Do I really need a double stroller?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Z just turned 2 and G is 3 months. I don't have a double stroller, and haven't found much need for one yet, but I still find myself wanting one. I am lusting over the BJCMiniD and will be able to get one in a couple months if I decide I need one. But, we do have 2 pretty nice single umbrella strollers (Chicco C6? and a Zooper Twist) and a Mac Traveler, so if we all go somewhere, DH can push 1 and I can push the other. G is usually in a sling anyway, so this usually works fine, but after awhile, he gets cranky and hot in the sling and wants to stretch out, and that's when a problem arises if I'm by myself and only have 1 stroller. So, I just don't know. Would it be worth it for the amount of time I would use it? Would it be silly of me to spend that kind of money on a stroller and not use it much? Z walks a lot, but it would be nice to have the option of a seat for him if he wants one and sometimes he gets upset when G is in "his" stroller (he considers all of them to be "his", lol). I just need someone to help me think through this.

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
What about a sit and stand version?

That way you have the capability for 2, but allows them to walk and just sit when needed?

kaysmom

Just marking a spot in the thread since I have a similar situation! DD has always hated her stroller, but now in the last 6 months she loves it. I also have 2 singles (a Graco and a Mac) but I have her a lot on my own and assume I'll have the 2 a lot myself, too so a double would come in handy. But we do baby wear a lot and I don't know if it's worth it to spend the $ when she'll be almost 3. So yep...keeping an eye out here!!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I found that even though I love to baby wear, especially as baby got older (6 months plus) I did "need" a double. At least, I highly preferred having one for the times when I just had too much on my hands and needed them both contained in the stroller.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I have considered a Sit n Stand and a BuggyBoard, but I would like something that will do okay on trails at the park and zoo (I'm not talking hardcore hiking trails here) and still be nice for shopping, museums, aquarium, etc. Also, something that folds up relatively small so that it doesn't take up the whole back end of the van. Other problem with the Sit n Stand and BB is that it would be very nice to be able to "contain" Z sometimes. Today, we went into WM and before I knew it he was all the way across the store in the toy section with me and the 3 older kids running after him. He never even turned around to make sure we were following him and he was very quickly out of my sight. Of course, he went in the cart after that, but at the zoo, museum, etc... that's not an option. So, yes, thinking about it that way, I will need a double, but I am honestly having a hard time accepting the $400 price tag of the BJCMD. That would be, by far, the most I've ever spent on a stroller.

aeormsby

Or get a buggy board for one of your umbrella strollers. My kids are 22 months apart and we used a double for about the first 4 months (it was winter and it was nice to snap the carseat in and be able to keep DD contained and out of the snow). After that we got a nice umbrella & buggy board and I'd either wear DS while DD rode, or DS was in the stroller and DD could hop on the board if she needed a break or we needed to go faster than she could walk.

Spam

I'm wondering the same thing, is it really needed or more of a want. Austin turns 2 tomorrow and the bean won't be here until mid August. I can wear him while he's small especially and in the winter the double wouldn't see much light, only during christmas shopping. I have a contours option stroller that i like to use when they're little so i can see them, and i have a peg gt3 that i love, but it's a beast and an ipo. So dh and i can both push one, but what if i wanted to go alone? I'm eyeing the bjcmicrod which is $200 and so tempting, but i'd have to sell what i have to fund it, plus who *needs* four strollers? Oh, and i have a twin traveller that i purchased for use at my moms when the grandkids are there.. it's older and not in perfect condition but works.

pj2rc

my kids are 26 months apart and very active. DD2 was a summer baby, so we were out quite a bit. I didn't buy a double right away because I didn't think I would need it, but soon realized I did ...... however, after summer/fall it only got used a few times at the mall etc, and a few times the 2nd summer. I would say it is handy and probably needed at times .... but not worth $400 -- it won't get used that much. I would say look for a good deal and buy the a decent stoller, but not top of the line, at the lowest price you can .. kwim.

Niea

My kids are exactly 3 years apart and I didn't think I needed a double stroller, but I did! Now, my oldest is kinda whimpy and whiny and not a good walker, so that could be why. But now at age 5, she is finally outgrowing the need to ride. I bought a Mac Twin Triumph and have been very happy with it. Now it's time to sell, I think.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I would say look for a good deal and buy the a decent stoller, but not top of the line, at the lowest price you can .. kwim.

Any suggestions? We might decide to have another baby, so it might end up being worth the $400, would be a much easier decision if I knew that for sure!

hsjwmom

Get ZephyrBlue's Phil and Ted's w/ doubles kit from swap? Then you have an awesome single AND the option for a second rider. :D

scape1224

I have been tossing this same question around. My youngest turns 2 on August 1st and I am due August 31st with this baby.

We needed a nice single and I ended up getting an awesome deal on a BJCM, I went with the single since I knew that would be used.

I would still love a BJCMD but have a hard time dropping that cash before I know how much it would actually get used.

I wear my babies alot plus it will start getting cold a couple months after the baby arrives and I know we will not be out and about much then. So, I think for now we are holding off.

I do have a Joovy Caboose Sit n Stand but honestly I do not love the thing that much but it is an option. I got it when my oldest two were 3 and 9 months.

christineka

I never needed one. I wore the baby and pushed the toddler or pushed the baby while toddler walked. There have been times that we've had two strollers, but always ended up with an empty one. We borrowed or rented a double for amusement parks.

Lemonade

Mine are 2.5 yrs apart and I STILL gets lots of use out of my Caboose Ultralight. There's no way I could have lived without it. My DS just needs to be contained sometimes - for his safety and my sanity. I'd say within another year I'll be ready to give it up but for now, I still need it.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Get ZephyrBlue's Phil and Ted's w/ doubles kit from swap? Then you have an awesome single AND the option for a second rider. :D

I would love to! Problem is that I don't have the $$$ for it right now. In a couple months I will, but I'm sure someone else will snatch it up before then.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
From what you described as how you'd use it, I think a Maclaren twin might suit your needs just fine. We've taken ours on zoo trails and such and it does fine, though it's not AS nice as our dedicated off-roader.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC