Question Handle Position on Graco Infants Seats - New Information?

ctbcleveland

I had thought in the Lifesavers or ABC thread, there was a comment that Graco was going to share why handle position mattered. I looked but did not see an update on the topic.

I find it interesting because all but one handle position is allowable - and I can't figure out why that one could cause any more of a problem than the others. It is also happens to be the handle position I'd be most likely to use, if I could use any of them.

Links if anyone has them, please?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There's one position for the Safeseat/Snugride32/Snugride35, but two positions for the Snugride 22 that are not allowed. The SR35 doesn't allow B, the SR22 doesn't allow B&C. I have to assume that those positions are specifically named that they failed during testing. My guess is the angle of impact during the rebound causes damage and injury to the dummy. That's the only thing I can think of.

Wendy

ctbcleveland

This was the quote from the other post on the topic:

Graco stressed correct handle position for infant carriers. They said this is for a reason. Good to hear. We will find why.

JOII posted it from a blog called Safety Squad that was doing Twitter Updates.

Thanks Wendy - I have a Safeseat 1 (Snugride 32/35), didn't realize there was a difference with the Snugride 22.

fyrfightermomma

I had heard once that B wasn't allowed because it's right behind the child's head. In an older larger child (or a child not properly harnessed with a tight harness) the child could ramp up thus striking their head on the handle right above them. Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure. But it's what I heard and what I've always believed. Not sure 100% though. I have no clue where I even heard it anymore!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I had heard once that B wasn't allowed because it's right behind the child's head. In an older larger child (or a child not properly harnessed with a tight harness) the child could ramp up thus striking their head on the handle right above them. Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure. But it's what I heard and what I've always believed. Not sure 100% though. I have no clue where I even heard it anymore!

B isn't above their head like that. That's C. B is halfway between there and A, which is the carry position.

I have no idea why B is there, personally. The Keyfits and onBoards have three positions, and that seems to work jut fine. I think everyone has three positions except Graco,come to think of it.

Wendy

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I've always wondered what the heck the point of position B on the original SnugRide is. I agree that 3 handle positions is all that you really need.

fyrfightermomma

B isn't above their head like that. That's C. B is halfway between there and A, which is the carry position.

I have no idea why B is there, personally. The Keyfits and onBoards have three positions, and that seems to work jut fine. I think everyone has three positions except Graco,come to think of it.

Wendy

Oops. So just take my post and switch all the letters :p

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've always wondered what the heck the point of position B on the original SnugRide is. I agree that 3 handle positions is all that you really need.

When I had one I found it difficult to get the child in and out with the handle all the way up. I used B to load the kid in and out, and then would snap it right back into A. :)

amy&girls

So A is the carry position and C is the one all the way down and B is the mid-one on a Safeseat? I'm confused. I always thought I was supposed to put the handle down.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So A is the carry position and C is the one all the way down and B is the mid-one on a Safeseat? I'm confused. I always thought I was supposed to put the handle down.

A is the carry position, C is at the top of the shell, D is down behind the shell, and B is between A and C. A, C, or D is fine on a Safeseat.

Wendy

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Here are the instructions for the SafeSeat/SnugRide 35 (1st pic) and the SnugRide 22 (2nd pic).

SafeSeathandlepositions.jpg

SnugRidehandlepositions.jpg

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
The handle position issue reminds me a lot of the Turbo screws issue. I can't imagine most parents actually know which position the handle should be in. Seems life would be easier if they got rid of the positions that are not safe while the car is in motion.

canadiangie

Most parents nearly fall to the floor when I explain that position C on their Snugride 22 isn't permitted for use while in a moving vehicle.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I think the reason why the "not allowed" handle positions are not allowed is simple. If the seat rebounds with the handle in "A" position, it will hit the rear seat at a pretty much right angle. All the force would be straight down. If it was in the B/BC positions, it will hit at an angle and the force would be down and toward the top of the seat and would shear off the handle at the pivot point.

aeormsby

I would also guess that part of the reason 'B' is not allowed is so you don't pick it up and try to carry it in that position. I know with our Snugride I put it up to position B and thought it was in A and it was very unbalanced when I picked it up. (which wouldn't be a problem safety wise with a properly harnessed kid, but I'm sure there are plenty of kids who could potentially fall out with it at that angle :( ).

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I would also guess that part of the reason 'B' is not allowed is so you don't pick it up and try to carry it in that position. I know with our Snugride I put it up to position B and thought it was in A and it was very unbalanced when I picked it up. (which wouldn't be a problem safety wise with a properly harnessed kid, but I'm sure there are plenty of kids who could potentially fall out with it at that angle :( ).

That's the way I explain it to parents at checks--it's the dump-out position. It's just awkward to carry a baby in that particular handle position. I also show them that it's the position directly above the baby's head vertically so they get that they shouldn't use it.

featherhead

That's the way I explain it to parents at checks--it's the dump-out position. It's just awkward to carry a baby in that particular handle position. I also show them that it's the position directly above the baby's head vertically so they get that they shouldn't use it.

I have seen parents carry it in the B position (for a snugride 22) all the time. You'd think they'd realize their kid is almost tipping out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC