Hmmmm, skjp makes mighty-tite and radian?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How does it make sense that a car seat manufacturer can also make and market after market products that are damaging and dangerous? :confused:

ADS

southpawboston

because there are profits to be made, and many companies don't make their products because of an underlying philosophy or passion, it's just a piece of market share... isn't graco is the same way? don't they make accessories that should not be used with carseats? welcome to the world of bizness. :(

honestly though, that's interesting... i didn't know SK make the MT. i know they make that sunshade that someone else linked to recently... so they're definitely in the accessories market as well. :(

Splash

Yep, they make the Mighty Tite and expressly forbid its use with the Radian. Even though it's "crash tested" and "conforms to standards"... I wonder why they won't let us use it with their impossible to install seat....

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
How does it make sense that a car seat manufacturer can also make and market after market products that are damaging and dangerous? :confused:

The MT was their flagship product like, 5-6 years ago. Then they started making other little gems of aftermarket brilliance...then the inventor of the Radian couldn't find anyone else to produce his seat in a factory, except Sunshine Kids...so that's how SKJP makes the Radian :).

Splash, Russ told someone the MT is ok on the RN.... it's not? That would probably fix all of it's installation issues, lol...if only cars allowed it and it were, say, legal in all states (it's not).

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
How can Russ approve the use of an aftermarket product for use on his seat??? Especially when we're telling folks not to use it? It's the device that's worrisome, not the device/seat compatibility. :rolleyes: It seems like I've seen him say some odd things are okay that were either not in the manual or stated differently in the manual... I'm not sure that I'd believe the MT was okay...

Anyway, I had the same concern about a company making/selling both products. I posted about it a month or two ago and got the same response: profit. Still doesn't sit right with me (I guess that's why I'm in the "people" field and not the "business" field... :p) , but - since the seat was impossible to install in FOUR vehicles I tried, then it's not an issue for us anyway.

Last edited:

arly1983

You guys are making me scared. I have the radian in a Honda CRV FF and it rocksolid (I think it is because of those recling seats) We are supposed to get a van in the next few months. I can see DH now when I am trying to install the radian in every van we look at "But Honey, we can't get this one, the carseat will not fit" ;)
That bothers me if Russ says things that go against the manual. I would get that in writing and noterized.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
How can Russ approve the use of an aftermarket product for use on his seat??? Especially when we're telling folks not to use it? It's the device that's worrisome, not the device/seat compatibility. :rolleyes: It seems like I've seen him say some odd things are okay that were either not in the manual or stated differently in the manual... I'm not sure that I'd believe the MT was okay...

Anyway, I had the same concern about a company making/selling both products. I posted about it a month or two ago and got the same response: profit. Still doesn't sit right with me (I guess that's why I'm in the "people" field and not the "business" field... :p) , but - since the seat was impossible to install in FOUR vehicles I tried, then it's not an issue for us anyway.

How could he NOT say it's ok, since the same company sells both, though? Graco has all manner of aftermarket stuff they have crash tested (and while there's no rules for testing the products, the seat itself still does fine).

There's a whole new movement afoot not to make techs say all aftermarket products are bad, and to find a way to get NHTSA to approve them or at least have some kind of standard. Seriously, seat mats and mylar mirrors and mighty tites are really not dangerous (yes, I said that out loud), unless they cloud up the real issue which is the loosely installed seats and floppy loose harnesses and kids in the wrong size seat for their age and weight. Now, seatbelt adjusters instead of boosters? Eeee-villl, and any company selling those gut crushers needs to be stopped, I don't know how they can be on the market...

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How could he NOT say it's ok, since the same company sells both, though? Graco has all manner of aftermarket stuff they have crash tested (and while there's no rules for testing the products, the seat itself still does fine).

There's a whole new movement afoot not to make techs say all aftermarket products are bad, and to find a way to get NHTSA to approve them or at least have some kind of standard. Seriously, seat mats and mylar mirrors and mighty tites are really not dangerous (yes, I said that out loud), unless they cloud up the real issue which is the loosely installed seats and floppy loose harnesses and kids in the wrong size seat for their age and weight. Now, seatbelt adjusters instead of boosters? Eeee-villl, and any company selling those gut crushers needs to be stopped, I don't know how they can be on the market...

I thought mighty tite was bad because of the stress it put on the seatbelt from over-tightening? Or is that just it - people over tighten to try and get a solid install with a seat that otherwise wouldn't install well in a car?

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
snowbird25ca said:
I thought mighty tite was bad because of the stress it put on the seatbelt from over-tightening? Or is that just it - people over tighten to try and get a solid install with a seat that otherwise wouldn't install well in a car?

We used a MT for a couple of years and loved it. But when I was convinced it was dangerous, we took it out. When going through my CPS Tech class, I had the fire chief check out our seatbelt that had had the MT on it: he said the webbing was totally shocked... :( He showed it to the other CPS Tech students to show them the damage a MT can do to the belt...

So now when we put Nolan in our Wrangler, we have to put him on the other side behind the driver...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If you use a mighty tite properly it isn't *really* supposed to stress everything all to heck...people just get all addicted to that ratcheted down feeling and it's so easy to overdo it (I own one, I know how fun it is to *crank* that belt down...muahahaha, the power... lol). But it's a simple ratchet mechanism that people have been using to tie down much heavier things safely for decades (longer?) it's really not going to cause a carseat to fail a crash test catastrophically (again when used properly.. all bets are off if people don't use a locking clip or belt shortening clip when necessary and instead use an MT...)

:)

lynsgirl

Yes, and Dorel (cough) has no shortage of after-market "accessories," either. The travel accessories baby aisles at WM and Target are excellent exhibits of this ;). And I do agree that the seatbelt adjustors are awful and I wish they could all just be burned - ugh.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I'm almost positive that in my other inbox, I have an email from SKJP authorizing the use of their baby headrest, mighty-tite, under mat protector, etc with the Radian.

I'll have to find the email. But like I said, I'm almost positive.

It bugs me. I love my Radian, but I hate supporting such a company.

mommy4girls

Senior Community Member
I'm almost positive that in my other inbox, I have an email from SKJP authorizing the use of their baby headrest, mighty-tite, under mat protector, etc with the Radian.

I'll have to find the email. But like I said, I'm almost positive.

It bugs me. I love my Radian, but I hate supporting such a company.

Same here. I adore my Radian and so does Ilana (and Kendra for that matter on the off chance we don't have Ilana ;) ). But I don't like supporting the company that makes the Mighty Tite. I've had the unfortunate task of trying to take a super ratchetted one off a seatbelt and it was HORRIBLE (and our local super car seat instructor hero - AKA Jim :p - managed to get it off). The seatbelt was RUINED and it was all the Mighty Tite. BUT... on the other hand I like the Radian:confused:

broken4u05

I always kinda questioned them. I just does not seem like a good thing to use. I am glad i didnt use it. And i love my radian

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC