Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

locking seat belt when using a booster seat?

Can anyone tell me if it is necessary to lock the seat belt when your child is in a booster seat? I've always locked him in it and was told by another parent that it is not necessary to lock it manually. I referred back to the owners manual on the booster and my auto manual and there is no mention to lock it when using a booster seat (there is reference to locking the seat belt when installing a car seat though). My concern is that his weight (52 lbs) may not be enough to cause the seat belt to lock in the event of an accident.

booster seat is a Graco Turbo Booster
    car is a 2003 Ford Expedition

Thanks for any advice!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: locking seat belt when using a booster seat?

It will lock. I can lock the belt just by giving it a quick tug. Certainly 52 pounds plus the weight of the booster is enough. However, you can lock it if you'd like. There's no negative to it that I know of. We locked the belt on Piper for a while.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Re: locking seat belt when using a booster seat?

You can lock it if you want, but it's certainly not necessary. My 5 yo will lock her belt when she's tired and wants to take a nap, but otherwise we don't lock it for her.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)