Safety 1st's Car Seat Video

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
This is an interview with the Safety 1st Squad's safety person about car seats. To be fair, there is some good info. She did stress extended rear-facing.

But some of it? Uh.... what?

Pool noodles to get the seat tight? Booster at 40 lbs? Loved the photo of the girl playing in the front seat. 1 OR 20?

Out of curiosity, which manual (if any) says that those seats can't go next to each other--the car or the car seat's?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rwq27XmHtc&feature=youtube_gdata"]YouTube- SD Living june 2010.wmv[/ame]

ADS

judesmommy

I'm actually impressed with the fact that she said that rear facing is safer and that you can rear face up to forty pounds.

The 1 OR 20 was probably just a slip up, but, still....

I think the part where she is changing the complete air from rear facing to forward facing and doesn't have to change where the latch straps are is bad. And the guy saying "idiot proof... but again its NICE if you read the manual." is also bad.

The part where she slides the foam in and out because she couldn't get it tight without it.... ridiculous.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Okay, ummm, what? I'm totally confused. Can you really not have those 2 seats next to each other? And what with the noodles to tighten up the install? And she latched the "toddler" seat in, but didn't tighten it? Do you think she was nervous or felt hurried and forgot stuff or it just didn't come out right?

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
:eek: :eek: and just to repeat :eek:

To give her some credit, I've had a camera stuck in my face a couple of times and truly, unless you are a highly charismatic person who can think at the speed of light, what comes out of your mouth can tend to be worthless dribble. I'm sure she walked away from that interview kicking herself.

OTOH, she should have had her key points (she got the rf one down :thumbsup:) and hit those regardless of what was happening.

Who else takes the time to heat up a knife to cut a noodle? I've never heard of that. We just twist them at events when we're in a hurry.

tiggercat

Wow. That is some install on the FF CA. No tether, just pop the anchors on the hooks and that's it? No mention of how to put the kids in the seats?

I wonder if she's talking about the middle seat not having it's own designated LATCH anchors but maybe the vehicle allows borrowing, and since she installed the infant seat with the LATCH anchors, she couldn't borrow for the middle?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Good thought about center LATCH. God forbid you use a seatbelt.

And I also completely understand being nervous and running out of time, but Safety 1st posted this on their Facebook like, "Come look at this video!" if I were them, I don't think I'd be publicizing it...

Cryssy Jane

I commented on this on the video actually :whistle:... she responded back that she only had a couple of minutes and that it was a VERY brief spot.

JerseyGirl'sMama

'never put an infant seat next to a toddler seat' :confused:

'rear-facing is 75% safer than forward' :confused:

'one year OR 20lbs'

used pool noodles to get a 'tight fit.'

I could go on and on...

swtgi1982

Holy crap! She just pops in the latch and calls it good without tightening it?!?! :eek::thumbsdown:

yea and she never puts the FF foot up, and the whole a 40lb child actually fits in that NB booster yeah right!

oh yea can not use middle seat since there is none! that van has outboard bucket seats

the booster with "A lap belt" ummmmmmm yea no mention of lap and shoulder belts necessary

Ladybugmomma

I thought pool noodles were a good option to have the proper recline and get it tight? It has been awhile for me. Why is this not so?

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I thought pool noodles were a good option to have the proper recline and get it tight? It has been awhile for me. Why is this not so?

Pool noodles are used to get a proper recline angle; however, you don't use them to help get a tight installation. You must also check the carseat manual to see if a noodle is allowed when the recline foot is being used on the base of the infant seat. I know with Graco it's allowed, but I'm not sure it is with Dorel infant seats and IIRC, the foot is partly out in this video.

lovinwaves

I was thinking maybe she was nervous or caught off guard, but Kimberlee has been a spokesperson for quite some time now. SHE should be able to handle an interview like that. Me? Yeah, I'd totally bomb. You don't see me being a nationally known "Safety Person" though and in front of a camera for a reason :whistle:

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I was thinking maybe she was nervous or caught off guard, but Kimberlee has been a spokesperson for quite some time now. SHE should be able to handle an interview like that. Me? Yeah, I'd totally bomb. You don't see me being a nationally known "Safety Person" though and in front of a camera for a reason :whistle:

:p Me too. I have to practice and practice and practice and I still screw up, lol! We had some media training back in May and a local tv producer who was previously in the NYC market said over and over again that it's up to "you" (us) to steer the interview back to where we want it. If the reporter is taking it OT or off our message, just say, "I'm here to . . ." or "rf is safer" or whatever. If I had been doing that interview, I would have told the reporter it was too much info to cover and to cover only rf seats or only convertible seats or only boosters.

I just watched it again and something else she did I thought was good was she pointed out all the labels on the seats. :thumbsup: Sometimes we get wrapped up in talking at the parents we forget to do that and it's a good visual.

I agree that touching onn all seats (but skipping the info for the 5step test for seat belt usage) was a too much for this short interview. It would've been better to have worked out a car seat safety series w/ the news station to individually touch on seats. She got the basic of info put out on installation only (nothing on use/harnesses) & we all know that for some parents that was more info to head in the right direction then they had before watching it.

So yes, some flub ups that drive all of us car seat crazies crazy, but she also got a little bit of good stuff out there.

And yeah, the bullets w/ the pic of the little girl sitting in the front seat playing w/ the steering wheel was sooo not a good choice. Why not a child in a restraint properly being used?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC