My seat was not buckled!

mayamac

I just got my car windows tinted (btw- I love it and haven't heard DD complaining about the sun! yay!) I took the seats out so the guy could tint the windows and found my RF Radian was not installed- it was only in there by the top tether and leaning on the front seat! I used the selt belt I know I did! I guess DD unbuckled it with her foot? So strange. I wonder how long it was like that? When I put it back in I used the LATCH. Do you think those can accidently come out?

ADS

cryway903

I had that happen to me once. I think the last person riding next to it accidently unbuckled it. I covered the seat belt release with a pillow case. Just sort of tucked it around it. Rock your seat everytime you use it to make sure its latched. I doubt the latch will let go though.

scariestone

DS has unbuckled is radian several times by stepping on the buckle release getting into the seat. When I buckle him in, I give the seat a little shove to make sure it hasn't come undone. Though when it does get unbuckled the belt comes out of the seat but I'm paranoid now. I guess that's not a bad thing.

JerseyGirl'sMama

Yup, that can happen. Scary huh? Glad you noticed.

LATCH is not going to come off quite as easily as the seatbelt, but it is still recommended that you give your seat a quick shake, just like when you check for movement, each ride to make sure. Also, take your seats out once a month or so to clean and inspect them for any damage - you would also discover if it came unbuckled.

ETA: What Radian do you have? What vehicle is it installed in? And how much does the child weigh?

Last edited:

ntrenary

That's happened to me a few times. N sits next to the carseat and she used to accidently unbuckle it when she was unbuckling her own belt. I fixed it by putting a piece of cardboard in front of the button and holding it on w/ the top of a old tube sock.

mayamac

Yup, that can happen. Scary huh? Glad you noticed.

LATCH is not going to come off quite as easily as the seatbelt, but it is still recommended that you give your seat a quick shake, just like when you check for movement, each ride to make sure. Also, take your seats out once a month or so to clean and inspect them for any damage - you would also discover if it came unbuckled.

ETA: What Radian do you have? What vehicle is it installed in? And how much does the child weigh?

yeah- that was scary! I had so idea and I think I would have thought it was snug. I think it is sinking into my seats and was braced on the passenger seat and pulled down tight by the top tether. It really didn't move.

It is a Radian 80SL, 2010 Sonata, and she is 33 pounds. I should be good to go keeping the LATCH forever since it is a super latch and my car is new. I had heard on here that i might get a more upright install with seat belts- that I why I didn't use LATCH from the start.

mayamac

ok- she is in there with the super LATCH, and this morning I noticed her seat was very loose. Now she is lossening it with her foot! The old LATCH could not be loosened like this. What are the tricks for keeping this from happening? or can I switch out the super LATCH and use the regular LATCH off the older radian?

It would be kinda cool if I could swap them and then the older girl can be LATCHed with the super latch and forward so it won't come loose for her, she is getting close to 40 pounds.

(recap: DD1 is 38pounds in a Radian65 FF, DD2 is 33 pounds in a Radian80SL RF)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC