leather radian? where can i get it?

cryway903

I just read the thread on the leather Monterey and saw where someone posted about a pleather (what exactly is pleather?) Radian? Where can I find it? My 7 mo is allergic to polyester, right now he's riding in a Marathon with one of the old denim covers that is 100% cotton. The seat is not expired, the cover came off an old Marathon from someone else ( I called britax and was told its OK to use it). I actually have a spare Marathon for when the one he's in expires (in about 14 mos) that has about 2.5 yrs left. I will be replacing these marathons when they expire or he reaches the rf weight limit (33lbs). I have no idea what I will do then because all the car seats I can find are polyester (that's some nasty stuff by the way). A leather Radian sounds real good right about now. Even in Texas in the middle of the summer;-) but what is pleather? Is it polyester made to feel like leather?

ADS

skitle1802

Radian Guardian Cover for 65SL and 80SL

Per SKJP:
For institutional use; durable vinyl replacement cover for Radian65SL and Radian80SL features thick batting for soft comfort. Waterproof surface wipes clean easily but can also be hand washed, line dried. The perfect solution for use in emergency vehicles. This cover does not include infant support cushions

scariestone

How about a ventura xt? Those are cotton. I think if your LO has issues with polyester he would almost certainly have issues with vinyl.

cryway903

I haven't heard of the Ventura xt. What brand is it? I dont want to put him in a vinyl seat so it looks like that covers out. My baby is very allergic to polyester. If he touches it for just a couple minutes he looks like he's been burned. Then he has little bumps for about a week.

Splash

I would get a 100% cotton cover custom made for whatever seat you have. Just make sure the slots exactly line up and it's no thicker than the original. You wouldn't have the flame retardant, but sounds like that would actually be good news for you.

Last edited:

cryway903

I could make a carseat cover but my understanding is that isn't allowed and isn't safe. Am I wrong? I did line his snug ride with receiving blankets because I had to do something until he fit the britax. Then I had to move him from snug ride because of weight but he's in that iffy area on the Marathon. Some days he seems tall enough some days he seems to short. He wears pretty much the same kind of diapers and clothes every trip. Go figure.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Aftermarket covers are not allowed; however, sometimes extreme circumstances require parents to make such decisions. However, since you have a Marathon, you could look for one of the cotton covers (denim or Freedom).

Jennifer mom to my 7

I can double check the tags on my ventura radian to see if the inner fabric is 100% cotton. Then, I am wondering if you could do 100% cotton fabric on the outside, kwim? Maybe just laying it, or if necessary, tacking it in place so that no polyester touches your baby?

leighi123

My ds is allergic to carseat covers (VERY allergic to flame retardant stuff b/c he has severe chemical sensitivites), so I had to make him a cover for his seat. BUT what I did was use wool interlock (which is thinner than an average t-shirt), and I put elastic at the top and 2 long slits for the straps to go though. I spread it out over the sides of the seat.
It doesnt interfere more than an extra t-shirt would but covers all of the carseat cover (ds is often in his seat with no clothes on!), wool is flame retardant naturally, and is also a good 'barrier' fabric to protect him from whats under it.

I take it off the seat when I park the car b/c I dont want anyone to think aftermarket covers are o.k!

In the winter, I dress him in long pants, long socks, long shirt, knit fabric hat, and put playsilks under his head area so his skin wont touch anywhere on the seat (and playsilks again are super thin and a good 'barrier')

cryway903

Leigh why not just toss a blanket over it instead of going to so much trouble to put the cover on and off? Then no one could see it. Just my unsolicited .02

I have the old denim cover for the Marathon. The one that is 100% cotton. According to britax the newer denim covers are cotton/polyester blend. It is working great except that because its old and been washed (twice by me) the elastic is coming out of the casing in several places. Not sure it will last 2.5 yrs, especially since that's where DS likes to have his diaper explosions :-( I'm hoping I can find another one. DS seems to do OK as long as there is a barrier between him and the polyester. So a cotton or wool lining would be fine. I like the idea of tacking material to the original cover though. If I tack it in all the same places as the original cover it shouldn't move around to much. I also like the idea of wool for its flame retardent capabilities. Any ideas where I can get it by the yard? Thank you all for the suggestions. I was grasping at straws trying to find an acceptable safe solution when I happened on someone with the denim cover off an expired seat. I even called britax to try to buy a non poly cover and tried a childrens medical supply for a special needs car seat made without poly. All with no luck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC