the last few weeks.

I taught on car safety day and was able to reach 65 children and their families, which is almost all of the children in our district going into pre-k and kindergarten (I think someone said that there were 17 eligible kids who didn't enroll in Safety Town).

I've been able to get to know some police officers (I moved here last summer and haven't had an opportunity before this), and through that process they've learned a lot about CPS and have been talking about it more at work, the Chief asked me if I could make a quick reference sheet for everyone on the force about the new booster law, and how to identify if someone is breaking the current laws as they are written (I'm going to get some assistance from the local Safe Kids on that). I'm thrilled they are open to learning. The Safety Town coordinator has been especially curious, he's so happy I'm involved in the process, he admitted that what he's previously taught wasn't comprehensive enough and may have been dangerous - on Day 1 he gave me a seat belt positioning device from Safety 1st to use in my lesson if I wished, and I thanked him. During the lesson I showed it to the kids, and explained how unsafe it was, and why, and told them that it didn't meet the requirements for a booster for the law. Afterward he told me he recommends them all the time, and that he has a lot of phone calls to make and homes to stop at now so he can correct his mistake.

It's just been a good experience all around, and on an unrelated subject I also asked him if he could try to explain the uniform differences between a police officer and a security guard - police are good, yes, but often security guards have criminal records and could be a real danger to kids, he said he had never thought to do that before and he'll include it in the lesson plans from now on.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ADS

ctbcleveland

Gypsy, I have a nice card that summarizes ohio law for law enforcement that I printed for my hubby's department. Let me find it and link it for you.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
What is safety town?

It is, apparently, an Ohio thing. I'd never heard of it until moving here three years ago. The entering Kindergartners can go for free. It lasts about seven days (I think it used to last 10). My son did not go. Some of his friends have gone. They enjoyed it. The parents thought of it as free child care and that is why they went.

mydogteaser

Ds took Safety Town a few weeks ago. They were supposed to cover car safety, but did not. :( I was disappointed because I was curious as to how the teachers would react to ds still being harnessed. It's certainly not the norm around here. There were kids in his three-year-old pre-school class in boosters and he was the only one harnessed last year in his four-year-old class. All of my friends have their kids in boosters by four.

Heidi

ctbcleveland

Yep! It is a PDF (adobe file). PM me with your email address. It has all the child-restraint laws and the tickets that can be written for violation of them.

I also added a second link above to get you there if you want to try that first.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Yep! It is a PDF (adobe file). PM me with your email address. It has all the child-restraint laws and the tickets that can be written for violation of them.

I also added a second link above to get you there if you want to try that first.

The second link worked for me, thanks!

I just printed it and I'll give it to him tomorrow when I drop off ds!

Mags462

They do safety town here in OK - although my kids have yet to participate. I am going to pursue certification as soon as DS3 isn't EBF and will contact Safety Town organizers if i am certified by next summer. Good info! Thanks! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC