Convertible for a newborn?

Ladybugmomma

I am considering a convertible from the beginning instead of a infant carrier. I have always had a carrier so I need opinions. My kids were 8.12, 9.11, 10, and 9.1 at birth.
I have seen some newborn pictures in myride and a couple others. I would really prefer a britax. I've heard newborns don't fit well in them though. Do you think the new ones will fit? I love the look of the MA70. The seated shoulder lowest slot is 9" whereas the older one is 10.5" Will that make the difference? Will the infant insert make a difference?
The myride is 8" or 8.5" without insert.

Those who have used a convertible instead of a carrier, did you regret it? I tend to wear my baby anyways.

ADS

aeormsby

I don't think anyone can say definitively yes or now for the newer Britax fitting a newborn. I'm sure someone here will be checking them out and getting numbers as soon as they're in the stores. If you have time to wait for more info they do sound promising.

Others that fit newborns are the Truefit, Myride, Radian, Corocco, and I think 2-3 of the Evenflo seats (Triumph Advance, Symphony? & Momentum?)

Evolily

When are you due?

With 9 inch bottom slots, I would be wary about getting it for a newborn unless I was fine with getting a second seat at the last minute. Since no one (that I know of, at least) has actually touched any of the new britax seats I don't think anyone can give you any more advice than that :eek: .

Have you seen the true fit, radian, coccoro, and my ride? I think you might be more than pleased with those :) . Remember, it's not really important how the car seat looks, what is important is that it fits your child, your vehicle, and you can use it properly every time :thumbsup:

Ladybugmomma

When are you due?

With 9 inch bottom slots, I would be wary about getting it for a newborn unless I was fine with getting a second seat at the last minute. Since no one (that I know of, at least) has actually touched any of the new britax seats I don't think anyone can give you any more advice than that :eek: .

Have you seen the true fit, radian, coccoro, and my ride? I think you might be more than pleased with those :) . Remember, it's not really important how the car seat looks, what is important is that it fits your child, your vehicle, and you can use it properly every time :thumbsup:

I'm not due until the end of September.
What measurement are the infants seats? None of my babies have been small enough to use the lowest slot.
The true fit looks comfy, I just can't get The first years out of my head, I could buy it, convince myself I am fine, and most likely I will regret it :(
However I have thought about the Radian. My older DD has the monterey and we love it. I'm having a hard time loving it, I think mainly cause it is just so different looking. The sides seem so low.
I have no idea what the coccoro is. Off to google after.
I just love Britax and it is hard to get past that LOL

Evolily

Different infant seats have different bottom slots, it really depends on what seat you used. The harness needs to be at or below the shoulders in most seats.

Remember, the engineers and designers that make these seats often hop from company to company. Sometimes seats are actually manufactured by more than one company. The main engineer who designed the Radian worked for Britax at one point. The brand name really doesn't ensure safety, it's just a label :) . All of the larger and more established companies (including Britax) have had issues in the past, there is no reason to believe one company is safer than another :thumbsup:

All seats pass the same standards, what matters is whatever seat you buy fits and is used correctly :)

Here's the coccoro http://www.combi-intl.com/Products/Item.aspx?Item=12 it's a good infant seat replacement, but you would need to buy a convertible down the road for most kids to make it to a good forward facing age. The nice thing about the coccoro is you can buy a stroller frame for it, it's good for traveling.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Measurements on infant seats vary widely.

At 9 inches larger or longer-torsoed babies may fit just fine (it does not really depend on weight so much as build.) But it's always good to have a backup when using a seat with slots that high (we brought our third home in a Radian, before they added the memory foam and made the slots 8.5 with it in, and she had a 10 inch torso, but we had the old bucket seat ready in case she did not fit properly.)

Personally, after using 2 bucket seats and one convertible, I'm "converted" to the convertible, and will never buy another bucket seat if I can help it, lol.

Ladybugmomma

Different infant seats have different bottom slots, it really depends on what seat you used. The harness needs to be at or below the shoulders in most seats.

Remember, the engineers and designers that make these seats often hop from company to company. Sometimes seats are actually manufactured by more than one company. The main engineer who designed the Radian worked for Britax at one point. The brand name really doesn't ensure safety, it's just a label :) . All of the larger and more established companies (including Britax) have had issues in the past, there is no reason to believe one company is safer than another :thumbsup:

All seats pass the same standards, what matters is whatever seat you buy fits and is used correctly :)

Here's the coccoro http://www.combi-intl.com/Products/Item.aspx?Item=12 it's a good infant seat replacement, but you would need to buy a convertible down the road for most kids to make it to a good forward facing age. The nice thing about the coccoro is you can buy a stroller frame for it, it's good for traveling.

I know :( You know how you have a fault, you know it, but can't get past it? That's it for me. For me britax is everything, I just feel god having my kids in them. However like I said I do like sunshine kids, I fell in love with the monterey. I would need to play with the radian to be convinced, as it is just a "new" looking kinda seat. It looks more like a booster to me. I'd prefer to be with britax.

Measurements on infant seats vary widely.

At 9 inches larger or longer-torsoed babies may fit just fine (it does not really depend on weight so much as build.) But it's always good to have a backup when using a seat with slots that high (we brought our third home in a Radian, before they added the memory foam and made the slots 8.5 with it in, and she had a 10 inch torso, but we had the old bucket seat ready in case she did not fit properly.)

Personally, after using 2 bucket seats and one convertible, I'm "converted" to the convertible, and will never buy another bucket seat if I can help it, lol.
I am thinking I could borrow a seat from my cousin, no acidents, problem is I dislike it. It is eddie bauer and I just wouldn't ever choose it. But maybe for the first couple of weeks? I wish I knew my kids torso measurements LOL All of my kids have longer torso's and shorter legs. Overall heights were between 22 and 23 1/2 at birth.
I can't wait for someone to get their hands on these new seats.
Ok now I have to know, WHY are you a convertible converter? What did you love about it? Did you ever find it a pita to have to take the baby out every time? I really did most of the time anyways cause my kids hated the bucket, so I always wore them anyways. But curious.

Evolily

Which Eddie Bauer? If it's an Eddie Bauer Surefit, and you trust that nothing has been done the seat to render it unsafe (no crashes, she didn't wash the harness, she has the manual, etc), then I'd be more than comfortable using it. It's also called the "Safety 1st Onboard", and is probably in the top 4-5 infant seats people around here are recommending :) . If it is any other Eddie Bauer (Dorel) infant seat, though, I would avoid it if possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC