Just for fun - a brainteaser of sorts

glockchick

If I was starting fresh, what would tell me to get?

I drive a '99 Suburban and that means lap belts only in the center positions. 6 kids. 3 or 4 in car seats.

12 and 11 year old are fine without car seats. 9 year old is fine in the 3rd row but I'd prefer him in something because he's such a skinny little fart. The catch there is that any booster put him over the seats headrests.

9 year old - maybe 45-50 lbs, small for his age, but not ridiculously small ;)
6 year old - 40lbs, 15" torso
3 years 10 months old - 35 lbs
2 years 4 months - 25 lbs

Dh drives an 05? GMC envoy. The two little kids ride with him daily, occasionally the 6 year old.

How would you position the kids and in which seats in the suburban, and what seats for dh's car?

Last edited:
ADS

glockchick

Nobody wants to play? :( That's ok. I can play by myself. ;)

Ok, if money, size, and install issues were no object...

In car...
- Gabriel would be in an Oober backless booster. Maybe some light weight backed booster with good leg support if he'd fit. No latched so nothing heavy.
- Abigail would be harnessed in a Frontier 85.
- Kaleigh would either be harnessed in a Frontier 85 or rf-ing in a RadianXTSL
- Caleb would be rear facing in something. lol Not sure what. Probably a Radian XTSL.

In dh's....
Kaleigh would be either ffing in a frontier or rfing in a Radian XTSL.
CJ would be rfing in a Radian XTSL.

Maybe CA's.... don't care much for the fabric on those though...

urchin_grey

Okay, I think you mostly said everything I was going to say anyway. LOL

9yo - Have you tried a Lite Rider? Those seem relatively low. Or what about a Frontier in booster mode? (I'd be more worried about the lack of head support than the weight of the seat.)

6yo - Definitely agree on the Frontier, for the taller booster as much as the longer harnessing capabilities.

3yo and 2yo - Agree on the 2 Radians.

Not sure on position. Do you have headrests in all seating positions?

I think I read one of your previous threads about the lap belts and such, but as long as you are able to keep the 2 little ones harnessed, you're good, right? So you've got a good 3 years to save for another vehicle, I'd guess.

glockchick

Headrests on the sides only.

Yes, as long as the little 2 are harnessed I'm good.

The catch is fitting the Frontiers. I can put one in the 2nd row no problem, but the 3rd row is difficult at best. 48" total hip room. :p

I was going to pick up a literider at WM today, but they only had pink. I can just imagine his reaction to that one. rofl

urchin_grey

Headrests on the sides only.

Yes, as long as the little 2 are harnessed I'm good.

The catch is fitting the Frontiers. I can put one in the 2nd row no problem, but the 3rd row is difficult at best. 48" total hip room. :p

I was going to pick up a literider at WM today, but they only had pink. I can just imagine his reaction to that one. rofl

LOL, yeah that might not go over so well for a 9yo boy... :p Hopefully though his ears will be below the top in that one, and even if its just a smidge, it would still be worth it at that price.

Hmm... On the Frontiers... I guess then you'd definitely just have to stick with one (for A) and then pass it down to KG when she outgrows the Radian. Then at that point you'd have the 3 oldest riding in seatbelts, A in a narrow highback if she fits or a backless (she'd be old enough for one by then), KG in the Frontier, and CJ still in a Radian.

glockchick

Or I could put Abi and Kaleigh in the 3rd row in Radians and Gabe in the 2nd row behind the driver in a frontier.... Frontiers would get passed down to the little two when they're outgrown. :whistle:

I'm dying to see what the maui blue cover looks like. I hope it has Hawaiian flowers on it. I'm tired of all the boring covers lately. I want pretty and fun.

Why is it there are NO fun covers for boys anymore? At least girls can get pretty flowers. There absolutely nothing for the boys. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC